What's Going on with Everyone's Lives

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: What's Going on with Everyone's Lives

Post by Madner Kami »

hammerofglass wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:16 am Those are some great pictures!
Thank you very much :)
hammerofglass wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:16 amHad my car in the shop for MONTHS while they were waiting on parts (just plastic shell stuff but enough to keep it from being street legal). Every dealer around me was sold out of everything but pickups and SUVs as of August. Insurance paid most of the rental so it wasn't as bad as could have been.
Yeah, part-supply can be quite the issue ever since CoViD killed the old world. I figured out that my car's oil wasn't exchanged/topped up, when the turbocharger blew up, as it was running dry (normally the on-board computer would warn you, but they somehow found the drive to deactivate the maintenance-computer, while they couldn't be bothered to change the oil...). Getting a replacement took almost a month (breaks took similarly long and my garage at first offered to install the sports-version breaks, but it turned out I'd have waited for nearly 3 months for the delivery, so Type R breaks it became, waiting time just under 3 weeks). My new garage was so nice to supply me with a replacement for minimal extra costs (they'll get their fair share once the pending trial is resolved), a contemporary HR-V, hybrid-driven kinda-SUV.

Side/Rear

Front seating

Front seating from outside

Trunk

Engine Bay

I can recommend. Not my cup of tea, as I like sitting close to the road, but a pretty good design. Wierdly enough, my Civic has a larger trunk. But can't blame the HR-V for that, as the large trunk was one of the many reasons for why I opted for the Civic. Because when being on vacation, I tend to bring along quite some electronic and camping equipment, as well as having the option of using the tipped-over rear seating+trunk as a sleeeping space. Have I mentioned, that I absolutely fell in love with the 10th gen Civic? Easily one of the best vehicles you can get for the money and it's front design is a bit more old-school, than the wide-mouthed frog-look so many cars had at the time (and still do). Sorry for fanboying there :P
hammerofglass wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:16 amFor new in life, I got transferred to a new department in the same company. Working days for the first time in a decade, it's nice but work being the beginning of the day not the end is a big shift. Finally got all my ID to have the same name on it, yay bureaucracy.
Congrats! I absolutely loved being on permanent night-shift, back when I was in the modernization team of my company, but I understand the troubles involved all too well. Enjoy the change of life. Change keeps our brains fresh :)
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Riedquat wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:08 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:56 pm
McAvoy wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:30 am Yeah my old 07 Nissan was still mostly analog but this new Honda I got has way too much. And from what I am hearing these gadgets do have issues. Alot of new cars have electrical issues.
10th gen Civics definitly not. Got a 2017 model and the worst things I went through was that a garage failed to exchange *and* refill the oil, which the car was specifically for in said garage. Well and having to exchange the breaks after three years of use, which is mostly down to me having driven the Autobahn a lot (both for work and vacation), making extensive use of the natural traits of the car and putting the pedal to the metal and thus emergency breaking a whole lot more than the average user has to (I am using the Type R's sport breaks now, on my 129hp 998ccm engined hatchback... :roll: ).
Seems pretty hard to get hold of second hand Civics at the moment.

The annoying thing is that my useage pattern would really suit an electric, but I really loathe the computers on wheels that are all modern cars, which means any half decent electric car. Hopefully at some point conversions for very ordinary older cars will be reasonably affordable and decent.
Or first hand Civic. When I was looking around last week no one had 2022 Civics.

And since I was not willing to deal with potential issues with the 1.5L engine (fuel leaking into the oil, diluting it) so I was stuck with the standard 2.0L one. Which is very reliable. But limited my choices.

Yeah the trend of replacing a car every five to eight years is gone. Most people now will drive their car far longer due to cars being so expensive, cars being far more reliable than before and the economy.
I got nothing to say here.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

McAvoy wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:28 pm Or first hand Civic. When I was looking around last week no one had 2022 Civics.

And since I was not willing to deal with potential issues with the 1.5L engine (fuel leaking into the oil, diluting it) so I was stuck with the standard 2.0L one. Which is very reliable. But limited my choices.

Yeah the trend of replacing a car every five to eight years is gone. Most people now will drive their car far longer due to cars being so expensive, cars being far more reliable than before and the economy.
I can actually comment on that issue. My workplace is only about 10 minutes away from my home on foot. If I drive just these short distances for several days in a row in colder weather (especially winter, d'uh), I can smell the unburned fuel if the windows are down.
The solution is really simple: Just don't do these short-trips. I've not once encountered this issue on regular useage, where the engine actually gets a chance to get warm (10 minutes is more than enough for that) and doing such short trips is poison for both any car and the environment at large anyways, not to even speak of your health :lol:
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

McAvoy wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:28 pm
Riedquat wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:08 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:56 pm
McAvoy wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:30 am Yeah my old 07 Nissan was still mostly analog but this new Honda I got has way too much. And from what I am hearing these gadgets do have issues. Alot of new cars have electrical issues.
10th gen Civics definitly not. Got a 2017 model and the worst things I went through was that a garage failed to exchange *and* refill the oil, which the car was specifically for in said garage. Well and having to exchange the breaks after three years of use, which is mostly down to me having driven the Autobahn a lot (both for work and vacation), making extensive use of the natural traits of the car and putting the pedal to the metal and thus emergency breaking a whole lot more than the average user has to (I am using the Type R's sport breaks now, on my 129hp 998ccm engined hatchback... :roll: ).
Seems pretty hard to get hold of second hand Civics at the moment.

The annoying thing is that my useage pattern would really suit an electric, but I really loathe the computers on wheels that are all modern cars, which means any half decent electric car. Hopefully at some point conversions for very ordinary older cars will be reasonably affordable and decent.
Or first hand Civic. When I was looking around last week no one had 2022 Civics.

I've had my car for seven years now and even then it was second hand. Its falling apart a bit but still goes just fine. Never understood why anyone would buy ''new'' tbh. It loses a quarter of its value the moment you drive it off the forecourt. Might as well buy something next to new for less money.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

It is my birthday.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:38 pm It is my birthday.
My condolences for having lost another year of your life ;)
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Madner Kami wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:39 pm
My condolences for having lost another year of your life ;)
I haven't celebrated a birthday in years because that is exactly how I feel about them. A birthday is nothing more than the hour hand slowly moving its way around your clock towards that inevitable moment that it either strikes 12 or breaks down.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Good for you. Good to know ones beliefs
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Personally I've always seen birthdays as marking you survived this many years and celebrating your good fortune.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.