Full Moon

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
jstrahan
Officer

Re: Full Moon

Post by jstrahan »

SFDebris wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:47 pm Did anyone think the day would come when people hoped to get Full Moon even more often? :lol:
And I'm happy to see it. :) Best review so far. You have done justice with one of my favorite anime.
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

I never knew the MASH theme had lyrics. I heard the instrumental part as I'd watch the old reruns as a kid. But I never heard, or had any clue, that there was more to it than that.

I recognized it as the MASH theme immediately though, and would have even if MASH hadn't been mentioned in the review prior to that moment. It fit the scene of Mitsuki was ready to kill herself so perfectly.
AllanO
Officer

Post by AllanO »

BunBun299 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:12 pm I never knew the MASH theme had lyrics. I heard the instrumental part as I'd watch the old reruns as a kid. But I never heard, or had any clue, that there was more to it than that.
The lyrics are used in with the tune in the opening of the movie, the movie came first (and had a completely different cast than the TV show). I remember seeing the movie for the first time after having seen the TV show in reruns for years. Presumably the lyrics could not get around broadcast standards and practices.

Anyway yes very appropriate music choice...
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

"It is with philosophy as with religion : men marvel at the absurdity of other people's tenets, while exactly parallel absurdities remain in their own." John Stuart Mill
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

kyuven wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:06 pmI also watched Saikano. Which probably doesn't have the SAME emotional weight and swerve that Full Moon has, since it's much shorter and telegraphs the tragedy much more (to the point I'm not even really spoiling anything since anyone with half a brain will be able to say "War torn near-future with a guy's girlfriend being a deadly WMD? And the subtitle is "The Last Love Song on This Little Planet"? Yeah THAT'S not obvious...") but still...

It says something that the original fansub group for the anime PUT IN A DISCLAIMER after a certain episode that said "This is a good ending point for the series. It gets more depressing from here. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED."

I actually bought that in the manga as it was coming out ages ago. It was sad, a couple people died, but it was a war story so what do you expect, but at its core it was sweet and i got to the end of volume 6 and went "Yeah, that was a sad story to be sure, but an okay ending. I'll probably reread this sometime in the future."

....and then three months later volume 7 came out.

Yeeeeah. That.... was a bit much.
jstrahan
Officer

Post by jstrahan »

SPOILER ALERT

This is actually from the manga, but if you are curious about how Meroko became a shinigami (you have to commit suicide), read below.

Meroko was born as a wealthy young girl, Moe Rikyo, and was best friends with Fuzuki (Grandma) during her youth. Since Fuzuki was ill, Fuzuki's parents had asked Moe to visit their daughter everyday. So after school everyday, she would visit Fuzuki who was not allowed to go to school. One day, the girls ran into a handsome man playing a violin. Both girls were taken away by his talent, and later learned that he was actually Seijyuro Koga. Moe was the one, however, who had feelings for him. Fuzuki felt it was not worth fighting with a friend, so she accepted it with grace, and was happy for her. The three eventually became a strong trio of friends, when everything went wrong. Moe was told that Fuzuki was very ill, and that she could not see her anymore. She soon was being forced into a marriage with Fuzuki's former fiance Kimiharu. When Moe visits Fuzuki, she finds her kissing Seijyuro. After feeling betrayed by her best friend and defending herself from Kimiharu's advances, Moe decides to commit suicide by slitting her wrists.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I'M NOT CRYING, YOU'RE CRYING!

Dear GODS that was an intense review. I kept pausing it to fetch more tissues.

I, for one, did not see the use of the MASH theme song coming.

The last time I saw something this sad on a kid-aimed show I was watching a failed tooth fairy get literally sent to Hell.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
jstrahan
Officer

Post by jstrahan »

SPOILER ALERT

From the manga, here is how Izumi became a shinigami. Read below if you are interested.

In his human life, he was a boy named Lio Izumi (泉利緒 Izumi Rio) whose mother was abusive; it is implied that the young Izumi looked much like his late father, thus invoking his mother's rage. In a desperate attempt to see his mother smile again, six-year-old Izumi ran onto the train tracks - but though he saw his mother smile as he was hit, Izumi woke up again as a shinigami, dissatisfied.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Wargriffin wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:12 pm Yep the Child suicide victim is trying to get the orphan sick girl to jump... its suicide inception!
I think you mean recursion. It's just a long chain of self-harm. :( Inception would mean it's starting here, which is quite the opposite.
jstrahan
Officer

Post by jstrahan »

What a change from the first season. Comedy/slapstick followed by serious drama. Anyway, Jonathan is not what he appears. It is not explained in the anime, but is in the manga. Does it matter if I reveal it here, a review of the anime, not the manga?
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

jstrahan wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:48 pm What a change from the first season. Comedy/slapstick followed by serious drama. Anyway, Jonathan is not what he appears. It is not explained in the anime, but is in the manga. Does it matter if I reveal it here, a review of the anime, not the manga?
I'd wait till 52 before we go into ALL the major little changes

since one of them is really important to two of the characters
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."