Full Moon

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
TheNewTeddy
Officer

Re: Full Moon

Post by TheNewTeddy »

Jesus christ chuck.

I've always known that you are a god when it comes to choosing the proper music.

When that song started playing I instantly had three thoughts?

1 "Oh god not this song"
2 "Oh god. Its the version with the full lyrics"
3 "Fuck you chuck"

I love you chuck. but god damn. if you didn't send me on an emotional roller coaster.

you are the best reviewer I watch.
Nevix
Officer

Post by Nevix »

TheNewTeddy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:54 am Jesus christ chuck.

I've always known that you are a god when it comes to choosing the proper music.

When that song started playing I instantly had three thoughts?

1 "Oh god not this song"
2 "Oh god. Its the version with the full lyrics"
3 "Fuck you chuck"

I love you chuck. but god damn. if you didn't send me on an emotional roller coaster.

you are the best reviewer I watch.
well they're not the words or the degrees I would use to describe my reaction to that song being played...

It's pretty damn close, up to and including SF debris being one of my favorite reviewers.

I literally could not listen to that whole song and I had to skim through it to get the gist of what was happening, while also turning the volume down on my headphones.

Izumi is a complete monster of a character, and it deserves any beating he gets.

The grandmother is also rather despicable, and there are people I know who will hate that character for how she treats Mitsuki, because the grandmother is downright abusive for most of the series thus far.

I want to get a clue into the grandmother's had for how much of a horrible person she was.
Ikiry0 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:09 pm Jesus Christ Full Moon. How did you get darker than 'small girl waiting to die on the grave of her only friend from the orphanage'?
Japanese writers pull no punches even when it comes two works written for young teenagers and preteens.

There are some series out there that just have no joy in them, which make most of full moon look like a walk through the park what a cheery sunny day with chirping happy birds singing along.

I honestly hope that Chuck never gets stuck covering any series that awful/dark. For a point of reference, if you watched the miracle day review for Torchwood, that's how dark and awful it gets and some anime.

Anybody reading this who can support SF debris, I would like to humbly request further donations to the Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood reviews.

Or maybe more gargoyles reviews.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

I'm a huge MASH fan, and I knew as soon as he put a random clip at the start of the video that he'd end up using that song.

And man, did he use it.

Well done Chuck.
Darmani
Officer

Post by Darmani »

Lo I am owned
Okay I knew the theme song to mash had a lyrical version. I remember hearing something of the words while seeing a TV advertisement for a broadcast of movie version. Now naturally what with the somber music and even my association with the opening I figured it would be a downer. I mean while Mash is a pretty robust series covering all sorts of drama comedy loss gain and everything in between even as I grew up watching the show as a comedy while getting bored with the traumatic parts...

That opening was pretty somber with a rather boring look of a helicopter coming in as people in the long-distance come out and pull someone from it while they're on a stretcher and we don't even know whether they live or die who that person is or if they are saved

So I was expecting something to do with isolation or loss of lives or any number of things associated with you know sadness and War.
And then I hear the lyrics and holy shit this is not a sad song, this is... damn I know that you shouldn't actually ban music, but I could only argue not to do so for this song on principle and I understand why it's non lyrical version is the more popular.

It's an overall downer song that somehow hit the LIE brings forth harsh truths of existential Los dread and death. All while in the chorus selling a lie

Now for the self-righteous aside: no suicide is not painless at least most forms that are attempted usually involve a great deal of pain or there's a reason why people have to use some form of pain relief or Narcotics or drugging in order to push themselves to go through with that. Those are just immediate victims. the survivors of course are left in the lot of pain
Needless self-righteous PSA over but well I still felt compelled to give it

Other thing is it's so good at seducing you to the point you can feel her exaughstin and Desperation.
I do appreciate the fact that they don't cheat with Granny. She is getting what she wants and she's happy for it

At first.
This feels more real than any other point of her turn around. As does her berating the doctor at the airport because he's obviously failed

I am starting to see why chucks got this show as recommendation and why he's come to expect it as opposed to other anime recommendations where he's been somewhat indifferent if still loyal to the request
Last edited by Darmani on Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

Wargriffin wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:57 pmMan Its kinda sad Chuck's making us wait a month for more of this Rollercoaster
Did anyone think the day would come when people hoped to get Full Moon even more often? :lol:
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
Darmani
Officer

Post by Darmani »

SFDebris wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:47 pm
Wargriffin wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:57 pmMan Its kinda sad Chuck's making us wait a month for more of this Rollercoaster
Did anyone think the day would come when people hoped to get Full Moon even more often? :lol:
Text said you picked the right show it seems as if you I don't know if you liked it but in terms of be content that reproduce regarding it as well as the pace and other such things you really do make watching you review and analyze it very interesting plus it feels very Divergent from yet another take on man Voyager sure does suck and is disappointing ditto Enterprise

Which at this point both are over 10 years old and it's not like you haven't said anything pretty cool just how much more is there to cover? By contrast you wanted me to go back to eyebrow doctor even though I thought he was okay. I feel like suddenly I missed something that I actually saw because you gave me a new appreciation for it.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Darmani wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:10 pmSuicide in painless
Watch the movie. The song actually has a very different context to it than the lyrics would suggest.

It's also a good movie. Not as good as the series, but the series had 11 years to develop.

I grew up on Mash and like the song, with lyrics, quite a bit. its sad and depressing, and paired with Full Moon in the context like it was it's... super dark. But the song it good and deserves to exist.

Also the non lyrics version is more popular because that was the tv theme, which people heard weekly for years, while the lyric version is just the once.
kyuven
Redshirt

Post by kyuven »

I watched this years ago...but jesus christ i was bawling a little bit at the granny scenes on the roof.

IN A REVIEW.

I'm now remembering why people kept saying this was one of the saddest anime they've ever seen before whenever the topic came up.

Though...personally, around the same time i watched full moon, I also watched Saikano. Which probably doesn't have the SAME emotional weight and swerve that Full Moon has, since it's much shorter and telegraphs the tragedy much more (to the point I'm not even really spoiling anything since anyone with half a brain will be able to say "War torn near-future with a guy's girlfriend being a deadly WMD? And the subtitle is "The Last Love Song on This Little Planet"? Yeah THAT'S not obvious...") but still...

It says something that the original fansub group for the anime PUT IN A DISCLAIMER after a certain episode that said "This is a good ending point for the series. It gets more depressing from here. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED."

I still hear the insert song, the titular "Last Love Song" that plays in the background throughout the series in my head:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJfF83NkFQM

Ikiry0 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:09 pm Jesus Christ Full Moon. How did you get darker than 'small girl waiting to die on the grave of her only friend from the orphanage'?
I mean, I almost want to turn this into a game.

How much more fucked up can you make the scenario?

How about:
-It turns out Eichi died because the pilot fell asleep listening to Eternal Snow.
-Dr. Wakaoji killed her parents and Takuto through medical malpractice.
-Takuto wasn't there to catch Granny.
-Due to a series of slips of the tongue, people think Madoka kidnapped or killed Full Moon.
-The doctor that can perform the surgery dies in a plane crash too.
-Izumi was the one responsible for...OK i can't really make him more fucked up than he already is.

Or jeez just take a note from real life and pull out an idol singer controversy of the week. Some of them are REALLY fucked up.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

The thing about Izumi is he's more outright villainous in the anime then in the manga, Hes pretty much like all the Shinigami its ridiculously sad

I mean Anime Izumi doesn't know much about being a person

He's been a Shinigami since he was six unlike Meroko or Takuto who were Young adults when they killed themselves

Yep the Child suicide victim is trying to get the orphan sick girl to jump... its suicide inception!
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

The choice, timing, and framing of the MASH intro was inspired. I' don't watch much anime -- I've tried but I just can't get into it. But the Full Moon reviews are some of my favorites, and the series itself seems well-done.

Not how I expected granny to rescue Mitsuki, but then her being an actual Sith was just a guess on my part.