SW The Old Republic: Sith Warrior

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: SW The Old Republic: Sith Warrior

Post by Karha of Honor »

mathewgsmith wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:51 am Original statement: "X sucks because he's in category Y."
Someone in or sympathetic to category Y: "What the heck, man?"
Third party: "Lol, are you seriously defending X?"
If i have 8 fingers does not mean i have to cape for everyone else who only has 8 fingers no matter the context.
Zefram Mann
Redshirt

Post by Zefram Mann »

SabreMau wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:04 am
mathewgsmith wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:51 amOriginal statement: "X sucks because he's in category Y."
But Baras doesn't suck because he's in category Y.
Then why is "because he's in catagory y" the punchline to most of the jokes at his expense?
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Zefram Mann wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:57 pm
mathewgsmith wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:51 amOriginal statement: "X sucks because he's in category Y."
Then why is "because he's in catagory y" the punchline to most of the jokes at his expense?
His fatness and bad personality is a unique combination inviting it...
Zefram Mann
Redshirt

Post by Zefram Mann »

Karha of Honor wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:39 pm
That's an excuse, not an explanation or justification. It's also as lazy and low-effort as fat jokes.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Zefram Mann wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:52 pm
Karha of Honor wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:39 pm
That's an excuse, not an explanation or justification. It's also as lazy and low-effort as fat jokes.
Neither one those is owed.
George Carlin fat joke /=/ random persopn fat joke.
TheStarWarsTrek
Officer

Post by TheStarWarsTrek »

Curse my ability to see both sides of every issue.

On the one hand, we do tend to find it funny when bad things happen to bad people. Seeing a random person get hit by a bus? Not funny. Seeing Regina George at the end of Mean Girls getting hit by a bus? Hilarious.

On the other hand, if Chuck was playing an X-men game where you fight Magneto and an Evil Alternate Universe Professor X, and made a holocaust or wheelchair joke I found tasteless, I'd find "it's ok because he's making fun of bad guys" to be a pretty hollow defense. (Not a perfect analogy, I'm not saying that being disabled or being Jewish is on par with being overweight, just the closest example I could think of).

Personally, as an overweight person, I don't really find the "Barris is fat" jokes offensive, but they are a bit repetitive and annoying.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I will say I got a belly laugh out of the stairs one, but I think he stole that from one of the Kung Fu Panda movies.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

The URL tag is broken on the forum at the moment (if I try to edit an old post it changes it from working to just setting [url][/url] around it), but here's Part 4, with Jaesa here to try to fix things.

http://sfdebris.com/videos/games/swtorsw.php
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

So Chuck probably missed it but, if you log out in the interlude between Act 1 and Act 2 (aka, immediately after you get Jaesa) the title card actually ALSO misgenders the fem Sith Warrior. Further, it was Vette who was bugged in the beta to be able to romance women, which was clearly a bug because she referred to you as a man. It's just a weird thing that keeps popping up xD
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

To perhaps shed some light on things:
First, the original intention was for the Ripley-Baras relationship to parallel that of Mork and Orson from the show Mork and Mindy, where Orson was this powerful being in need of the utmost respect, and Mork always putting in those kind of mocking asides.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UY5lsZZ6iw

Today's outing was what had first inspired that revelation, the line about the great respect made that bit pop into my head, and I kept it in here because that was the original impetus for this relationship.

Also, while this is coming out rather quickly here, the original release was separated by far greater spans of time (the first part was sent out to Patreon supporters nearly six months ago). So most of what you're seeing was created before anyone here offered any feedback.

What feedback I did receive was that this Ripley-Baras thing was great and there needed to be more of it. I'm not passing the buck, I just mean that from what I was hearing, people wanted to hear more rather than less (hence why part 3 ramped it up, as part 2 was much farther along at this time).

It was never my intention to mock anyone else. As I'll comment in the upcoming review of Is There In Truth No Beauty, I tend to not repeatedly insult someone's physical appearance unless their personality is likewise vile, or the work itself insists upon doing the same (see Saturday's review of Five Days To Midnight for an example of a character created intentionally to be the butt of those jokes).

I apologize if anyone felt they were the target of my mockery, please believe me when I say the only one intended to be insulted is someone whose awful behavior deserves to be insulted.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope