Picard - Maps and Legends

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Re: Picard - Maps and Legends

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

GreyICE wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:20 pm
CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:49 am I still don't know about the "sounding stilted and forced", though. I mean, it's kinda sad to assume, that our society didn't evolve in the next 380 years or so and still fall back on gutter language, when we are angry, but on the other hand: There once was a guy, who said "We will evolve beyond all that" - but then people were moaning, that you cannot write character drama with characters, who have no flaws.
Man, back in Roman times people were swearing with fuck (futuo - amazing how that has survived virtually unchanged). Although the Roman word for clitoris was both more popular and fouler, as the Romans were famous for cursing. They also gave people the middle finger - being the longest, it was likened to a cock, so it was very literally "fuck you". So laugh next time someone tells you the British/French bow story - middle fingers mean "I'm going to shove my cock in your ass", and that predates Britain and France.

Gonna be a long time before we evolve out of that one.
It's been a long road - getting from there to here
Gotta say, although that song is not liked much in the fandom, I know, that it is one of my favourites since Enterprise first aired. I was turning 18 at that point, and thought "nice song, and it is definitely something different." So, I have faith of the heart that, as the great bird of the galaxy once said, we will be this evolved, that giving the finger, swearing, tell someone to "suck it up, Buttercup" will be things of the past, and that we can prove, that we are more than just a bunch of naked apes, who play pretend that they're civilized.

I have faith to believe that we can do that. A man can dream, now, can't he?

And maybe, we as a civilization will be that enlightend in the real 2399, that people like Admiral Sweary Mc Swearington, will be the minority, because the rest of us can talk, without saying "no fucking kidding" every 10 milliseconds.
So - if Admiral Swearyface would be real, she'd annoy the hell out of me.

Since this is a TV-Show made in 2019 and people still talk like they'd be the Nostalgia Critic or the AVGN (I'm no exception to that rule, believe me), I think, that this is rather amusing, to see these supposedly noble people, those Starfleet-girls and guys suddenly talk, as if they'd been cast on the street.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:04 pm It's been a long road - getting from there to here
Gotta say, although that song is not liked much in the fandom, I know, that it is one of my favourites since Enterprise first aired. I was turning 18 at that point, and thought "nice song, and it is definitely something different." So, I have faith of the heart that, as the great bird of the galaxy once said, we will be this evolved, that giving the finger, swearing, tell someone to "suck it up, Buttercup" will be things of the past, and that we can prove, that we are more than just a bunch of naked apes, who play pretend that they're civilized.
It's been a long road getting from swearing a bunch to swearing a bunch. I'm pretty sure that's not a road, that's an encampment, and humanity has pitched a tent there.In the grand enlightened future, we'll have all sorts of new swears. I'm pretty sure we'll stop having fingers many, many centuries before we stop giving people the finger.

Not even joking about that last one.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:04 pm
GreyICE wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:20 pm
CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:49 am I still don't know about the "sounding stilted and forced", though. I mean, it's kinda sad to assume, that our society didn't evolve in the next 380 years or so and still fall back on gutter language, when we are angry, but on the other hand: There once was a guy, who said "We will evolve beyond all that" - but then people were moaning, that you cannot write character drama with characters, who have no flaws.
Man, back in Roman times people were swearing with fuck (futuo - amazing how that has survived virtually unchanged). Although the Roman word for clitoris was both more popular and fouler, as the Romans were famous for cursing. They also gave people the middle finger - being the longest, it was likened to a cock, so it was very literally "fuck you". So laugh next time someone tells you the British/French bow story - middle fingers mean "I'm going to shove my cock in your ass", and that predates Britain and France.

Gonna be a long time before we evolve out of that one.
It's been a long road - getting from there to here

I have faith to believe that we can do that. A man can dream, now, can't he?

And maybe, we as a civilization will be that enlightend in the real 2399, that people like Admiral Sweary Mc Swearington, will be the minority, because the rest of us can talk, without saying "no fucking kidding" every 10 milliseconds.
So - if Admiral Swearyface would be real, she'd annoy the hell out of me.

Since this is a TV-Show made in 2019 and people still talk like they'd be the Nostalgia Critic or the AVGN (I'm no exception to that rule, believe me), I think, that this is rather amusing, to see these supposedly noble people, those Starfleet-girls and guys suddenly talk, as if they'd been cast on the street.
I have never, ever understood the hate for that song. Those lyrics over images of exploration from ancient times to a warp powered starship - that is everything Star Trek should be about. And that aside, at least its memorable. STD and Picard have generic ''dark sci-fi'' theme tunes that you could safely find on any bargain bin DVD down the local mart.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

clearspira wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:30 pmI have never, ever understood the hate for that song. Those lyrics over images of exploration from ancient times to a warp powered starship - that is everything Star Trek should be about. And that aside, at least its memorable. STD and Picard have generic ''dark sci-fi'' theme tunes that you could safely find on any bargain bin DVD down the local mart.
ehhhhh I think it's more taking the narrative of Star Trek and making a theme around specifically that. I'm not the biggest fan of the symbolic symphony tones, but this song is kind of a step in the wrong direction. Weirdly the TOS theme is the one I've cared about the least, but it probably best serves what the show it's opening, as I'm thinking of it now. The TNG/TMP theme was just an opening crawl theme they made for Trek instead of Star Wars, and is my favorite still, but isn't really TNG's in its own.

But don't worry, I do have faith of the heart by the time the show ended.
Power laces... alright.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

if it would've been for Roddenberry, the episode "The Bonding" would have played out like that:
Picard: "Jeremy, there has been an accident - your mum died."
Jeremy: "Oh."
Picard: But we take care of you.
Jeremy: I understand, Captain Picard and thank you.

Yeah, not that good of a source for personal drama.
But if you want to involve drama in your story, you can't have "highly evolved characters" in it. They need to have flaws - and that includes, but is not limited to: being irrational, being angry and sometimes cursing like there'd be no tomorrow.
I do see what you mean here, we do want our heroes to have some flaw or character failing for them to overcome, and the stories to have drama and stakes to them, and while Gene Roddenberry's future is always one to strive for, unfortunately as in "The Bonding" and a lot of early episodes of The Next Generation, that mindset is more of a creative hinderance for creating stories, as the writers of the time even called this mindset the Roddenberry Box, and even when episodes have followed this, the characters sound incredibly condescending and smug, and end up feeling less human because of it.

However that doesn't mean the characters need to be as you say irritating, angry and cursing like there'd be no tomorrow all the times, there is a middle ground to be found when writing a character in Star Trek so they are someone to look up to but not be so perfect they may as well be a robot but not so imperfect that they are irredeemable, personally I think Star Trek Picard has does this well, the characters are certainly flawed, but they do try to be better and in the end they do become better people.

Captain Kirk once said:

"All right. It's instinctive. But the instinct can be fought. We're human beings with the blood of a million savage years on our hands, but we can stop it. We can admit that we're killers, but we're not going to kill today. That's all it takes. Knowing that we won't kill today"

And for me personally this is what makes a great Star Trek character, someone that recognizes their own failings and capability's, know they can do terrible things, but don't act on them, and try to be better each day, and even when they'll get it wrong and they do give into those instincts, more importantly they'll recognize that and try to be better next time, perfection is not a goal, it's a destination, it's not about whether we have abolished swearing or grieving in the future, it's about trying to improve ourselves in spite of our flaws.

Gene Roddenberry's future isn't something we are magically going to evolve into, it's going to take time and effort, and most times we'll get it wrong but we'll try to be better next time, and right now we all have the capacity to be as kind and decent as the characters in Star Trek are without the need to evolve.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:48 pm
clearspira wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:30 pmI have never, ever understood the hate for that song. Those lyrics over images of exploration from ancient times to a warp powered starship - that is everything Star Trek should be about. And that aside, at least its memorable. Star Trek Discovery and Star Trek Picard have generic ''dark sci-fi'' theme tunes that you could safely find on any bargain bin DVD down the local mart.
ehhhhh I think it's more taking the narrative of Star Trek and making a theme around specifically that. I'm not the biggest fan of the symbolic symphony tones, but this song is kind of a step in the wrong direction. Weirdly the TOS theme is the one I've cared about the least, but it probably best serves what the show it's opening, as I'm thinking of it now. The TNG/TMP theme was just an opening crawl theme they made for Trek instead of Star Wars, and is my favorite still, but isn't really TNG's in its own.

Personally I like the theme to Star Trek Picard, sounds absolute beautiful with amazing imageryalong side it, the theme to Star Trek Discovery is pretty good too, and honestly the score to both series are fantastic, both done by Jeff Russo, definitely an improvement over the background music in late The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise, but I've always got a soft spot for the music in The Original Series, always loved how shows sounded back then, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons is another great example.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Archon_Wing
Redshirt

Post by Archon_Wing »

Now I just want to replace Clancy with Janeway.

But you have to give Clancy credit. Despite the fact that she clearly hates Picard and thinks he's crazy, she did still pass on the information to Starfleet Security so she wasn't just being a complete ass for the sake of it.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Link8909 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:47 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:48 pm
clearspira wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:30 pmI have never, ever understood the hate for that song. Those lyrics over images of exploration from ancient times to a warp powered starship - that is everything Star Trek should be about. And that aside, at least its memorable. Star Trek Discovery and Star Trek Picard have generic ''dark sci-fi'' theme tunes that you could safely find on any bargain bin DVD down the local mart.

Personally I like the theme to Star Trek Picard, sounds absolute beautiful with amazing imageryalong side it, the theme to Star Trek Discovery is pretty good too, and honestly the score to both series are fantastic, both done by Jeff Russo, definitely an improvement over the background music in late The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise, but I've always got a soft spot for the music in The Original Series, always loved how shows sounded back then, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons is another great example.
Yes. I can't remember the Picard theme, but I feel it's an upgrade to Discovery's theme. For a moment I thought the show would might have some aesthetic scenes where we can appreciate humanity from a different perspective and sulk; you know, how the theme is, but the show features a lot of fast heavy and dark thematism.
Power laces... alright.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

Archon_Wing wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:39 pm Now I just want to replace Clancy with Janeway.

But you have to give Clancy credit. Despite the fact that she clearly hates Picard and thinks he's crazy, she did still pass on the information to Starfleet Security so she wasn't just being a complete ass for the sake of it.
You say that like it's a good thing.
SPOILER
Star Fleet Security includes even more Romulan spies than British Security includes Soviet spies.

Romulus has the dreaded Secret Police and the dreaded Secret Police fears the even dreadeder Secreter Policer.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Artabax wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:21 pm
Archon_Wing wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:39 pm Now I just want to replace Clancy with Janeway.

You say that like it's a good thing.
SPOILER
Star Fleet Security includes even more Romulan spies than British Security includes Soviet spies.

Romulus has the dreaded Secret Police and the dreaded Secret Police fears the even dreadeder Secreter Policer.
and hopefully we'll see Ensign Clancy in Season Two so we can explore that error and assholery indepth.