STD: What's Past is Prologue

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: STD: What's Past is Prologue

Post by clearspira »

Actarus wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:07 pm
clearspira wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:30 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:16 pm Oh? What theme song is it?
Here is the full text of the sound bite that Chuck chose:

Just stop your crying
It's a sign of the times
We gotta get away from here
Stop your crying
Baby, it will be alright
They told me that the end is near
It could reflect his opinion on the show, but I doubt it. Most of the theme songs he chose were not really related to the shows, except that they were contemporaneous with the show and were trippy enough. The song he chose for TOS is "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", covered by William Shatner, a song of the 1960's. TAS is "Layla" by Eric Clapton, released in 1970 (TAS aired in 1973). TNG is "99 Red Baloons", by Nena, released in the 1980's like TNG. DS9 and "The Mystic's Dream" are both from the 1990's. Same with Voyager's "Harley and Indians". "Kryptonite" was released in 2000, while Enterprise first aired in 2001. Both Discovery and "Signs of the Time" are from 2017. Can we say that each of these songs relates in any way with its respective show? For myself, I can't see how "99 Red Baloons" reflects Chuck's opinion on TNG.

I'm looking forward to learn Chuck's opinion on the show though. As for myself, I think it is pretty solid, considering it's a first season.
I'm starting to think his Discovery opinions may be the Christmas special. If he thinks the whole series is worthy of a zero for the first time ever then maybe...
Shuboy07
Officer

Re: STD: What's Past is Prologue

Post by Shuboy07 »

Worffan101 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:44 am
Durandal_1707 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:04 pm
BunBun299 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:37 am The way Chuck tears into the Spore Drive in this review is what I've been waiting for. Teleporting around the multiverse because of magic mushrooms is stupid I'd expect Voyager and Enterprise to have enough sense to avoid. And they did avoid it. For all the zany schemes Voyager cooked up to get home, they never tried anything as dumb as magic mushrooms.
Voyager was brought into the Delta Quadrant in the first place by a sporo-cystian lifeform, a term which was never really defined in the show, but going by the name, presumably has something to do with spores. Also, "Equinox" on Voyager introduced the concept of extra-dimensional aliens that you can make you travel faster if you abuse them. So none of this is new, per se.

I could be wrong, but my expectation is that Discovery's going to involve the Caretaker's people at some point, and that they may have something to do with why the Federation dare not use this drive anymore in the future.
Highly unlikely. The only Trek CBS thinks people care about is TOS (and to be fair, only Trekkies really pay attention to Voyager anymore), and a "deep lore" nod like that is way beyond the wheelhouse of a lazy idiot like Alex Kurtzman, who doesn't even bother thinking through the consequences of the shit he throws in his scripts (see: Both scripts he wrote for the JJ movies).
I'm still looking up more info on Discovery's development but from what I've read the plot for the first season was largely crafted by Bryan Fuller and his writing team. So the spore drive was something he created for the show. In fact I have a theory that Kurtzman was primarily a producer and more behind the scenes on the first season (his only writing credit was co-writing the story for The Vulcan Hello). Now that Fuller's team (Berg and Harberts) have been removed from season two, I'm sort of curious if Kurtzman will handle the writing for a probable third season or they promote another writer to help out.