Shows I'd like to see Chuck review

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
TGLS
Captain

Re: Shows I'd like to see Chuck review

Post by TGLS »

Madner Kami wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:38 pm Your complaint is wierd to me, because you complain about a lack of variation while advocating that you want to eat the same meal over and over again.
My complaints weird because I'm conflicted about Stellaris. The game entertains as a game, but as a story, there are problems. There are two parts:

Event Variety: Every time you play the game, the same little story chains happen. Some are highly irregular, others almost always happen. When there's insufficient variety in random events, a game that wants to emphasize exploring loses a little. There reason why there isn't as much variation here makes sense. They need to pay somebody to make all these event sequences. The events have the right amount of flavor, but not enough variety.

Empire Flavor: Compared with events though, there are more than enough empires. It's easy to do this, you just roll some dice to get their positions on the 4 ethical axes, pick valid civics, throw together a starting race, and your off to the races. The problem becomes flavor. You may never see the same empire twice; you don't get a memorable encounter that colors another game. You don't get to read a paragraph of flavor text about the Tic-Tac Confederacy or the Bumblebee Empire. You just see a few settings and a random name. Compare with other 4x games; when you're dealing with Rome, you color it with your knowledge of history; when you're dealing with the University of Planet, you can color with the flavor text you see.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Becca
Redshirt

Post by Becca »

Because it deserves more recognition, as a tribute to the late great Trevor Baxter, and because I feel it’s something that Chuck may enjoy, I would nominate the Doctor Who spin off Jago & Litefoot: Investigators of Infernal Incidents.

It’s an audio drama by Big Finish starring the guest stars of the Tom Baker Victorian era story The Talons of Weng Chiang.

Christopher Benjamin plays the loquacious theatre impresario Henry Gordon Jago, and Trevor Baxter as the gentlemanly pathologist Professor George Litefoot. Also Conrad Asquith reprises his role as PC (now promoted to Sergent) Quick, and Lisa Bowerman who not only directs the series, she also doubles as their friend Ellie Higson- barmaid of Jagos favourite pub- The Red Tavern.

Going it alone without The Doctor, they tackle otherworldly threats in late 19th century London (and beyond!) in their own indefatigable way. The stories vary from steampunk,fantasy, Sherlock-esque mystery, to hammer and lovecraftian horror. But what really makes it is the sheer likeability of the two characters and the odd couple relationship they have.

They honestly feel like they’ve walked out of a Terry Pratchett novel, and hit more of that comedy/drama tone that he had.

What also makes it is seeing their characters develop over the 13 series, and are a prime example of something Chuck touches on a lot- the effect the Doctor has on the humans they meet. Litefoot mentions this in his discription of the Doctor in the trailer for the short story The Jago and Litefoot Revival-

https://soundcloud.com/big-finish/docto ... ne-trailer

I know audiodramas aren’t something Chuck has done yet, but I can’t think of a better series to give a go.

Also, if you subscribe to the free Big Finish newsletter this month, you receive the first story of the first Jago and litefoot boxset:The Bloodless Soldier for free, so anyone can listen and see if it’s worth a go too.

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/ja ... ldier-1850

Edit- adding the animated trailer for the final story, because it's bloomin' marvelous:

https://youtu.be/qRmp8WPamhU
Last edited by Becca on Thu May 24, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

I wonder if Chuck gets around reviewing the Transformers episode "Thief in the Night", which gave us this jewel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNeZBCfSTVk
jstrahan
Officer

Post by jstrahan »

How about The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension?
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

I'd love to see him review the first Iron Man movie.
Lizuka
Officer

Post by Lizuka »

BunBun299 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 5:58 am I'll second Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Lesbians was never the problem in that other anime I can't remember the title of. It was the outright abusive relationship. And while there are aspects of that in RGU, Utena herself is quite opposed to such things, and spends the series protecting Anthy from those who see her as no more than a means to an end.
Speaking of lesbian magical girls, I'd love to see him take a crack at Flip Flappers. Love the show and it has a ton of subtext and emotional weight that you can really sink your teeth into in analyzing it (I feel like especially episodes six and seven), but it also has some undeniable pacing and plotting problems, mostly in the second half.
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

jstrahan wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:46 pm How about The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension?
That would be great.

Also, I can't remember if this has been said already but I'd still love to see what he thinks of the 90's Starship Troopers film.
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman
animalia
Officer

Post by animalia »

I have made a request for episodes 5-8 of Neon Genesis Evangelion. I have also made a request about the The Andromeda Strain both the novel and the films from the late 70's. I am just working out the details with chuck on how to do it.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

animalia wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 1:27 am I have made a request for episodes 5-8 of Neon Genesis Evangelion. I have also made a request about the The Andromeda Strain both the novel and the films from the late 70's. I am just working out the details with chuck on how to do it.
I look forward to both of these things, thank you for making those commissions!
animalia
Officer

Post by animalia »

Robovski wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:20 pm
animalia wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 1:27 am I have made a request for episodes 5-8 of Neon Genesis Evangelion. I have also made a request about the The Andromeda Strain both the novel and the films from the late 70's. I am just working out the details with chuck on how to do it.
I look forward to both of these things, thank you for making those commissions!
No problem. It might be separate reviews for both film and novels focusing on the strengths of both mediums. Or it might be something more along the line of how the film works BOTH as an adaptation and as a story in it's own right. AS well as highlighting what few changes were made. Since this film is one of the few adaptations of Crichton's works that suffers few changes* (and one of the changes made was even viewed by Crichton himself as a positive) it will be about what works best for Chuck in this case. And I STILL have to hear back from him. In dealing with any other sci-fi work based on a novel of Crichton's I would DEFINITELY Insist on separate reviews for each. And I made sure to donate enough money that both can be done if necessary

*The Great Train Robbery is the only other work of Michael Crichton's that I feel was adapted to film well (I guess I shouldn't be surprised as he directed it himself.) But it is historical fiction. Jurassic Park DEFINITELY gets the SPIRIT of the work right (Crichton wrote the first screenplay) but it had to cut out a LOT of material to save time. I feel like this not only cuts down on the action, but also hurts the points the film/novel was trying to make.