Zardoz

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
TheStarWarsTrek
Officer

Re: Zardoz

Post by TheStarWarsTrek »

Beastro wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:55 am
He's just speaking as a typical North American. As one myself I can see why he'd feel that way and agree.
Ah yes, North America, an entire continent, consisting of 579 million people and 23 countries, all of which have one singular culture and one singular view when it comes to how much nudity in films is excessive.
Dargaron
Officer

Post by Dargaron »

TheStarWarsTrek wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:43 pm
Ah yes, North America, an entire continent, consisting of 579 million people and 23 countries, all of which have one singular culture and one singular view when it comes to how much nudity in films is excessive.
Let's be honest: Central America is its own cultural zone, distinct from "North America," the same way that when I get banner-ads for "Date Asian Women" it's never promising pictures of ethnic Turks or Arabs, despite the fact that those people are technically just as "Asian" as someone from Japan or Korea.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

I was made to watch this on daytime cable in 1985. I did not realize how carved up this movie had been.
I find the review funny. (The IRA volunteering guns.) And relieving me that not getting it was basically an accurate assessment.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Zoinksberg wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:10 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:03 pm So, what the sam hill did this have to do with the Wizard of Oz? Why was that the book that broke him?
All-powerful deity in the form of a large talking head turning out to be just a guy who has a few tricks up his sleeves to convince the masses of his all-powerful nature.

Arthur Frayn is the man behind the curtain. There are a few allusions to this when Zed is exploring the room before he first meets the Immortals.
It still seems pretty thin and out of synch with the rest of the film's theming.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

He's just speaking as a typical North American. As one myself I can see why he'd feel that way and agree.
He said ''typical'' not ''everyone''.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

Is this suddenly a geographic debate? Or are we into meta-misunderstanding, like "How can you be provincial in the United States? It has states, not provinces!"
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Zoinksberg
Officer

Post by Zoinksberg »

PerrySimm wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:40 pm Is this suddenly a geographic debate?
Of all the episode discussions, this is the one that becomes a geographic debate instead of a debate on rape or sexism. :lol:
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

rickgriffin wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:11 pm I guess the question then is, is that an inevitable outcome of post-scarcity? Or is it just a boogeyman we tell ourselves in the vein of sour grapes?
Combination of Sour grapes and (let me get all Marxist for a minute) rich people telling poor people that "having leisure time is a curse" and "don't you want to accomplish something with your time?" and "Get back to sowing those shoes or you're out on your ass and I won't even give you your daily dime!"
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

When you think American, "prude" is something that comes to mind, if only in contrast with other nationalisties.

I'm not American, though, as I come from a land just a little bit north of it, yet am of the same strain of culture that produced them I can't exactly say I and they are American now, can I?

Can the snark, you've used more than enough in your first post here.
Dargaron wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:58 pm
when I get banner-ads for "Date Asian Women" it's never promising pictures of ethnic Turks or Arabs, despite the fact that those people are technically just as "Asian" as someone from Japan or Korea.
That one annoys me to no end, especially since we have a couple of words for those from Eastern Asia yet most do not use them now because of assumed racism? I don't know.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:11 am
rickgriffin wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:11 pm I guess the question then is, is that an inevitable outcome of post-scarcity? Or is it just a boogeyman we tell ourselves in the vein of sour grapes?
Combination of Sour grapes and (let me get all Marxist for a minute) rich people telling poor people that "having leisure time is a curse" and "don't you want to accomplish something with your time?" and "Get back to sowing those shoes or you're out on your ass and I won't even give you your daily dime!"
In the U.S., anyway, higher earners tend to work significantly longer hours.