Stargate SG-1: Hathor

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Stargate SG-1: Hathor

Post by clearspira »

I remember that there was an episode where Teal'c gets put on trial as a witch on a Christian themed world. So the Abrahamic God is confirmed to be fake in Stargate? Then why do so many in the program still worship Him? And if not, how did He end up on that planet? I'm confused.

And funnily enough, according to wikipedia, it was Christianity that directly ended the Egyptian religion so Jesus would have been around when everyone was still talking about how aliens ruled the Earth and yet no stories are told about it in the Bible. And that really is the nail in the coffin for the ancient astronaut theory: why so little written, artistic and archaeological evidence? If aliens really invaded the Earth, there would be so much more evidence than just the ''pyramids as landing pads''. The relics in this show are always conveniently found in sealed caverns by the US military as opposed to anyone else by just digging (and no, they can't possibly silence everyone).
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

clearspira wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:45 am I remember that there was an episode where Teal'c gets put on trial as a witch on a Christian themed world. So the Abrahamic God is confirmed to be fake in Stargate? Then why do so many in the program still worship Him? And if not, how did He end up on that planet? I'm confused.
They came this close -> || to having God be a Goa'uld with some of the Kinsey plot near the end.
FlynnTaggart
Officer

Post by FlynnTaggart »

clearspira wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:45 am I remember that there was an episode where Teal'c gets put on trial as a witch on a Christian themed world. So the Abrahamic God is confirmed to be fake in Stargate? Then why do so many in the program still worship Him? And if not, how did He end up on that planet? I'm confused.

And funnily enough, according to wikipedia, it was Christianity that directly ended the Egyptian religion so Jesus would have been around when everyone was still talking about how aliens ruled the Earth and yet no stories are told about it in the Bible. And that really is the nail in the coffin for the ancient astronaut theory: why so little written, artistic and archaeological evidence? If aliens really invaded the Earth, there would be so much more evidence than just the ''pyramids as landing pads''. The relics in this show are always conveniently found in sealed caverns by the US military as opposed to anyone else by just digging (and no, they can't possibly silence everyone).
Looking up the episode, it doesn't seem like it was confirmed Gawd is a Go'uld, there was a Unas possessing symbiote (apparently sent by Sokar probably playing into the Christian mythology of the villagers) that later takes the religious leader of the people Canon as host but thats about it. Any information I can find does not show any confirmation in any other episode as to whether Yahweh was a snake dude. Presumably they did not want to offend Christian in the US and Canada which make up a majority of religious folk in both countries. To be fair there does not seem have been any attempt to make any god of a major religion a System Lord, Judaism, Islam, and Buddhism all have nothing saying "an alien did it".

However even if there was some Go'uld saying "I'm God god, don't make me turn you salty bro" its possible for someone to still believe. That would be not "God" but some false god, someone who took the name of whatever god they are impersonating to rule people but is not. The fact they are imitating a god doesn't mean that god doesn't exist. Someone can still believe in the Ra the sun god despite Ra the alien being turned into a mini-sun with a nuke, not the same guy.

On the aliens in the Bible, what do you think the snake in the garden of Eden was? Nah but really the explanation for the lack of aliens is the rebellion against Ra took place in 3000 BC, well before Roman Edgypt (which I assume that is what you are refering to with Christianity ending the Egyptian religion) and Jesus. If there were any mention of aliens in the Christian Bible it would be so diluted and hidden with metaphor and myth that there could be aliens even in our real world Bible and we'd never know. There is certainly not going to be any passages "And the Lord said evil alien exist out there in the stars with nifty spaceships and rayguns, plus nudity when its on Showtime because they are cool with bewbs".

Also presumably there is no physical evidence because there is not alot of evidence left behind by the Go'uld. They tend to have a pretty good handle of keeping advanced tech out of the hands of their slaves (for obvious reasons), with what tech left behind on Earth after Ra was politely asked to leave was either buried like the Stargate or destroyed. Any little bits of technology left behind is either well hidden like the Ancient healing device or already taken like how the Stargate was. There was evidence of ancient aliens in the Stargate universe already, just it happened to be sitting in some government warehouse for decades. Any other information out there in legends and myth is clearly just treated as bull, look at Daniel Jackson who was considered a loon. Presumably anybody pushing the ancient aliens myth is treated the same way. Too bad Daniel was pushing that stuff in the 90s, a decade later he could have had his own History Channel show.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

FlynnTaggart wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:26 amLooking up the episode, it doesn't seem like it was confirmed Gawd is a Go'uld, there was a Unas possessing symbiote (apparently sent by Sokar probably playing into the Christian mythology of the villagers) that later takes the religious leader of the people Canon as host but thats about it. Any information I can find does not show any confirmation in any other episode as to whether Yahweh was a snake dude. Presumably they did not want to offend Christian in the US and Canada which make up a majority of religious folk in both countries. To be fair there does not seem have been any attempt to make any god of a major religion a System Lord, Judaism, Islam, and Buddhism all have nothing saying "an alien did it".
Um... Buddhism is pretty much the Ancient's way to ascension and while there was never a Jaweh/God/Allah-named Goa'uld, it doesn't take much to assume there was, based on evidence. We have Sokar, who is pretty much a stand-in for Shaitan/The Devil and Baal, who is mentioned by name in the scriptures of those three religions, plus it doesn't take much to assume that "the snake" in Eden is a Goa'uld for obvious reasons and quite possibly even was a Tok'Ra, because "eating the apple/fig" essentially freed humanity from God's will, who isn't at all a benevolent deity, but a quite jelous, wrathful, overbearing and controlling personality, which does totally not all remind noone of a Goa'uld at all whatsoever nowhere never ever.

Judaism/Christianity/Islam are quite clearly of the same make as all the other religions in the SG-universe, except that they do not get name-dropped, due to absurd socio-political reasons.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

I like the episode. Yes, it has all this problematic moments and yet, I still wold not agree with Chuck on this one, that it would be something, that is barely recommended. Maybe it comes to personal taste, maybe to the fact, that I somehow always manage to see and acknowledge the ugly stuff of my sources of entertainment and still like them nonetheless.
CrypticMirror wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:17 pm Ah, the cringeworthy 80s feminist episode, which shows and movies inexplicably kept on making right into the (checks newsfeed) at least April 2020... God, please make it stop. And I say that as a woman too.
As one of the "white angry men" I say - no. Don't make it stop. Give us those shows, until people around the world noticed, that women can do the same things men can do - and maybe even a bit better.
Last edited by CaptainCalvinCat on Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlynnTaggart
Officer

Post by FlynnTaggart »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:03 pm Um... Buddhism is pretty much the Ancient's way to ascension and while there was never a Jaweh/God/Allah-named Goa'uld, it doesn't take much to assume there was, based on evidence. We have Sokar, who is pretty much a stand-in for Shaitan/The Devil and Baal, who is mentioned by name in the scriptures of those three religions, plus it doesn't take much to assume that "the snake" in Eden is a Goa'uld for obvious reasons and quite possibly even was a Tok'Ra, because "eating the apple/fig" essentially freed humanity from God's will, who isn't at all a benevolent deity, but a quite jelous, wrathful, overbearing and controlling personality, which does totally not all remind noone of a Goa'uld at all whatsoever nowhere never ever.

Judaism/Christianity/Islam are quite clearly of the same make as all the other religions in the SG-universe, except that they do not get name-dropped, due to absurd socio-political reasons.
I'm sure its got some parallels but I'm also fairly sure its not supposed to be the same thing, Buddha isn't sitting around in some cosmic coffee shop sipping cosmic coffee being all aloof and mysterious.

Also I never said there wasn't references to Christianity, just that they don't say that God is a Go'uld. Its possible that somewhere in the universe there is a Yahweh on some Ha'tak with his first prime Jesus but they never explicitly mention anything about it on the show beyond Teal'c claiming no Go'uld possessed the "necessary compassion" to impersonate the Christian god (Teal'c must have just skimmed it, too busy watching Star Wars I guess). The reasoning I don't think is really absurd, angering a majority of your audience is usually not the best idea to make your show successful (insert Stargate Universe, STD, or Rian Johnson joke here), people would probably be offended if the show said "your god is an evil alien" even if technically they aren't.

Plus it wouldn't make a ton of sense for an Islam, Buddhist or Christian System Lord just because those religions developed well after Ra left Earth (though doesn't explain how there was a world of Catholics or Sokar, wonder if there is a Mormon Go'uld, golden tablets seem right up their alley).
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

I can never recall if it's conclusively established it one way or another over 17 seasons of Stargate, but my take is that the goa'uld we meet are impersonators rather than the originators of Egyptian mythology.
The owls are not what they seem.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:16 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:17 pm Ah, the cringeworthy 80s feminist episode, which shows and movies inexplicably kept on making right into the (checks newsfeed) at least April 2020... God, please make it stop. And I say that as a woman too.
As one of the "white angry men" I say - no. Don't make it stop. Give us those shows, until people around the world noticed, that women can do the same things men can do - and maybe even a bit better.
You just heard from an actual woman that this shit has gone too far. Maybe you should listen to her?
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

clearspira wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:42 pm
CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:16 pm
You just heard from an actual woman that this shit has gone too far. Maybe you should listen to her?
That is an excellent question:
Should we listen to women, who say, that this "shit" has gone too far?
Well - question is: Why does she say that?
I read on different "conservative" forums, that the "Frauenquote" (female quota) would be a sweet, little gift.
Now - is it a "sweet, little gift" or was the female author of those lines, one of those women, who either were just repeating the "male view" or a profiteer of the situation at hand?

Same here. Why does "Cryptic Mirror" hold the view, that this "shit" has gone too far?
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:16 pm I like the episode. Yes, it has all this problematic moments and yet, I still wold not agree with Chuck on this one, that it would be something, that is barely recommended. Maybe it comes to personal taste, maybe to the fact, that I somehow always manage to see and acknowledge the ugly stuff of my sources of entertainment and still like them nonetheless.
Showing TV where this happens will convince the parts of the world that think TV is real.