Stargate SG-1: Hathor

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Stargate SG-1: Hathor

Post by Yukaphile »

He reviewed! Here's my thoughts.

OMG Chuck quoted Quota! I LOVE IT! 8-)

"Game the whole family can play." :lol:

"Bat from that side of the plate." Which is ironic considering how gay relationships were encouraged in some ancient cultures, lol.

Gotta agree with Chuck's views here. Hell, the "one gender dominates another gender with mind control" idea was something I seriously disliked in the JLU episode with that crazy bitch who wanted to wipe out humanity. Now, that could be an interesting plot line, but the problem is they never cite what specifically men would theoretically be guilty of, ie being pigs or having the highest body counts in any sense of the world throughout history over women, and that without men, women die off too, thus... no, it feels limp-wristed and weak. A genocidal woman wanting to murder all men could work. But the way the JLU handled it offended me. As to this, well...

... OMG POOR DANIEL JACKSON. The shit this man goes through... about to be raped by a Goa'uld? Jesus... and the poor host too! This is messed up. What a minute, I only vaguely know about what happens in Season 2 with Sha're, but did Daniel ever bring this up in that story? I mean, all I know is Teal'c told him to stop feeling sorry for himself (REALLY!) and that Sha're was understandably hurt, but that an ancient culture acted quite unrealistically in regards with what to do with the baby, imo. That's all. But I'm at least happy it was treated better than what DS9 did with Sisko. He still trusts the Prophets and listens to them after it's revealed they made his father a rapist-victim and his mother the victim of unwanted pregnancy. Anyway, back to my larger point, first Daniel is about to be assaulted under mind control by a Goa'uld, then learns that Apophis did that to his wife. Wow... just, wow. What is it with Stargate and these kind of themes? You could explore ideas related to sexuality and gender identity here, sure, and what it means following the most personal kind of attack possible, that men can be victims too, but just from my limited view, I don't see that. It's... really kind of insulting. Almost vaguely... fanservice? Am... am I reading this right? I hope I'm not...

Guess Carter didn't adhere to that old adage of action movies. "Shoot... the hostage..."

Oh dear God... poor O'Neill... seriously, the whole way you have a "pouch" in your stomach with the lines of the incisions, and just the way it looks, is fucking disgusting. The Goa'uld are sickening.

Ambush Dominoes is the perfect name for something this goofy. :D

Not gonna lie, when I first saw the tail end of this scene, I also questioned how she teleported to the Stargate. I guess she has Instant Transmission.

I'd rate this episode a 4 based on the review. I was inclined to give it a chance until halfway through, and then... it just lost me. I think I'll still watch it, though. I'm a completionist. But I am NOT looking forward to it. At ALL. :cry:
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Stargate SG-1: Hathor

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:44 am He reviewed! Here's my thoughts.

OMG Chuck quoted Quota! I LOVE IT! 8-)

"Game the whole family can play." :lol:

"Bat from that side of the plate." Which is ironic considering how gay relationships were encouraged in some ancient cultures, lol.

Gotta agree with Chuck's views here. Hell, the "one gender dominates another gender with mind control" idea was something I seriously disliked in the JLU episode with that crazy bitch who wanted to wipe out humanity. Now, that could be an interesting plot line, but the problem is they never cite what specifically men would theoretically be guilty of, ie being pigs or having the highest body counts in any sense of the world throughout history over women, and that without men, women die off too, thus... no, it feels limp-wristed and weak. A genocidal woman wanting to murder all men could work. But the way the JLU handled it offended me. As to this, well...

... OMG POOR DANIEL JACKSON. The shit this man goes through... about to be raped by a Goa'uld? Jesus... and the poor host too! This is messed up. What a minute, I only vaguely know about what happens in Season 2 with Sha're, but did Daniel ever bring this up in that story? I mean, all I know is Teal'c told him to stop feeling sorry for himself (REALLY!) and that Sha're was understandably hurt, but that an ancient culture acted quite unrealistically in regards with what to do with the baby, imo. That's all. But I'm at least happy it was treated better than what DS9 did with Sisko. He still trusts the Prophets and listens to them after it's revealed they made his father a rapist-victim and his mother the victim of unwanted pregnancy. Anyway, back to my larger point, first Daniel is about to be assaulted under mind control by a Goa'uld, then learns that Apophis did that to his wife. Wow... just, wow. What is it with Stargate and these kind of themes? You could explore ideas related to sexuality and gender identity here, sure, and what it means following the most personal kind of attack possible, that men can be victims too, but just from my limited view, I don't see that. It's... really kind of insulting. Almost vaguely... fanservice? Am... am I reading this right? I hope I'm not...

Guess Carter didn't adhere to that old adage of action movies. "Shoot... the hostage..."

Oh dear God... poor O'Neill... seriously, the whole way you have a "pouch" in your stomach with the lines of the incisions, and just the way it looks, is fucking disgusting. The Goa'uld are sickening.

Ambush Dominoes is the perfect name for something this goofy. :D

Not gonna lie, when I first saw the tail end of this scene, I also questioned how she teleported to the Stargate. I guess she has Instant Transmission.

I'd rate this episode a 4 based on the review. I was inclined to give it a chance until halfway through, and then... it just lost me. I think I'll still watch it, though. I'm a completionist. But I am NOT looking forward to it. At ALL. :cry:
Well... gay sex was encouraged as long as you were doing the penetrating. To be the penetrated meant that you were taking up the woman's role which was deeply shameful. At least in Greece anyway.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Regarding how she escapes the flaming tub, it's probably another example of early installment weirdness. Maybe she was meant to have a teleport or actual magic or something.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

clearspira wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:58 am Regarding how she escapes the flaming tub, it's probably another example of early installment weirdness. Maybe she was meant to have a teleport or actual magic or something.
Was just about to write about that. When I started the review, I remembered that she's going to be around (much) later again, same actress even, but immediatly also remembered that she was shot in the hot-tub and burst into flames and was like... what? I never realized that, because I completely subconciously pushed away the existence of this episode for all the stupid contained within.

I have the working theory, that those were two different endings as the script was not finalized and they somehow forgot to create a scene where she's scared away from her few guards and larvae, leaving the bath-tub death-scene as the only scene getting from A to B that remotely has any explanation to that extend and it just got spliced in anyway, because they could not re-shot.

And this episode reminds me about the stupidity regarding the pouch. In normal human beings, the area where the pouch is located is kinda occupied by a lot of muscle tissue that allows us to move our upper body and extremeties at all, so having a huge hole where the "six pack" is located, is kinda counter-productive, if you still want to use the "pouch-bearers" in any sort of capacity that involves locomotion. You can get away by explaining that Jaffa have a different anatomy, as they were purpose-bred and genetically tampered with, but O'Neill? Yeah, say goodbye to standing up, unless you are alright with your upper body just kinda literally hanging around.

Same for the lack of an immune system. For Jaffa, well, it's bred in as a method of control, but why should O'Neill loose his immune system? And the sarcophagus heals this problem? Remarkably ineffective method of control then, isn't it?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

I didn't remember that bathtub teleportation that she did and now that I was reminded from it when I watched thus review I must admit that it was silly. Also I got good chuckle out of Ambush Dominoes because it does really fit something as goofy as that scene.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

There's no transportation. You can see her get up out of the tub and leave the room, and to me it even looks like there's a subtle effect showing her shield was operating. It's at the very end of this clip- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQT6tVkzld8

And yeah, this episode is just horrible. As Chuck points out, it buys into a bunch of stereotypes and it really fails to make anyone look good. It's just a silly and poorly told story, goofy even by bad season 1 standards.

What makes it slightly more disappointing is that there's a couple good ideas there that are wasted. The idea of accidentally awakening a Goa'uld on Earth is cool, but it accomplishes nothing more than getting Hathor to the base. Hathor herself is an important figure in Egyptian mythology, and it sucks that they waste her with this dud. They dispatch her really quickly in her next appearance as well, although by that point the damage to her potential was already done.
The owls are not what they seem.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:20 pm There's no transportation. You can see her get up out of the tub and leave the room, and to me it even looks like there's a subtle effect showing her shield was operating. It's at the very end of this clip- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQT6tVkzld8
Huh. I do not remember that detail at all. Granted, it's a bit hard to notice due to grain (always watched it only on analogue TV, which was basically 480p at the time, so... yeah), but something strikes me as very odd there, I mean beyond the water and larvae catching fire for no apparent reason. Jackson is absolutely aghast at the prospect that Hathor just got swiss cheesed and burst into flames and yet, he somehow does not react to Hathor leaving the bath-tub right in front of his eyes, vanishing through a door in clear line of view to him, like... at all? This reeks of an added special effect in a post-original-release edition.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Ah, the cringeworthy 80s feminist episode, which shows and movies inexplicably kept on making right into the (checks newsfeed) at least April 2020... God, please make it stop. And I say that as a woman too.

I also say that as someone who likes "goofy" cheesy episodes. What do I know, I prefer planet/monster of the week episodes rather than any form of serialisation too. When you finish the episode, or movie for movie franchises, you should be leaving your universe as you found it.

But bearing all that in mind, "Hathor" sucks. It goes in the same bin as VOY's "Threshold" and DSC's "Existence".
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

CrypticMirror wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:17 pm Ah, the cringeworthy 80s feminist episode, which shows and movies inexplicably kept on making right into the (checks newsfeed) at least April 2020... God, please make it stop. And I say that as a woman too.
Must... Pander... To... %Demographic%... Instead... Of... Telling... Compelling... Story... Or... Character... The industry is so stuck in this endless repetition of tried and failed concepts. One sometimes wonders, if parts of our reality are stored on a broken record. Also, I somehow have the urge to play Mass Effect 2 again... The squareroot of 912.04 is...
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

There was Frasier's line from SG-1's "Heroes" (part 1), "Oh, that's the whole Hathor incident which he's asked me never to discuss."

It's not "Spock's Brain", but I'd give it a 2. The high point of the episode might have been O'Neill's line about sex, drugs, and rock & roll.