DIS - Through the Valley of the Shadow

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
AllanO
Officer

Re: DIS - Through the Valley of the Shadow

Post by AllanO »

Percysowner wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:24 pm I think a huge part of the issue of Pike in TOS is that no one was able to foresee how far technology would come to help mitigate disability restrictions. In our own lifetime Steven Hawking was able to communicate even as his body failed him. He communicated using face movement. It is hard to believe that 300 years from now, technology wouldn't have found work arounds for Pike's limitations, if they didn't have a way to heal his injuries.
It is not so much hard to imagine as impossible. If Pike can flash one flash or two a binary message, then he can build up any message from that binary given enough time (the crudest way is to consider a game of 20 questions, you can often get a lot of information out of 20 yes or no questions). This is the magic of the binary system at the heart of the way computers store information etc. You can have interfaces like menus that options auto scroll through and when you get to the option you want then you select that one (Pike can do that since he can say yes to a question), I think that is the way Hawkings screen work. A simple example is have a menu showing the 26 letters of the alphabet plus some punctuation and control characters, the user can now select each letter and so type out any word in the English language, add some predictive text etc. and it gets more efficient. Although Hawking would take some time to compose his speech and so was not composing stuff on the fly at like 100 words a minute or anything.

I think a reasonable inference is that Pike in the chair is either in a very weakened state or racked by pain such that answering yes or no questions is more the limit of what he can do given the amount of energy he has to spare for anything rather than some limit of the tech interface the federation can come up with. I mean even so he should be able to do more than depicted in the show, but this would mitigate the gap a little (and yes it basically comes down to a failure of imagination on the part of the writers at the time). The Talosians can presumably either anesthetize his pain with their mind powers or amplify is vitality to allow him something like a normal level of attention.
CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:46 am I dunno, even in the episode, Pike DOES end up living an entirely helpful life with the Talosians.

It's just that the Federation's technology is not sufficient at that time.
I mean I think the Menagerie has some problems in that I'm pretty sure they leave in the Cage dialogue where the characters say death would be preferable to the world of illusions offered by the Talosians (although I guess you could say it was the forced part of it that was offensive to human dignity). Wait but Pike is disabled, well yeah then that face worse than death would be better than what he is currently living through.

Although I think this is even more the case for Vina. As far as we can tell by the depiction in the Cage/the Menagerie her problems are mostly cosmetic (she seems like she probably has something of a limp and so on also). However in the Cage story and the Menagerie epilog this sense I get can be (somewhat unfairly) characterized as "Yeah you are ugo fantasyland is probably the best you can hope for." We might charitably interpret that Vina is not just ugly and a bit creaky in her movements but actually has more wrong with her including possible chronic pain etc. that the Talosians are mitigating but that mere Federation science can do nothing for (really did not seem that way to me).

I never got the sense that Pike was doing much useful stuff on Talos just that he was able to play around in a pleasant fantasyland with near normal mobility etc. (in that fantasy land). Although I guess Discovery reinterprets the Talosians as no longer just a sterile society trapped stagnant in its fantasies but as also one who uses their amazing mind powers to heal the occasional random psychiatric case that appears and do other stuff for the wider universe. So maybe Pike is getting something useful done between romps through fantasyland with Vina?
Freeverse wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:37 pm Also fuck me do I have a lot to say about this, it turns out. I should maybe have found an outlet for this discussion a bit sooner in my life, but hopefully I've cobbled my thoughts and feelings together in a way that reads alright to other people.
I appreciated it.

Just picking up on what you said and some earlier discussion.

It seems to me that Star Trek has been about imaging a better future (as opposed say to the worse future of say a post apocalyptic nightmare scenario).

Some of this tension boils down to the old George Bernard Shaw quote "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." When we imagine a better future on any issue how much is imaging away present problems and how much is imagining us adapting to those problems in ways we so far have stubbornly refused to, I think it is usually a mix of both.

So in the future the Earth will not have war, different nations (or what were different nations), cultures and people will get along without fighting. Part of that will be about the technology of war itself (phasers, shields, medical technology etc.) change how wars could be fought, some of that will be about the sort of predisposing technological background (no one has to fight for resources because technology has provided abundance for all etc.) and finally because attitudes changed (acceptance of different people and cultures etc.). All three combined occurred together in Star Trek and the future being bettered wrt war depended on achieving all of them.

So likewise with disability if we want to imagine a better future along the same lines it is going to combine things like the fundamental medical technology around disability (treatments and so on that prevent or heavily mitigate the onset of a disability or allow the transformation of bodies etc.), the develops of technology that make creating infrastructure of accommodation (things that allow disabled people to do more stuff) and attitude towards disability.

As Freeverse suggests it is easy to see how poor attitude can make things worse and indeed bothering to accommodate or treat disabled people requires thinking they are worthwhile in some sense. As mentioned accepting disability can often be a pathway to better adapting to limitations and so allowing people to do more.

My sense of disabled activists is that many of those who are concerned about abelist attitudes (who often are people with disabilities in my experience) are usually at least if not more concerned about the provision of proper accommodation and also things like responsive medical care to disabled people. Those other two things are about the disabled people being able to do more not about them accepting doing less.

So to reconstruct an argument I heard a long time ago by one disabled guy who worked in a lab and was born without legs, his labs safety regs required him to have prosthetic legs on site, but he actually found his wheelchair safer and offered better mobility than the prosthetic legs. So he concluded the regs were designed not to actually give him more ability/safety but to conform to the expectations that the thing that more resembled what abled people did. So there are complicated interactions.

I think accusations of abelism and demands that we accept disability can and sometimes do shade into arguments for settling with a bad situation in some cases (usually just the opposite). However equally demands for a cures and the transformative elimination of disability shade into the arguments that disabled people are less useful or valuable etc. and not bothering to do what we can now to make life better for them.
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

"It is with philosophy as with religion : men marvel at the absurdity of other people's tenets, while exactly parallel absurdities remain in their own." John Stuart Mill
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

My take on THE CAGE is that the Talosians are not actually that bad. Pike is ready to die and kill his companions in order to prevent himself from being held captive. However, Pike's actions are revealed to be disproportionately violent and scare the hell out of the Talosians into backing away. They're in a desperate situation and handled it horribly. Pike is also actually in love with Vima and wants to be with her.

He's not a prisoner this time around as he probably would have gone along with their plan if they'd just ASKED.

And yes, presumably he's breeding a new race of Talosian-human hybrids while in his imaginary Matrix condition.
DoctorWTF
Redshirt

Post by DoctorWTF »

Freeverse wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:37 pm But there's a reason people get riled up over statements about the viability of living with a disability. There was a very real attitude in the time of the original series that suggested "your life is over" i you were affected by certain disabilities. I can intellectualize the idea that in Pike's case there was some kind of space magic reason that he was trapped in a miserable state, barely able to go on living, but the fact of the matter is that the entire point of his disability in that episode was to make the case that his life was over, and that's maybe not a great take on disability. It was also used for shock value, which I'm not all that impressed by. But, the idea that someone's life can be no longer worth living because of an accident that leaves them disabled has been used to dismiss and ignore people for a long time, and some people are rightly put off by suggestions of a similar nature.
The problem here is that regardless of society's attitudes, Pike's specific disability is so severe as to leave him with few options for doing more with his life than just existing. Giving someone like him the standard "Life goes on" spiel would be almost like saying "Money can't buy happiness" to someone scraping by on a minimum-wage job. Even by more enlightened standards, it'd be hard to fault someone for questioning whether that would be a life worth living (particularly if you also throw chronic pain into the mix). At the very least, taking offense to Pike's reaction to his future is political correctness gone completely off the rails - no less offensive than suggesting that life couldn't possibly be worth living in his condition.

Also, I'm rather surprised no one has yet mentioned Miriam, who is basically a brain in a robot body. It's take some heavy-duty handwaving and suspension of disbelief to claim that that wouldn't have been an option for Pike. For that matter, any society having that level of technology should be able to have a proper fix for just about any physical disability you care to name.

A few years ago, I remember seeing an article (don't remember where, unfortunately) complaining that the disabled community doesn't have a whole heck of a lot of representation in the realm of sci-fi. It seems them's the breaks when you're dealing with a world which one would expect to have a solution for whatever it is (if not an outright cure, then assistive technology just about equivalent to a cure).
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Speaking as a guy with disabilities, I don't mind seeing a guy with a wheelchair in the future. It's been repeatedly shown that the Federation can't always fix neurological damage, and that's one of the most common causes of needing a wheelchair.
Percysowner
Redshirt

Post by Percysowner »

AllanO wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:18 am
Although I think this is even more the case for Vina. As far as we can tell by the depiction in the Cage/the Menagerie her problems are mostly cosmetic (she seems like she probably has something of a limp and so on also). However in the Cage story and the Menagerie epilog this sense I get can be (somewhat unfairly) characterized as "Yeah you are ugo fantasyland is probably the best you can hope for." We might charitably interpret that Vina is not just ugly and a bit creaky in her movements but actually has more wrong with her including possible chronic pain etc. that the Talosians are mitigating but that mere Federation science can do nothing for (really did not seem that way to me).
Vina is a slightly different situation. The dialog does indicate that she doesn't want to leave because she is deformed, but also let's face it, from a psychological POV she has a ton of reasons to stay. We know humans need social interaction, in fact solitary confinement is now being viewed as torture. Vina was totally alone on a planet with no other humans. The Talosians are a different species and most of them are living in their dream worlds. Vina's fantasies were helping keep her sane as well as keeping the illusion of a perfect body. Plus she and we are told that the Talosian fantasies are addictive, so there is some question as to whether she would have thought she could live without them. Finally, she is around 50 and is out of date whatever technological changes have happened during her absence.

We now know that Gene Roddenberry wasn't really a hugely feminist writer an producer, so having a woman choose beauty over freedom fits his worldview, so he portrayed that as being her choice, as opposed to making it more complex. However there was more going on with her than "Yuck, cannot stand being ugly".
DoctorWTF
Redshirt

Post by DoctorWTF »

Worffan101 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:27 pm Speaking as a guy with disabilities, I don't mind seeing a guy with a wheelchair in the future. It's been repeatedly shown that the Federation can't always fix neurological damage, and that's one of the most common causes of needing a wheelchair.
I suppose it's also plausible that someone might choose to remain in a wheelchair (maybe not so much Pike's chair) rather then chuck out their body and become mostly robot. Especially in a society which does a way better job of taking care of the less fortunate than ours.
rickgriffin
Officer

Post by rickgriffin »

When it comes to ultra-future tech in sci-fi, it feels like there's an intractable push-and-pull on the sides of disability: EITHER the technology is good enough to fix any given issue that might be construed as a disability (and therefore leaves disability representation off the table because the setting has made it moot), OR disability is fully represented and as a consequence the setting's ultra-future technology is not allowed to give, return, or even expand upon a full range of ability to any characters who are disabled, which kinda crushes medical optimism.

I suppose you could have characters who WANT to remain disabled, but that doesn't work for representation because you've sorta shifted the subtext of the work given that in this situation it becomes a personal choice. Which is why I don't necessarily feel like it's completely a social construct like gender or sexuality, BECAUSE those constructs lean on choice, even if it's a biologically-prompted choice. A person who is disabled and chooses to remain disabled does throw their lot in with the "it's a choice" side of the social construct, but most do not, especially when they didn't grow up coming into this identity of their own will or self-discovery. Either way, if you say your future tech makes disability a matter of choice that is itself a whole can of worms and still leaves on the table representation for the sake of people who do not choose to tacitly accept disability.
DoctorWTF
Redshirt

Post by DoctorWTF »

rickgriffin wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:22 pm I suppose you could have characters who WANT to remain disabled, but that doesn't work for representation because you've sorta shifted the subtext of the work given that in this situation it becomes a personal choice. Which is why I don't necessarily feel like it's completely a social construct like gender or sexuality, BECAUSE those constructs lean on choice, even if it's a biologically-prompted choice. A person who is disabled and chooses to remain disabled does throw their lot in with the "it's a choice" side of the social construct, but most do not, especially when they didn't grow up coming into this identity of their own will or self-discovery. Either way, if you say your future tech makes disability a matter of choice that is itself a whole can of worms and still leaves on the table representation for the sake of people who do not choose to tacitly accept disability.
That actually raises an interesting philosophical question I've sometimes pondered. With stuff like race, gender, and sexuality, treating people right pretty much boils down to "don't be an asshole" - it basically costs people nothing to refrain from wanton bigotry. Whereas allowing people with disabilities to properly function in society often requires designing public spaces to be accessible to them, which takes time and money.

So the question then becomes: If people choose to live with disabilities which could otherwise be cured, would we owe them the same duty of accommodation as we do to people in real life today (who generally have no choice)? How far would we be obligated to go to prevent them from suffering as a result of the choice they made? Would the motivation behind them turning down the cure (say, if they hold some religious beliefs that would prohibit taking the cure) make any difference?
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

We already have something like that: many public schools require that your child be vaccinated against certain diseases (or have a medical condition that makes vaccination dangerous/impossible) before they can attend; parents who refuse to get their children vaccinated have to find other education venues.
AllanO
Officer

Post by AllanO »

rickgriffin wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:22 pm When it comes to ultra-future tech in sci-fi, it feels like there's an intractable push-and-pull on the sides of disability: EITHER the technology is good enough to fix any given issue that might be construed as a disability (and therefore leaves disability representation off the table because the setting has made it moot), OR disability is fully represented and as a consequence the setting's ultra-future technology is not allowed to give, return, or even expand upon a full range of ability to any characters who are disabled, which kinda crushes medical optimism.
Well I am not sure Star Trek is imagining ultra tech in that sense, there are still lots of things they can't do, diseases they can't cure and so on. The premise does not really seem to be all problems could be solved by technobabble.

Also there are things like accommodating the features of different aliens. Since most Star Trek aliens are just humans with something on their forehead or the like not really a problem, but if say you need a ship that both a horta (the silicon based alien from Devil in the Dark) and a human can use then you are going to need some rather heavy duty accommodation or abandon the idea of allowing different people to work together and make the galaxy a better place etc..

Or we can imagine the super tech would allow you to transform the humans to be just like horta so we don't have to build accommodation for them.

Which illustrates a point a certain level of ultra tech implies the ability to simply reshape human beings at will, so why can't they all fly or shoot lasers from their eyes etc. To me that suggests against the idea that the Star Trek future is supposed to be at the point where there technology is just magic that solves any problem so disability can remain an issue.
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

"It is with philosophy as with religion : men marvel at the absurdity of other people's tenets, while exactly parallel absurdities remain in their own." John Stuart Mill