Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by Deledrius »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:54 pm wile still reckless, I still maintain Janeway never intended for that Equinox crew member to be in any actual danger, she just overestimated her ability to chase the spirit off before it killed him.
She absolutely did, and there is no way to read that scene otherwise. It's entirely meant to demonstrate Janeway "crossing the line" and putting her in a space to mirror Ransom. It's why the scene at the end where Chakotay has forgiven her completely guts his character and their working relationship; they have to restore the status quo, yet they do so without any resolution except to state that it has been resolved. The show lets her off the hook completely. I know people for whom this episode was the final straw in watching Voyager.
Yukaphile wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:15 am @Deledrius The thing with Talia is that despite her conflicts, she was still loyal - at least until Season 2. Anything less is headcanon.
But not to Bester, and to Bester that's all that matters. As far as Bester is concerned, Bester is the Corps. and the Corps is Bester. Anything less is betrayal.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

Deledrius wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:26 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:54 pm wile still reckless, I still maintain Janeway never intended for that Equinox crew member to be in any actual danger, she just overestimated her ability to chase the spirit off before it killed him.
She absolutely did, and there is no way to read that scene otherwise. It's entirely meant to demonstrate Janeway "crossing the line" and putting her in a space to mirror Ransom. It's why the scene at the end where Chakotay has forgiven her completely guts his character and their working relationship; they have to restore the status quo, yet they do so without any resolution except to state that it has been resolved. The show lets her off the hook completely. I know people for whom this episode was the final straw in watching Voyager.
she said to Checotay in that seen that the guy would talk and she's close the fissure.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

Deledrius wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:37 pm Replace nucleogenic lifeforms with Vulcans.

The Equinox crew discovers that they can kill a Vulcan against its will to gain 1k LY toward home. So they murder seven unwilling Vulcans.

The utilitarian argument may be made (seven lives against forty seven). But this is clearly 100% outside of the moral and ethical guidelines demonstrated and espoused by the Federation and its members.
Directive random Number states a Captain may use any means necessary to rescue his crew.
Directive other random Number states a Captain MUST sacrifice his crew upon the altar of PD.

Which directive takes precedence? Ni ansa: PD decrees genocide. If you kill 10 Aliens to rescue 50 Humans it is a crime. If you kill a Million Aliens to recue 50 Humans it is a Virtue.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I disagree with Chuck in his Atlantis review with the "wiping away the EU/nerd rage" thing. Not that it isn't nerd rage, and in my case, it is. But alongside that would be what he'd expressed with the Bayformers movies, disappointment, and feeling as if you're missing the soul, that perhaps is a smidgen of fanboy entitlement. I know many who aren't screaming lunatics, they're just sad, and didn't check out the new movies for that reason. They aren't yelling or shoving their opinions down other people's throats. They just feel let down. Of course, those same people are optimistic about a multiverse, so make of that what you will.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I also disagree when he says in his look at Lucas that they hyped the prequels beyond all reason. It could just be Star Wars fans are very unsatisfied and just want the same story told all over again. That was proven with how well Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens did. No, and I'll prove my point. THE DARK KNIGHT. The single greatest movie I can recall in the last decade, and I remember the viral marketing that was going on with that film, and it was insane. No, if the prequels were better written, and not shallow Star Wars, then I think most people would have accepted them.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:37 am I disagree with Chuck in his Atlantis review with the "wiping away the EU/nerd rage" thing. Not that it isn't nerd rage, and in my case, it is. But alongside that would be what he'd expressed with the Bayformers movies, disappointment, and feeling as if you're missing the soul, that perhaps is a smidgen of fanboy entitlement. I know many who aren't screaming lunatics, they're just sad, and didn't check out the new movies for that reason. They aren't yelling or shoving their opinions down other people's throats. They just feel let down. Of course, those same people are optimistic about a multiverse, so make of that what you will.
Which review, at what mintute mark?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I can't recall anymore, I wrote that days ago.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

anI also disagree with Chuck on Winn Adomi from DS9. she doesn't want power for it's own sake but because she thinks her being kai is good for Bajor. sure, her mindset is "what's good for me is good for Bajor" but it's not just about her own personal gain. and he claims she is one dimensional but he describes her with complexity in "The Reckoning". her trying to kill Baril was a sign of her being a well-intentioned extremist, not a psychopath.

and I now almost completely agree with Chuck about "Tatto" but in the back of my head, I still remember that there are some stories I've heard related to the Ancient Astronaut theory and other paranormal theories that do say that Native Americans or Myans had their culture formed by aliens or Atlantians or whatever.

and that reminds me, in his Atlantis: The Lost Empire review, he implied that someone actually believing in Atlantis makes them stupid when wile nothing has been conformed for certain, there are lots of arciologiclal sites that could very well be the real Atlantis.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:45 pm

and that reminds me, in his Atlantis: The Lost Empire review, he implied that someone actually believing in Atlantis makes them stupid when wile nothing has been conformed for certain, there are lots of arciologiclal sites that could very well be the real Atlantis.
Smart people can have big knowledge / rationallity blind spots.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Slash Gallagher wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:27 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:45 pm

Smart people can have big knowledge / rationallity blind spots.
but like I said, there are several places that could have been Atlantis because they weren't just sunken cities but also went to war with Athens, worshiped Poseidon, etc. and I mean all three of those things at once.