Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
TrueMetis
Officer

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by TrueMetis »

There can be an Atlantis in the same way there can be a Hogwarts. It was made up for the purpose of a story. Even if you find a city that sunk, went to war with Athens, and worshiped Poseiden it wouldn't be Atlantis. Because Plato made it up. Finding places that match similar criteria at best shows Plato took inspiration from a real place, it doesn't make the place he wrote about real. Brittannia from Code Geass isn't real because it's based on British and American imperialism.
Strejdaking
Redshirt

Post by Strejdaking »

His defense of Superman’s potrayal in JLU. I don’t think Superman is or should be perfect, but the guy in JLU is just a stupid, unstable asshole, who constantly let’s himself be easily manipulated. The Cadmus story arc is great, but it absolutely throws his character under the bus to work. I don’t think this is case of „oh, he’s losing himself, but it’s still him“, he’s constantly like that and with little provocation.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

TrueMetis wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:03 am There can be an Atlantis in the same way there can be a Hogwarts. It was made up for the purpose of a story. Even if you find a city that sunk, went to war with Athens, and worshiped Poseiden it wouldn't be Atlantis. Because Plato made it up. Finding places that match similar criteria at best shows Plato took inspiration from a real place, it doesn't make the place he wrote about real. Brittannia from Code Geass isn't real because it's based on British and American imperialism.
some place †hat gave Plato inspiration is close enough to a real Atlantis.
PapaPalpatine
Officer

Post by PapaPalpatine »

As dear to my heart as Homura is, I've got to disagree with Chuck regarding her turn to the darkside in Rebellion. While it is true that love is an emotion that can be both selfless and selfish, she was leaning more to the selfish side than he realized.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Strejdaking wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:54 am His defense of Superman’s potrayal in JLU. I don’t think Superman is or should be perfect, but the guy in JLU is just a stupid, unstable asshole, who constantly let’s himself be easily manipulated. The Cadmus story arc is great, but it absolutely throws his character under the bus to work. I don’t think this is case of „oh, he’s losing himself, but it’s still him“, he’s constantly like that and with little provocation.
You're talking about Clash?
..What mirror universe?
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

PapaPalpatine wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:46 am As dear to my heart as Homura is, I've got to disagree with Chuck regarding her turn to the darkside in Rebellion. While it is true that love is an emotion that can be both selfless and selfish, she was leaning more to the selfish side than he realized.
I would even go so far and say that she had pretty much become obsessed over Madoka. After all she did keep turning back time for Madoka so many times that it effected Madoka's karma. Way I have understood it (but I could be wrong) all those times Homura only thought about saving Madoka instead of saving world.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:37 pm
TrueMetis wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:03 am There can be an Atlantis in the same way there can be a Hogwarts. It was made up for the purpose of a story. Even if you find a city that sunk, went to war with Athens, and worshiped Poseiden it wouldn't be Atlantis. Because Plato made it up. Finding places that match similar criteria at best shows Plato took inspiration from a real place, it doesn't make the place he wrote about real. Brittannia from Code Geass isn't real because it's based on British and American imperialism.
I feel it was the legend tales of the Minoans is what Atlantis was based on. So I don't believe Atlantis is a lost continent or even in the Atlantic, but a real island (Crete) with real people who had a flourishing civilization that collapsed more than a thousand years before Plato was ever around to think about it. There is probably no way to square this circle, but I feel this is the best theory.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Robovski wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:47 am
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:37 pm
I feel it was the legend tales of the Minoans is what Atlantis was based on. So I don't believe Atlantis is a lost continent or even in the Atlantic, but a real island (Crete) with real people who had a flourishing civilization that collapsed more than a thousand years before Plato was ever around to think about it. There is probably no way to square this circle, but I feel this is the best theory.
I'm honestly inclined to go with that Atlantis is wholy fictional, taking inspiration from prior myths like Gilgamesh and Noah (flood myths are very popular around the world). Any historical precedent is garbled beyond recognition if it exists.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

TGLS wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:43 pmI'm honestly inclined to go with that Atlantis is wholy fictional, taking inspiration from prior myths like Gilgamesh and Noah (flood myths are very popular around the world). Any historical precedent is garbled beyond recognition if it exists.
The further back we go in human history and the more refined our methods of study become, the more one thing becomes clear: The idea that human civilizations were ever really strongly divided by their locale is simply not true.
There's evidence of early neolithic societies in modern day France, that had access to and used pottery made in Mesopotamia, for example. If wares of any kind can travel even in a time where most people hadn't even started to settle down yet, then so do stories. Catastrophic flodding events are a constant in every part of the world, be that that the land between Tigris and Euphrates, the Nile, the Yellow River or even islands, like Santorini and Crete or even entire landscapes, like the Black Sea and Doggerland, then there's little reason to not believe, that stories shared as such, became a mighty singular flood in the human perception at some point over time. There's not one Atlantis. There are thousands.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

There's also the "Sea Peoples" who attacked ancient Egypt at one point.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR