Upcoming Films

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Re: Upcoming Films

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

Really good trailer.

I'm still not sure how far they're going to go with Rey flirting with the Dark side. Her being tempted and the possibility of her fall is certainly something they're trying to imply, but at this point I don't see what could possibly motivate her to do that. And trying to give her a plausible motivation in the course of one movie seems dubious.

I wonder if something was changed in regard to Leia because of Carrie Fisher's death? I'm hoping Luke makes it through the movie in one piece. Killing off all the old guard off at this point would be pretty harsh and probably not a good move to make for the fans.
The owls are not what they seem.
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

I'm hoping they go the whole hog, have some interesting character drama and real stakes hinging on a few personal choices. That has me much more excited for the new movie. Also Kylo's new fighter looks pretty badass. looks like a combination of the TIE Avenger and a Fury class interceptor.

What really concerns me is the cute, marketable plush toy for Christmas they have sitting next to Chewie on the Falcon.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Fixer wrote:I'm hoping they go the whole hog, have some interesting character drama and real stakes hinging on a few personal choices. That has me much more excited for the new movie. Also Kylo's new fighter looks pretty badass. looks like a combination of the TIE Avenger and a Fury class interceptor.

What really concerns me is the cute, marketable plush toy for Christmas they have sitting next to Chewie on the Falcon.
That ship reminded me more of a Vulture droid in flight config. Anyways, the end of the trailer is likely a switch and bait. Ren and Snoke will try to pull her to their side as the main theme of this movie, with Luke being a reluctant and not particularly helpful mentor who probably pushes her away after she shows too much power, leading to a fall-out of sorts, that leads to the scene in the end of the trailer. She'll immediatly decide against going with Ren though. Also, Ren will kill his mother.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

Madner Kami wrote:Also, Ren will kill his mother.
I'm seriously wondering if it's a fake-out - the trailer screamed so loudly "He will pull the trigger and blow up Leia!!!1!" that really, if he does it, it'll be as underwhelming as it could possibly be (I mean, still a kick in the gut, but...) I don't want to sound all conspiracy-theorist, but I recall there being a report that Carrie Fisher's relatives had agreed for Disney to use her image in Ep9 followed by Disney saying "But we're not going to" - I know VII isn't JJ's film but he's hanging around the lot, and I'm wondering if either he or someone at Disney are taking a page out of his Into Darkness playbook and trying the straight-up lie in the pre-film marketing so the 'reveal' in the film itself will come as a surprise.

It could be what it looks like - or maybe it's a fake-out fake-out, he takes the shot but surprise! misses, but then bails out and comes after her on foot and kills her face to face - but I dunno, it just seems like there's no way for her death to have the impact it should. Maybe they're thinking screw it, everyone knows we have to write her out, so why not show it and tug at heartstrings in advance - even so I feel like if they'd just kept it off the trailers, the moment would have more impact in the cinema. Perhaps they're thinking the non-fandom audience won't have connected the dots to know Leia's not going to be around much longer, so the trailer is a shock in that regard; you'd think Carrie Fisher was mainstream news enough that that wouldn't be the case, but who knows what lurks in the minds of studio execs. Virtually promising to put a proton torpedo up her then swerving at the last minute to keep her around via CGI cameos in IX seems a bit of a cynical play, but I don't know that that'd feel worse to me than them just going 'Hey guys, we're gonna blow up Leia, come check it out!' and doing it. At least we'd still have Leia at the end of it, and that wouldn't feel bad to me. Maybe I'm projecting (been known to do that), but that part of the trailer just seemed like it was trying for a result I'm not sure I trust.

(Maybe it's just an argument for me not watching trailers - I mean what, was I going to not go see Star Wars? C'mon. I've managed to avoid the latest crop of Thor marketing for what that's worth.)
King of the owls
Officer

Post by King of the owls »

I think it is a fake out? I mean it is possible that Leia is going to die in this movie or the next one. But I feel her death will be a noble, one where she is metaphorically giving the middle finger to the first order and all they stand for. And her getting blown up by Edgy pants Mcgee is not noble. So eh we will see.

Now onto Rey. Is she going to dark side? I don't think so she might consider it, she might listen to find herself agreeing with some of Snoke's points but I don't think she will join Snoke. That said I also feel like she and Luke might end up having a falling out. He is clearly afraid of her power and she clearly wants Luke to be one with all the answers when in reality he's just a tired man who isn't sure of anything anymore. In the end Rey might decide to to forge her own path to becoming a Jedi and stopping Snoke.

Though honestly I just can't wait to see Finn wreck Captain Phasma.
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

As for Kylo Ren shooting his mother, I'm betting that if he does pull the trigger, Poe in his X-Wing will either take the hit, damaging Poe's ship...or he'll drive Kylo off before he can make the killing blow. This way it's made clear that Kylo (despite his angst) is willing to kill his entire family to reach his destiny, but you get to keep a heart broken Leia around for the rest of the Trilogy (At least I think that was the original intent).
Thalolli
Redshirt

Post by Thalolli »

I don't like how in the trailer it made you think that Luke is gonna screw up Rey's training too, after he already screwed up Kylo's training. Is Rey gonna be tortured in every film?

The trailer also made it look like Finn and Poe were such a non-entity, I wonder why they are even part of the franchise at all. They seemed kind of superfluous in the first movie too, but I assumed that they were there because they would play a more important role in the later movies.
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

I think they're partly addressing the Mary Sue criticism of TFA. Rey might be very powerful without any training but Luke sees the consequence of this being that it also makes her easily corruptible.
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote:I'm still not sure how far they're going to go with Rey flirting with the Dark side. Her being tempted and the possibility of her fall is certainly something they're trying to imply, but at this point I don't see what could possibly motivate her to do that.
Could be a Bastila Shan thing.
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

Thalolli wrote: The trailer also made it look like Finn and Poe were such a non-entity, I wonder why they are even part of the franchise at all. They seemed kind of superfluous in the first movie too, but I assumed that they were there because they would play a more important role in the later movies.
Finn and Poe have arcs dealing specifically with the Resistance and how it handles the FO. Finn dosen't just infiltrate the First Order, he goes on a mission to a new world called 'Canto Bright' which is basically Star Wars answer to Vegas. That mission leads into his infiltration of the First Order, and him fighting on Crait as he grows more confidant and capable. Poe looses his X-Wing and is mentored by Leia in leadership as a new character "Admiral Holdo" clashes with the General over how to Run this new resistance. So yes, the trailer didn't give away much...which is a good thing, since it dosen't overhype anyone, but clearly excites people enough to sell tickets. Once their in the theater the importance of the various characters will be made clear to the general audience.