Upcoming Films

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Redem
Officer

Re: Upcoming Films

Post by Redem »

Here what I am really hype about

youtu.be/-tsIOV1jS10
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

It looks really dumb but well crafted so far and quite fun. I always enjoy watching giant robot or Kaiju films when they're done well. :)
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

Might be giving away a little too much...but good stuff otherwise.

youtu.be/xjDjIWPwcPU
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Black Panther was almost the only thing I liked about Civil War, so I'm looking forward to that one.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Black Panther was almost the only thing I liked about Civil War, so I'm looking forward to that one.
Disney so scared that they will be called racist if they interfere a lot and Coogler speaks up about it that i think this is truly a movie made by the director and his brain trust.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

If Disney were that scared of being called racist (or sexist), they wouldn't have waited until the seventeenth MCU film to make one with a non-white male lead.

Oh, and I'm still waiting on that Black Widow film.

But I am somewhat optimistic about this film. Black Panther was one of the more interesting characters I've seen in the MCU in a while, from what little we've seen of him so far, and if it follows up at all on what's happening with Cap's crew (I understand Bucky will be in the film), that's good too.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

The Romulan Republic wrote:If Disney were that scared of being called racist (or sexist), they wouldn't have waited until the seventeenth MCU film to make one with a non-white male lead.

Oh, and I'm still waiting on that Black Widow film.

But I am somewhat optimistic about this film. Black Panther was one of the more interesting characters I've seen in the MCU in a while, from what little we've seen of him so far, and if it follows up at all on what's happening with Cap's crew (I understand Bucky will be in the film), that's good too.
Minus Iron Man their first movies had some brand recognition and were leading up to the Avengers team up. You do realize this is a company doing kamikaze stuff to be seen as woke.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

I'm... not sure what you mean.

And yeah, I've got no problem with them using better-known characters for set-up. But Avengers was ten films ago. They could have taken risks with who their leads were before this. They've dragged their feet.

In the films, at least. I give them full credit for being a bit more daring in the TV shows.

Edit: Say what you will about Marvel vs DC, it took DC only until their fourth film to acknowledge that you could have a lead who wasn't a straight white man.

Although in fairness to Marvel, I don't think they have any female or non-white characters who are as big a name as Wonder Woman. Still though.

Edit: Actually, three films. I completely forgot that the main characters for Suicide Squad were Harley and Deadshot (played by Will Smith).

Probably because I found Suicide Squad a thoroughly unlikeable film for unrelated reasons.

But that just makes Marvel come off even worse in the comparison.
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Edit: Actually, three films. I completely forgot that the main characters for Suicide Squad were Harley and Deadshot (played by Will Smith).

Probably because I found Suicide Squad a thoroughly unlikeable film for unrelated reasons.

But that just makes Marvel come off even worse in the comparison.
Suicide Squad is terrible, but I quite liked it personally, I got a lot of entertainment value out of it.

What did you not like about it? :P
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Well, in very brief, it felt crass, exploitative, and gratuitously grimdark.

Plus, I think Harley's a really hard character to do well. No slight intended to Margot Robbie, as her and Will Smith's performances were the highlight of the film to me (well, that and the Bat cameos). But Harley is essential a domestic abuse victim, and it always bothers me that writers can't seem to figure out weather to portray her as a tragic character, a monster, a romantic figure, or for laughs and/or fan service. And some of those just don't work, especially in combination.

To be honest, there were a number of points where I felt that the film was romanticizing domestic abuse, and/or portraying abusers in an overly-sympathetic light.

Also, knowing the character mainly from the DCAU, I was a bit shocked by how evil Amanda Waller was in this film. That's part of a larger problem I had with it, which was that there just weren't a lot of characters I could sympathize with much in this film.

As to the Joker... he was weird, and not in a Joker kind of way. More in a "the film makers were trying way too hard to be edgy" kind of way.