SG1: 2010

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Ghilz
Officer

SG1: 2010

Post by Ghilz »

https://sfdebris.com/videos/stargate/sg1s4e16.php

A tale set in the faraway future of 2010, oooooh.

The aliens are astoundingly boring. It's one of the show's weirder decision which this and the follow up episode even highlight. I'm not sure why they went for that. Also introduces us to Carter disposable love interest #54656431254

Decent episode overall though I prefer 2001, who has more interesting stakes, but also puts more effort in making Ambassador Token Carter Lover Interest into a more fleshed out character.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Re: SG1: 2010

Post by Captain Crimson »

I find it hilarious how this is the same year Doc Brown originally wanted to see. Coincidence? Maybe he really IS a Time Lord - he wanted to stop the Aschen! :mrgreen:

This episode reminds me of that old fable, To Serve Man. A fresh take an old idea. Oh, and there is no way Kinsey didn't know what the Aschen were doing. You'll never convince me otherwise.

But does anyone else wonder how the Aschen were able to beat Anubis? That's a bit of a high bar to aspire to for a one-off alien bad guy race.

And wow, that's like the first time I ever heard Mr. Chuck pronounce it as "Goah-oold." AKA, how it should be. :shock:
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

You know, I still haven't seen 2001, the episode, mostly because I knew they would succeed in not becoming tools of the Aschen since I had accidentally skipped a couple of episodes and saw that they didn't reappear like at all.

If it had been offered to me straight up, I'd probably take infertility with slowed down aging. I just don't see myself with kids.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

I liked 2001. For one thing, you get to be at ground zero to one of the Aschen's devolving campaigns firsthand, in a world that was biologically degraded in just two centuries to become an unknowing slave labor force. That's the genius of SG-1 where you get a unique sequel/prequel story all in one package.

Second is that in the changed timeline, Faxon actually gives his life for Carter. Whatever else you may wanna think of him, he died a hero, left struggling with Mollem as Carter dived into the Gate. Another tick on her belt, that all her lovers wind up in a brutal death. Faxon, Martouf/Lantash, and Narim. Well, aside from Pete Shanahan, but who cares for the Muggles? Haha, Carter's the Yoko of speculative fiction. :P

And the solution to the Aschen was brilliant - it is entirely possible they fell for SG-1's bait and dialed into P3W-451 and had their planet sucked into a black hole. Plus, messing over Senator Kinsey is its own reward. :)
Beelzquill wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:15 am If it had been offered to me straight up, I'd probably take infertility with slowed down aging. I just don't see myself with kids.
Same.
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

Beelzquill wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:15 am You know, I still haven't seen 2001, the episode, mostly because I knew they would succeed in not becoming tools of the Aschen since I had accidentally skipped a couple of episodes and saw that they didn't reappear like at all.

If it had been offered to me straight up, I'd probably take infertility with slowed down aging. I just don't see myself with kids.
Same here. It's the accompanying total human extinction thing that prolly makes for a deal breaker
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

All I remember of this episode is boredom. One I always skipped later in reruns.

I did like the continuity use of the black hole, but really that sort of thing is a WMD that should have been saved for a major threat. This is felt like sweet revenge, however awesome.

I can't help but feel it was used to later eliminate it as a potential get out jail free card for other threats down the line.
Beelzquill wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:15 am If it had been offered to me straight up, I'd probably take infertility with slowed down aging. I just don't see myself with kids.
Not me. I can say I'm not special enough to be the final link in a chain going back to the first life 4.5 billion years ago.

I may fail to procreate either from circumstance or own failures, but I wouldn't voluntarily allow it much less allow someone to comfortably sterilize me or anyone else.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Captain Crimson wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:46 am And wow, that's like the first time I ever heard Mr. Chuck pronounce it as "Goah-oold." AKA, how it should be. :shock:
And mispronounces Aschen the entire review.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I think the Aschen needed to be boring for the plot to work. A shooty-shooty-bang-bang race wouldn't have gone the slow route. I also like the solar flare idea for time travel as unlike in Star Trek with time warp where there is no reason why they cannot do that multiple times to correct every single problem they face; solar flares imply that this is a random thing that cannot be done on command.

I agree with Beelzquill, I would take anti-aging with infertility too. Good deal.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Sir Will wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:07 am
Captain Crimson wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:46 am And wow, that's like the first time I ever heard Mr. Chuck pronounce it as "Goah-oold." AKA, how it should be. :shock:
And mispronounces Aschen the entire review.
Yeah, this isn't even a potato-tomato thing either. The race is called ''Ash-chen'' not ''A-chen''.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Captain Crimson wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:30 am I liked 2001. For one thing, you get to be at ground zero to one of the Aschen's devolving campaigns firsthand, in a world that was biologically degraded in just two centuries to become an unknowing slave labor force. That's the genius of SG-1 where you get a unique sequel/prequel story all in one package.

Second is that in the changed timeline, Faxon actually gives his life for Carter. Whatever else you may wanna think of him, he died a hero, left struggling with Mollem as Carter dived into the Gate. Another tick on her belt, that all her lovers wind up in a brutal death. Faxon, Martouf/Lantash, and Narim. Well, aside from Pete Shanahan, but who cares for the Muggles? Haha, Carter's the Yoko of speculative fiction. :P

And the solution to the Aschen was brilliant - it is entirely possible they fell for SG-1's bait and dialed into P3W-451 and had their planet sucked into a black hole. Plus, messing over Senator Kinsey is its own reward. :)
Same.
Faxon comes off more as a well-meaning tool than a villain as the ''we need to depopulate the Earth to save humanity!'' excuse makes no sense when you consider ''Stargate''. Just settle somewhere else.

Sticking your man tool in Carter is like entering into a deal with Satan. No doubt its great whilst it lasts but eventually you are going to die horribly. It might have been better off for everyone if she gave lesbianism a try :lol: