TNG - Reunion

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Marveryn
Officer

Re: TNG - Reunion

Post by Marveryn »

when i first watch the episode i thought they were going with both candidates try to kill the chancellor with duras with the bomb and Gowran with the poison. Giving us their was no perfect candidate option
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Marveryn wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:44 am when i first watch the episode i thought they were going with both candidates try to kill the chancellor with duras with the bomb and Gowran with the poison. Giving us their was no perfect candidate option
Yeah, Gowron never struck me as a klingonish Klingon either. I vaguely remember thinking the exact same thing. It's two people who go about killing K'mpec in each their own way. Duras being a pretty direct killer who doesn't really care about public appearences too much (because he knows it's bullshit, like everyone else does as well) and Gowron being a snakeweasel, who goes about the business rather underhanded and long-termish.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:58 pm
Marveryn wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:44 am when i first watch the episode i thought they were going with both candidates try to kill the chancellor with duras with the bomb and Gowran with the poison. Giving us their was no perfect candidate option
Yeah, Gowron never struck me as a klingonish Klingon either. I vaguely remember thinking the exact same thing. It's two people who go about killing K'mpec in each their own way. Duras being a pretty direct killer who doesn't really care about public appearences too much (because he knows it's bullshit, like everyone else does as well) and Gowron being a snakeweasel, who goes about the business rather underhanded and long-termish.
Well that's how Gowron played out in the end.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Gowron proved time and time again that he solves his problems by pulling out his knife and duelling whoever it was who was dumb enough to challenge him. We saw this with Worf, we saw this with the clone of Kahless, and he would have done it to Duras's son. Poisoning someone like a Romulan or Cardassian would? Nah. I just do not see it. I think it was always Duras, a man who might as well be a Romulan given his ties and methods.

Here's the thing: unlike the Terran Empire where senseless murder is routine, it is stated in ''Matter of Honor'' that promotion in the Klingon Empire isn't just about killing the guy above. You have to prove that he is unfit for command. I think its a system with merit tbh: how many tragedies throughout history could have been avoided if the mad bastard in charge had been killed by his own men before he could cause harm?
Kem'Pec is old, fat, blind to the enemies around him, and harbours traitors. Gowron could have made a convincing case to duel this guy. He wouldn't have needed underhanded methods.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:31 pm I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Gowron proved time and time again that he solves his problems by pulling out his knife and duelling whoever it was who was dumb enough to challenge him. We saw this with Worf, we saw this with the clone of Kahless, and he would have done it to Duras's son. Poisoning someone like a Romulan or Cardassian would? Nah. I just do not see it. I think it was always Duras, a man who might as well be a Romulan given his ties and methods.

Here's the thing: unlike the Terran Empire where senseless murder is routine, it is stated in ''Matter of Honor'' that promotion in the Klingon Empire isn't just about killing the guy above. You have to prove that he is unfit for command. I think its a system with merit tbh: how many tragedies throughout history could have been avoided if the mad bastard in charge had been killed by his own men before he could cause harm?
Kem'Pec is old, fat, blind to the enemies around him, and harbours traitors. Gowron could have made a convincing case to duel this guy. He wouldn't have needed underhanded methods.
You missed in Redemption when Gowron fought some no name Klingon during some post or pre battle drunk fest.

Gowron has shown more than willing to take up the sword when he needs to as a Klingon.

Hell he was all about fighting Worf in DS9 (the first time) even telling others to back off.

He may have been a politician, a Klingon one but he did do the part of 'being Klingon'.

DS9 did do him dirty in the end when his ego was trying to take Martok down even if the Empire was at a extreme risk of losing the war, and their allies.
I got nothing to say here.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

The thing is Gowron does become the type of underhanded bastard that would poison someone... but thats years later.

Reunion what type of Klingon Gowron is left up in the air... obviously if They went in depth like It be bloody fucking obvious who the culprit was... even though as we've discussed It was kinda bloody fucking obvious from the get go

but all his sequential showings in TNG presents him very much as a "FIGHT ME" type Klingon
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Wargriffin wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:23 pm The thing is Gowron does become the type of underhanded bastard that would poison someone... but thats years later.

Reunion what type of Klingon Gowron is left up in the air... obviously if They went in depth like It be bloody fucking obvious who the culprit was... even though as we've discussed It was kinda bloody fucking obvious from the get go

but all his sequential showings in TNG presents him very much as a "FIGHT ME" type Klingon
I can't help but see similarities between Gowron and Robert Baratheon. I think Gowron certainly would have ended up just as fat and paranoid if he had lived although King Rob was easily the better general in his prime. I think one of the key differences is that whilst Gowron certainly wanted Worf to be his Eddard Stark; Worf never wanted that role, preferring Martok instead. This left Gowron without any counter presence to his bullshit as far as we can tell. We don't even know if Gowron had a wife.

(If you've never seen Game of Thrones then none of what I just wrote will make any sense at all. Sorry.)
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Wargriffin wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:23 pm The thing is Gowron does become the type of underhanded bastard that would poison someone... but thats years later.

Not entirely true, Gowron's flaw of insecurity was first explored on TNG. When Picard was looking for Klingon help in Reunification pt1, he approached Gowron and got the Klingon version of being onhold until he nearly shamed him into helping, because Gowron was wanting to downplay Picard's involvement in his ascension in order to strengthen his Chancellorship. Gowron was always a little insecure, possibly because he wasn't the most physically dominating Klingon in the room-which is also why he was always so up for a physical fight too, and over time his insecurity began to overwhelm his desire to rise to meet his challenges head on.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Small dog, big bark.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

I suppose the issue is The poison thread isn't followed up on since the Bomb takes precedent.... which is funny cause K'mpec implores Picard to discover his killer.

The real issue is why Duras would try to blow Gowron up in a room he's in... unless the Bomb going off was an accident or... the Romulans don't really need the Duras clan in charge of the empire. Be nice but a civil war would weaken the Empire enough that A romulan vs Federation scenario would just be the two of them.

Its always chess with the romulans
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."