Star Trek: Discovery - spoilery thoughts?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Admiral X
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - thoughts?

Post by Admiral X »

It would be rather silly for S31 to have special insignia for Starfleet uniforms. The entire idea of an organization like that would be to blend in, and special insignia would have the opposite effect, to the point that someone might think they are impersonating a Starfleet officer, which they could well be. At the very least you'd have random people going, "huh, I've never seen a black insignia before..."
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Redem
Officer

Post by Redem »

Admiral X wrote:It would be rather silly for S31 to have special insignia for Starfleet uniforms. The entire idea of an organization like that would be to blend in, and special insignia would have the opposite effect, to the point that someone might think they are impersonating a Starfleet officer, which they could well be. At the very least you'd have random people going, "huh, I've never seen a black insignia before..."
They have all-black uniform in the DS9-era though
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Is it a uniform, though, or just the 24th century version of a black business suit?
-TR
Redem
Officer

Post by Redem »

Admiral X wrote:Is it a uniform, though, or just the 24th century version of a black business suit?
Other Section 31 people wears it

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/mem ... -prefix=de
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

My question still applies, though. ;)

-TR
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

I thought Mudd was going to go into a Chuck-esque rant after that "Starfleet arrogance" line. Well they're definitely going for a Horatio Hornblower/Wagon train to the stars theme than TNG utopianism.

I still don't think Lorca is "evil" or Section 31, he still seems more like a Kirk or Sisko type cowboy captain. Like in Arena Kirk vows to hunt down and kill the Gorn, the episode doesn't turn out that way, but its still not something you'd ever see Picard doing.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Wow....Captain Lorca is actually more insane than Archer and Janeway in canon.

I look forward to Chuck's response when tonight's revelation about his previous command comes out.
technobabbler
Officer

Post by technobabbler »

CharlesPhipps wrote:Wow....Captain Lorca is actually more insane than Archer and Janeway in canon.
anyone have guesses how Lorca pulled this off? Presuming Lorca didn't intend to survive, but I can't imagine how that happened...unless Lorca was inside a lead-lined refrigerator on the bridge.
FakeGeekGirl
Officer

Post by FakeGeekGirl »

MissKittyFantastico wrote:Still lagging behind - just saw 'The Lamb Can't Remember The Long Episode Title' - but not only are the fortune cookies still there, now Lorca's got his dinner plate on his desk too. I'm starting to wonder if they actually are setting up for an avalanche-of-tribbles gag down the line.

Oh, and the episode was pretty good too. But mainly I'm still on Tribblewatch.
I want this avalanche of tribbles. I need this avalanche of tribbles.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

technobabbler wrote:
GandALF wrote:"To resist assimilation" interesting choice of words there.
from the limited news that I've heard of (I don't follow Trek news), the Disco-Klingons are supposed to be an allegory about Trump supporters. A little ham-fisted, but ok, I'll go with that.

But the writing/episodes so far (arguably) portray the Federation more like European "White Man Burden" colonial imperialists and the Klingons are written (arguably) as sympathetic. To me, STD/Disco is more like the British v. Zulus. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Zulu_War

And as in-universe, we never see a canon big-picture Alpha Quadrant map, for all we know, the Klingon Empire is on the verge of being surrounded by an expansionist Federation on one side and Romulans on the other (yes, space is 3-D ...assume everyone's on the same plane)

Given the writing, I'm cheering for the Klingons to capture Burnham and try her for war crimes and send her to the Klingon pce prison planet. The End. Season 2: fast forward to 20 years post-DS9.
They are more like ME Islamists but i am only at episode 4.