VOY - Unforgettable

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: VOY - Unforgettable

Post by clearspira »

Deledrius wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:09 pm
clearspira wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:31 pm These guys from Dr Who say hi. Otherwise known as ''this concept but done better''.
Honestly, even there they were fairly forgettable. The bark was worse than the bite, but the concept had promise.
The concept is great - almost Weeping Angel great. But yeah, a typical Moffatt anti-climax.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Deledrius wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:09 pm
clearspira wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:31 pm These guys from Dr Who say hi. Otherwise known as ''this concept but done better''.
Honestly, even there they were fairly forgettable. The bark was worse than the bite, but the concept had promise.
I agree.

As for this episode, I remember liking it. Probably because I really liked her. It did play in the shallow end of the concept, as is too often the case. Gave Beltran a story for once and wasn't about his people. But it could have been more.
Trooper924
Redshirt

Post by Trooper924 »

This episode shows why I've always pitied Neelix rather than hated him: The character could have worked, could've been a rather fun and interesting part of the cast.... but the writers kept insisting on writing him in the most obnoxious way possible.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Stargate looked at this and then said "what if instead of forgetting them, everyone remembers the new guy was always there instead". I liked that episode.

Chuck is right on Neelix too, Ethan could have made him work if only he was allowed to. Even using his overeager ingratiating behaviour could have worked, if we'd been allowed more episodes to peek behind the mask and see why he was that way. The ingredients were there in his backstory, war deserter, witnesser of atrocities, being essentially abandoned in hostile space, constantly on the run from the Kazon, and finally picked up by this, compared to what he was used to, floating palace of a ship... Of course he'd be over eager, and of course he'd be a bit messed up, but we never properly explored it.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:52 pm Stargate looked at this and then said "what if instead of forgetting them, everyone remembers the new guy was always there instead". I liked that episode.

Chuck is right on Neelix too, Ethan could have made him work if only he was allowed to. Even using his overeager ingratiating behaviour could have worked, if we'd been allowed more episodes to peek behind the mask and see why he was that way. The ingredients were there in his backstory, war deserter, witnesser of atrocities, being essentially abandoned in hostile space, constantly on the run from the Kazon, and finally picked up by this, compared to what he was used to, floating palace of a ship... Of course he'd be over eager, and of course he'd be a bit messed up, but we never properly explored it.
Voyager, where we routinely squander all opportunities for interesting stories and characters because we can. Voyager, where potential goes to whither away and die.

That's kind of the mission-statement of the series for some reason. I still remember back when Voyager was about to come out. TNG wasn't far away and I only got access to it in the early 90s anyways, because hooray for the Iron Curtain and German Reuinification. Deep Space 9 basically seemlessly continued on from TNG in '94 and then the next big thing was going to be Voyager in '96 (these series aired a new episode each day, instead of the original one per week). I was hyped, purchased this magazine that described the ship in some detail, the crew and gave synposises of all the episodes of the first season and it all sounded so exciting, magical, fresh. And then you saw it and... invested your time into other hobbies.

It was the Reuinification all over again. Everyone excited and hyped and looking forward to the new possibilities and things that are going to happen. And then the cold harsh reality sets in and the economy collapses and everything goes to shit.
There's this riff here in Germany, based off of those happenings. I think it's common knowledge that the economy in the area of the former GDR completely collapsed after the Reunification, because our industry just could not compete with what the western half of the country could provide and we featured local unemployment rates of 50% (and up, in some more rural areas, heck, some townships simply vanished because people couldn't provide for their living there anymore). In hindsight this riff developed: "Helmut Kohl (I trust you heard the name) promised us "Blühende Landschaften" (blooming fields) if we elect him to Chancellor. We wouldn't have elected him, had we known he meant it literally."

Sorry for the detour, it's just, the resemblence is so striking in my mind.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

I do think the ship needs better ways to deal with intruders than it has. Like a security protocol where any unknown lifeforms on board have their gravity increased to the point that they can't move. Or holographic security officers. Or autofiring turrets. Nobody should be able to be a hostile boarder of a starship
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

drewder wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:29 pm I do think the ship needs better ways to deal with intruders than it has. Like a security protocol where any unknown lifeforms on board have their gravity increased to the point that they can't move. Or holographic security officers. Or autofiring turrets. Nobody should be able to be a hostile boarder of a starship
Autofiring turrets on Voyager would accidentally wipe out the whole crew long before the end of the first season. That's if the visiting dignitary they shot dead didn't provoke a response that killed them all first.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

drewder wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:29 pm I do think the ship needs better ways to deal with intruders than it has. Like a security protocol where any unknown lifeforms on board have their gravity increased to the point that they can't move. Or holographic security officers. Or autofiring turrets. Nobody should be able to be a hostile boarder of a starship
There are are numerous things Starfleet could do but we can add it to the many ways in which they are incompetent. Its like Chuck noted in the Nemesis review: Federation security seems have exactly two options of attack: small guns and slightly bigger guns.

Any professional soldier from near enough any real world country since the 1930s could wipe the floor with Starfleet security. And that's being generous because i'm not sure what answer they would have for most heavily armed gangs throughout the world either. Could you imagine Chakotay taking his ''you looked the wrong way'' shtick against the Cartel? He would end up with a machete through his skull.
remagynona
Redshirt

Post by remagynona »

This episode always gave me the feeling that the writers were cribbing from Clues on TNG. Everyone's memory gets wiped by a xenophobic race that wants to conceal themselves, only now it's their very biology does it instead of Data, also here's a forgettable and doomed romance. Was much more interesting the first time around with the genuine mystery and the suspicion around Data.
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

Riedquat wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:35 pm
Autofiring turrets on Voyager would accidentally wipe out the whole crew long before the end of the first season. That's if the visiting dignitary they shot dead didn't provoke a response that killed them all first.
Presumably the turrets would only activate during red alert. Also you just need to register each visitor as they come aboard. The ship can detect individual life signs from orbit, i bet it can track who is on board.