A Positive Look At: Star Trek Lower Decks

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: A Positive Look At: Star Trek Lower Decks

Post by Deledrius »

That part was refreshing. They definitely hoped you'd forget all of the terrible suffering of the entire season leading up to it.

It's that same tactic remakes use which are nothing like the work they're based on, but then throw in a remix of the original theme song in the final credits so you leave the theater feeling nostalgia.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Remember when the Federation condoned genocide TWICE during the Berman era? One of which was enacted by an organization the Federation had turned a blind eye towards for 200 years.

Oh booo hooo Gene's optimistic vision is ruined.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Makeshift Python wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:24 pm Oh booo hooo Gene's optimistic vision is ruined.
That's a tired counter-argument to a claim that wasn't made.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Perhaps, but I still roll my eyes at the complaint about the Federation’s portrayal, as if they never made horribly questionable decisions pre-Kurtzman productions.

It’s become a trope that the protagonist crews are the ones that are more enlightened than the government they represent.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Makeshift Python wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:43 am Perhaps, but I still roll my eyes at the complaint about the Federation’s portrayal, as if they never made horribly questionable decisions pre-Kurtzman productions.

It’s become a trope that the protagonist crews are the ones that are more enlightened than the government they represent.
Very true, and an excellent point.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Honestly, I felt that Picard was cheap ass in its portrayal of Federation flaws. Patrick Stewart wanted to handle Brexit and the refugee crisis but it turns out it's Brexit, except Boris Johnson is secretly a Syrian secret policeman under Assad in the service of a 2000 year old conspiracy to prevent computers from rising in Britain.

I mean, THE ROMULANS ARE BEHIND IT pretty much undermines all its darkness.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:08 am I mean, THE ROMULANS ARE BEHIND IT pretty much undermines all its darkness.
That's what I thought, too. It doesn't invalidate the arguments, but the show barely engages with any of that anyway so all it does is undermine the narrative elements of the metaphor that did make it on screen.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Deledrius wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:33 amThat's what I thought, too. It doesn't invalidate the arguments, but the show barely engages with any of that anyway so all it does is undermine the narrative elements of the metaphor that did make it on screen.
Yeah, my take is that rather than a deconstruction of the Federation, it's mostly a Pulpy space adventure on the Millennium Serenity with Obi Wan Picard.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

FYI, for those interested who haven't already seen it, the interview from earlier this year that included McMahan is here:

youtu.be/yBDJXZblWLk
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

So, Mariner confirmed for bi! Mariner-Tendi bonding with a joke about how long overdue it is!

Oh yeah and some guy named Tom. Not sure what that's about, I've never been much of a voyager fan.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville