TNG - The Masterpiece Society

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: TNG - The Masterpiece Society

Post by Deledrius »

Riedquat wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:06 pm The problem there tends to be that it can result in people messing around with something that you're already quite happy with, destroying what you like about it, and them saying "well sod off to somewhere else where you can have that and let us do what we like."
Sounds like Star Trek when you put it that way.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Riedquat wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:43 pmIs the pretty much entire loss of a culture as the result of that mixing fine if it brings purely material gains?
I think that the only people who should be deciding what elements of a culture should be continued are the people who practice it. It's like if everyone converts to worshiping Superman, that's not a loss of Catholicism or Islam, that's just people choosing to express themselves. People don't exist as living museums.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Makeshift Python wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:42 pm I think the boring part comes from just how utterly talky and understated TNG had become by S5. Just a few episodes prior, Spock made an appearance which I'm sure was a big deal at the time. People wondering what kind of adventure Spock was going to join in on with the TNG crew. In the end, it was just him and Picard hanging around in caves. TNG had very much strayed away from the pulpy adventurous tone of TOS.
I think that was actually part of the issue with the Romulans and why they never succeeded as villains unlike the Borg or Cardassians. The Cardassians are pulpy scene chewing Space Nazis and basically a slightly more serious Galactic Empire. The Romulans, aside from having a bad uniform design, are always so understated that they never seem to be scene chewingly entertaining.

Well, except once.

"IT'S A FAKE!"
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:06 am The Romulans, aside from having a bad uniform design
How dare you!

:lol:

Romulans would never have to share a thermal blanket like Odo and Quark did in The Ascent.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:04 am
Riedquat wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:43 pmIs the pretty much entire loss of a culture as the result of that mixing fine if it brings purely material gains?
I think that the only people who should be deciding what elements of a culture should be continued are the people who practice it. It's like if everyone converts to worshiping Superman, that's not a loss of Catholicism or Islam, that's just people choosing to express themselves. People don't exist as living museums.
Sure, I certainly believe in choice. I also recognise the fairly common desire to jump for whatever offers immediate superficial appeal and come to regret that later.

The old "museum" argument any time someone is concerned about things being destroyed often sounds like it fails to understand the worth of a living system.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:06 am
Makeshift Python wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:42 pm I think the boring part comes from just how utterly talky and understated TNG had become by S5. Just a few episodes prior, Spock made an appearance which I'm sure was a big deal at the time. People wondering what kind of adventure Spock was going to join in on with the TNG crew. In the end, it was just him and Picard hanging around in caves. TNG had very much strayed away from the pulpy adventurous tone of TOS.
I think that was actually part of the issue with the Romulans and why they never succeeded as villains unlike the Borg or Cardassians. The Cardassians are pulpy scene chewing Space Nazis and basically a slightly more serious Galactic Empire. The Romulans, aside from having a bad uniform design, are always so understated that they never seem to be scene chewingly entertaining.

Well, except once.

"IT'S A FAKE!"
It's not just the Romulans, but everything else. Just look at how unexciting Data, Picard and Spock's escape from Romulan captivity is. They're left alone in a room where they can play with a holographic projector (horrible oversight by Sela), then trick Sela and nerve pinch her, and then simply walk away. There's no daring escape involved. There's no exciting fire fight. THERE'S NO URGENCY! It's just all done in a calmly manner like they're about to go out for tea.

I think this clip is the worst example of TNG trying to be understated.

youtu.be/gtSmsdoKogM

I have to assume the understatement is all part of Berman's aesthetic during the early 90s. The demands for actors to downplay their acting so that aliens can stand out. Telling the composers to not make any music with a hint of emotion (hence Ron Jones' firing).
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Makeshift Python wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:53 am

youtu.be/gtSmsdoKogM

I have to assume the understatement is all part of Berman's aesthetic during the early 90s. The demands for actors to downplay their acting so that aliens can stand out. Telling the composers to not make any music with a hint of emotion (hence Ron Jones' firing).
Either that or it's "we're calm and not panicked", which fails in the face of considering "this is an emergency where a quick response is necessary." Rapid and unflustered can be difficult to pull off.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

The only thing that would make their strolling make sense is if they were told Wesley was in that cargo bay.
ran76
Redshirt

Post by ran76 »

Chuck's Prime Directive rant is the closest I remember him getting legit angry.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Riedquat wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:41 pm
Makeshift Python wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:53 am

youtu.be/gtSmsdoKogM

Either that or it's "we're calm and not panicked", which fails in the face of considering "this is an emergency where a quick response is necessary." Rapid and unflustered can be difficult to pull off.
From what Garrett Wang and Rob McNeill on their podcast claim, the corridor set on Voyager was far shorter than you'd imagine, entailing them to have to continuously cut back to the start of the set during longer scenes.

If that was the same on TNG it would explain why they are walking.