A Positive Look At: Star Trek Lower Decks

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: A Positive Look At: Star Trek Lower Decks

Post by Madner Kami »

"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I have to admit, there's only one thing that puts me off this from what I hear, which is the meta-humor, that I've felt Star Trek should never really have (Galaxy Quest is not Star Trek), where it's kinda poking fun at your own foibles. Tbh, that seemed more Stargate's forte, not Star Trek.

But in any event, my server colleagues have sold me. I intend to check this out once it's wrapped up. And I admit the visuals look good. Like something you'd expect around the Dominion War era. I've already downloaded the first ten episodes, and am in the process of nabbing every new one that pops up.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

I would say approach Lower Decks like the Federation's answer to Beetle Bailey. It almost seems like it's meant to be something to to entertain a 24th century audience with the more ridiculous aspects of Starfleet life exaggerated to the extreme for the sake of humor. Of course, as fans of Star Trek, it's also entertaining and humorous to us. If anything, it's nice to have something that can poke fun at Trek without coming off as disparaging towards the property or its fans. It laughs with us, not at us.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Yeah. Could be! I'll take the advice.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Al-1701 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:37 pm I would say approach Lower Decks like the Federation's answer to Beetle Bailey. It almost seems like it's meant to be something to to entertain a 24th century audience with the more ridiculous aspects of Starfleet life exaggerated to the extreme for the sake of humor.
That could work. Would have been a nice conceit to work into the show, like that confusing Tribble commercial.
Al-1701 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:37 pm If anything, it's nice to have something that can poke fun at Trek without coming off as disparaging towards the property or its fans. It laughs with us, not at us.
I'd say that's demonstrably not the case most of the time. At best it can't decide which way it wants to go with this and ends up jumping manically back and forth across the line while shouting something irreverent at full volume.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, tbh, what drew me to downloading the series was the scene where some girl flies up to this other girl and yanks her pants down, showing off bright red underwear. It's just something you so rarely see, it was endearing to me. I REALLY want to know the context, lol. That really kinda grabbed me, I liked it, just from a vacuum on the outside. I'm not against fanservice, and I felt that was hot. Sue me. :P

The other stuff, atm, I'm cautious about.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Al-1701 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:37 pm If anything, it's nice to have something that can poke fun at Trek without coming off as disparaging towards the property or its fans. It laughs with us, not at us.
This is it right here. This is basically for fans who love Trek but aren’t above poking fun at it. It comes from a place of love, not hate. If you perceive the show attacking what you love, you probably need to step away. Life’s too short to be so serious about what’s a fictional universe.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Madner Kami wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:45 am Image
I do not take your meaning. Is that a cringe at my response or some more nuanced cue that I'm totally missing?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Makeshift Python wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:19 am
This is it right here. This is basically for fans who love Trek but aren’t above poking fun at it. It comes from a place of love, not hate. If you perceive the show attacking what you love, you probably need to step away. Life’s too short to be so serious about what’s a fictional universe.
Which is why everyone who has seen Galaxy Quest who is a Trek fan considers it a Trek movie. And a damned good one too.
I got nothing to say here.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, as I said, once it's done, I'll give it a whirl.