TNG- 11001001

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Archanubis
Officer

Re: TNG- 11001001

Post by Archanubis »

TGLS wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:39 am
Archanubis wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:25 am I'm kind of of hoping for a story where Mariner's habitual demotions actually have someone from Starfleet threaten to either send her to a dead end posting, like the quartermaster's office or something, or thrown out of Starfleet entirely.
As I understand it, the paradox of this is that the Cerritos is supposed to be a dead-end posting. Then again, thrown out would work.
Can't be THAT much of a dead end posting if Boimler was able to be promoted and reassigned to the Titan at the end of Season 1.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Archanubis wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:06 pmCan't be THAT much of a dead end posting if Boimler was able to be promoted and reassigned to the Titan at the end of Season 1.
Escaping it is the only way to save your career. The last episode confirms it's the lowest performing ship in Starfleet.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: TNG - 11001001

Post by McAvoy »

Archanubis wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:57 pm
cdrood wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:02 pm They may not. Remember the episode when the Enterprise computer gets flaky and it takes Data nearly being killed for Geordi to come up with the groundbreaking idea of "restore from backup and reboot"?
To be fair, that's because the Enterprise caught a computer worm. Because apparently, no one in the entire Federation has heard of a firewall and anti-virus.
I kinda chaulk up the basic issues in Star Trek especially TOS and TNG as the writers not really understanding computers. It's not like today where I would say 99.9% of us know how to some basic fixes if it the computer starts acting up.
I got nothing to say here.
Archanubis
Officer

Post by Archanubis »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:36 pm
Archanubis wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:06 pmCan't be THAT much of a dead end posting if Boimler was able to be promoted and reassigned to the Titan at the end of Season 1.
Escaping it is the only way to save your career. The last episode confirms it's the lowest performing ship in Starfleet.
In fairness, the tests were pretty much designed to fail.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Archanubis wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:57 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:36 pm
In fairness, [color=#FFFFF]the tests were pretty much designed to fail.[/color]
Boimler succeeded, multiple times. Until evil mommy told him to fail on purpose. Also, Kobayashi says what?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:40 am
Archanubis wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:57 pm
cdrood wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:02 pm They may not. Remember the episode when the Enterprise computer gets flaky and it takes Data nearly being killed for Geordi to come up with the groundbreaking idea of "restore from backup and reboot"?
To be fair, that's because the Enterprise caught a computer worm. Because apparently, no one in the entire Federation has heard of a firewall and anti-virus.
I kinda chaulk up the basic issues in Star Trek especially TOS and TNG as the writers not really understanding computers. It's not like today where I would say 99.9% of us know how to some basic fixes if it the computer starts acting up.
It is VERY hard for us today to put ourselves into the mindset of people back then when it comes to computers. We've effectively gone from slide rules to the world being driven by the internet within a single lifetime. You can see why people got confused.

You only need to watch films as recent as 1995's Johnny Mnemonic or The Web to have a good laugh.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:40 am I kinda chaulk up the basic issues in Star Trek especially TOS and TNG as the writers not really understanding computers. It's not like today where I would say 99.9% of us know how to some basic fixes if it the computer starts acting up.
Honestly, the current crop of writers are hardly any better. They know words like "firewall" exist, but they abuse it as badly as the deflector dish in Voyager, meaning whatever they need it to. The layman's understanding now encompasses computer terminology, but the actual understanding is no deeper now than it was then.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Deledrius wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:14 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:40 am I kinda chaulk up the basic issues in Star Trek especially TOS and TNG as the writers not really understanding computers. It's not like today where I would say 99.9% of us know how to some basic fixes if it the computer starts acting up.
Honestly, the current crop of writers are hardly any better. They know words like "firewall" exist, but they abuse it as badly as the deflector dish in Voyager, meaning whatever they need it to. The layman's understanding now encompasses computer terminology, but the actual understanding is no deeper now than it was then.
There was an excuse for TOS and TNG in that computers were too new for the writers to understand them. But yeah now, with how involved a cell phone or a computer is, that barely anyone under 60 should not be able to understand the basics of a computer system.
I got nothing to say here.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

M-hm, is that so? Well, explain to me please, how a CPU works. Or try to explain why having multiple non-OS-integrated firewalls or anti-virus programs (or even just one for that matter) is the dumbest idea in the history of ever (presuming you actually are aware why that is a problem yourself). Electronics in particular are essentially magic to your average everyday user. Even explaining something simple like an internal combustion engine will make them sound like a Pakled ("An explosion makes things go round").
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Guys, dial it down.

We all know computers aren't real.