Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot: Does Anyone Actually Remember This?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot: Does Anyone Actually Remember This?

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:00 am The feminism didn't make the movie bad. The movie bad made the movie bad.
You are exactly right. The movie as whole wasn't good and the feminism stuff didn't make it any better.

To me the tone of the movie is so far removed from the originals that it just doesn't sit well.

The acting which I think is more of the director's fault since he is more known for these types of movies just doesn't feel real either.

Leslie Jones's character feels more real than the others but she is written or acted too much like some over top loud black lady.

McCarthy to me doesn't fit this sort of movie either. Like she ad lib the whole movie. Too many senseless scenes of her doing random stuff.

What the hell was Kate McKinnon trying to do in this movie? Over the top cartoonish weirdness? That's it? Say random weird things?
I got nothing to say here.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

It also feels weird that a film that try to be progressive with the female improvement message ha da line saying they are all geniuses except the one black lady.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:00 am The feminism didn't make the movie bad. The movie bad made the movie bad.
I really like the movie.

It is not without flaws, (IMHO: Bill Murray is entirely useless to the story and should not have been in it) but I like the look of the ghosts, I like the variety of ghostbusting weapons, I find most of the jokes to be really funny, and I really like the bad guy.

If back in the day "Ghostbusters II" had a similar plot and been about a guy who used Ghostbusting technology to summon ghosts and turn himself into a giant world ending monster, people would have loved it. And considering how many new modes/weapons the video game introduced to the mythology that were fun and inventive I have to imagine these new ones would have been well received too.

And let me be clear, this is not a "he is not a real ghostbusters fan" BS that people can push on me. I have seen the original more 100 times, I watched the cartoon religiously as a child, I consider "Extreme Ghostbusters" the most underrated cartoon of the 90's (it is on the Ghostbuster's YouTube channel, check out the first couple episodes, you'll be hooked) and I own a shit load of their comic book collections.

I like the 2016 movie and I deeply resent how many people crusaded against it. I dislike "Fast and the Furious" but I don't bitch endlessly about it, I let the people who like it, like it and I watch something else. But I had to have my fun spoiled by people who ran the gamut from just the shittiest of incel trash to people who disliked the movie, but felt the desire to constantly justify their dislike because they didn't want to be associated with the incel trash.

And good lord the constant negativity. Fuck off.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Since we are still discussing this. The first turn off to the movie was that Erin had distanced herself from investigating ghosts and was getting on with her life. She finds out her name was tacked onto a book that would ruin her credibility. And when she went to ask her former associate to retract her name. They pranked her then upped the ante on using her credibility to push the book sales.

This is like me shaking Stephen King's hand and putting him on the cover as co-writing a book with me. It isn't right.

But the original Ghostbusters the crew knew and respected each other. Venkman might have been a scammer, but he also was the voice of reason and kept the guys grounded. Since Spengler and Stantz were too eager to jump into anything.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:25 pm But I had to have my fun spoiled by people who ran the gamut from just the shittiest of incel trash to people who disliked the movie, but felt the desire to constantly justify their dislike because they didn't want to be associated with the incel trash.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you liking something.
But that does not mean that if someone asks if it is remembered. Or why did you like/dislike this movie. Should people sit on their hands? No. Everyone has movies they dislike or don't get. My uncle does not see the appeal of Star Wars. My father has no interest in Harry Potter. I personally refuse to watch Titanic with DiCaprio.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Nealithi wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:42 pm Since we are still discussing this. The first turn off to the movie was that Erin had distanced herself from investigating ghosts and was getting on with her life. She finds out her name was tacked onto a book that would ruin her credibility. And when she went to ask her former associate to retract her name. They pranked her then upped the ante on using her credibility to push the book sales.

This is like me shaking Stephen King's hand and putting him on the cover as co-writing a book with me. It isn't right.

But the original Ghostbusters the crew knew and respected each other. Venkman might have been a scammer, but he also was the voice of reason and kept the guys grounded. Since Spengler and Stantz were too eager to jump into anything.
No it isn't. She was the coauthor. They weren't even pushing the book, her tenure review board found out she coauthored the book.

Also, interpersonal drama is a valid story component. The original didn't have it, but that doesn't mean different movies with different casts and stories can't.

Also, what are you talking about Spengler and Stantz were too eager to jump into things? Peter had to talk them into starting the ghost busting business after they were fired, Ray was super hesitant. Remember Ray having to mortgage his family home? And how Peter jumped to do so?
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Nealithi wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:48 pm
Rocketboy1313 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:25 pm But I had to have my fun spoiled by people who ran the gamut from just the shittiest of incel trash to people who disliked the movie, but felt the desire to constantly justify their dislike because they didn't want to be associated with the incel trash.

But that does not mean that if someone asks if it is remembered. Or why did you like/dislike this movie. Should people sit on their hands? No. Everyone has movies they dislike or don't get. My uncle does not see the appeal of Star Wars. My father has no interest in Harry Potter. I personally refuse to watch Titanic with DiCaprio.
What?
I am not talking about this forum currently. I am talking about how much bullshit surrounded this movie for months to years.

There were incels bringing it up with conversations about Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, or literally any movie that came out with a woman in the role.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:50 pm
Nealithi wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:42 pm Since we are still discussing this. The first turn off to the movie was that Erin had distanced herself from investigating ghosts and was getting on with her life. She finds out her name was tacked onto a book that would ruin her credibility. And when she went to ask her former associate to retract her name. They pranked her then upped the ante on using her credibility to push the book sales.

No it isn't. She was the coauthor. They weren't even pushing the book, her tenure review board found out she coauthored the book.

Also, interpersonal drama is a valid story component. The original didn't have it, but that doesn't mean different movies with different casts and stories can't.

Also, what are you talking about Spengler and Stantz were too eager to jump into things? Peter had to talk them into starting the ghost busting business after they were fired, Ray was super hesitant. Remember Ray having to mortgage his family home? And how Peter jumped to do so?
Spengler and Stantz were chomping at the bit to get into the lower library. "No human stacks books like this." Collecting slime as positive proof. Spengler had at one point been attempting to drill a hole in his head and Venkman stopped him. That was Peter reigning them in. The business venture? I honestly don't know how he thought that was a good idea. It somehow does and does not fit his character.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:52 pm
Nealithi wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:48 pm

What?
I am not talking about this forum currently. I am talking about how much bullshit surrounded this movie for months to years.

There were incels bringing it up with conversations about Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, or literally any movie that came out with a woman in the role.
Ahh, the people complaining about wahmyn or however that ludicrous word is meant to be spelled.
But the line I emboldened (made bold?) I think sums things up. Too many people were pulling the 'if you didn't like this movie you hate women' comment. And that is infuriating. Let's go with, I think it was your comment, the Fast and the Furious movies. I saw the first and thought it was alright. The second felt weak and I felt no need to see them further. It lost appeal to me. But I was never accused of being a car hater because I didn't like them. Does that make sense?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Nealithi wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:58 pm Spengler and Stantz were chomping at the bit to get into the lower library. "No human stacks books like this." Collecting slime as positive proof. Spengler had at one point been attempting to drill a hole in his head and Venkman stopped him. That was Peter reigning them in. The business venture? I honestly don't know how he thought that was a good idea. It somehow does and does not fit his character.
One of the things I missed as a child is Peter doesn't actually believe in ghosts or the paranormal. At least at the start of the movie. The joke is that he became a parapsychologist because he thought it was a field of science that didn't require any real work or credibility. I have the weird idea he and Ray were roommates and he thought it would be a sincure position.

So Peter finds out they're real and sees a chance to make a large amount of money off his friend's research.