Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot: Does Anyone Actually Remember This?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot: Does Anyone Actually Remember This?

Post by Madner Kami »

Elaborate, please.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Libertarianism is far more a critique of Communism. One is individualistic, the other is collectivist. Free market Capitalism and Libertarianism go together hand-in-hand.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:25 am Elaborate, please.
He's using the less common definition of critique (i.e. "detailed analysis") as opposed to the more colloquial definition of "critical analysis".
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

It's entirely possible to have Capitalism in a form that is completely hostile to and incompatible with Libertarianism. You could even argue that's what China has now - it's Communist in name only.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

I feel the free flow of an exchange medium is crucial to a capitalist society and that's absolutely not a given in the chinese system. I mean, their system is very aptly described as "government-" or "state-capitalism" and there's a very distinct hypercapitalistic tendency in there, but that doesn't make it a true capitalist system.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

China is about the closest modern example to the ideal of actual Fascism, not Nazism or the superficial trappings of Fascism, but what it aims for: To subordinate all to the will of the state as cells of the body are to the brain working without individual self-interest. If you are not of utility to the state, you are nothing.

The only difference is an egotist like Mussolini saw himself as naturally such a body's consciousness and personality that directs the whole while the Chinese are the Chinese and the CCP sits in place of a Duce.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:54 am I feel the free flow of an exchange medium is crucial to a capitalist society
You feel? Nice way to remove the matter from the domain of the objective and into subjective perceptions. But I'm not falling for it.

Free flow of ideas isn't required for the formal definition of Capitalism to apply. Not in the strong sense, and not in the weak sense.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Frustration wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:44 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:54 am I feel the free flow of an exchange medium is crucial to a capitalist society
You feel? Nice way to remove the matter from the domain of the objective and into subjective perceptions. But I'm not falling for it.

Free flow of ideas isn't required for the formal definition of Capitalism to apply. Not in the strong sense, and not in the weak sense.
No, free flow of exchange medium (i.e. Money) not ideas. China has tons of restrictions on the flow of both.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Oh. My apologies.

I'm pretty sure Capitalism doesn't require the free movement of exchange, either, but I'll have to look it up.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

No country in the world is 100% capitalist anyway. The last time we really saw one of those was in the 19th century when we told the poor to sink or swim.