Christmas Show 2021

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Re: Christmas Show 2021

Post by CrypticMirror »

TGLS wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:02 am OK, so I have permission to provide a list of clues for the Christmas show for this year. I'll provide 1 a day up until Christmas.

Dec-14) Chuck reviewed many of the writer's other works.
Dec-15) None of the cast went on to anything of note.
14: Credited or uncredited, as a writer or in some other capacity?
15: But prior? This is where I really fall down on it. All the works on the NFR either they went onto something, or they were coming off of something. Or they were in a work whose credited writers have not been covered as a credited writer.
Dec-18) It is an adaptation.
Of what? A book, a play, a french folk tale, an opera, of Uncle Walt's fevered dreams?

Further, is it a SFF film or something else entirely? 'Cause right now I am still either 2001 or The Muppet Movie. I'd be happy if it were Muppets, to be fair here. Wait, am I now going to be sad when it turns out not to be Muppets? Darn, I think I am. Aw man, I made myself sad by putting Muppets on the table in jest.

Further edit:
Dec-19) It is not the worst film of a franchise.
Not the worst film of a franchise, meaning it is part of a franchise but not the worst? Or not the worst film of a franchise, meaning that is isn't in a franchise at all? Where is the stress being laid on those words?
Last edited by CrypticMirror on Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Funnily enough, if you take out the ''Chuck has reviewed a lot of this writers other works'' clue, then the Wizard of Oz fits this perfectly. Definitely an adaption, a franchise, referenced by the Simpsons, has a soundtrack that outperformed the film, in the national film registry, and has a cast that went onto do nothing of note.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

TGLS wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:02 am Dec-21) You could say that its soundtrack outperformed the movie.
So this is a new review right? He's not just re-uploading an old review? Because this clue makes me think of The Transformers: The Movie except he already reviewed that one.

Felix The Cat might be another one, since the soundtrack was released and proved more popular than the film, although it seems an odd choice for Chuck.

Hey, taking a near random shot; how about...Disney's Aladdin (1992)?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

CrypticMirror wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:02 pm
TGLS wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:02 am OK, so I have permission to provide a list of clues for the Christmas show for this year. I'll provide 1 a day up until Christmas.

Dec-14) Chuck reviewed many of the writer's other works.
Dec-15) None of the cast went on to anything of note.
14: Credited or uncredited, as a writer or in some other capacity?
Credited as a writer both in and previously.
CrypticMirror wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:02 pm15: But prior? This is where I really fall down on it. All the works on the NFR either they went onto something, or they were coming off of something. Or they were in a work whose credited writers have not been covered as a credited writer.
Prior is allowed.
Dec-18) It is an adaptation.
Of what? A book, a play, a french folk tale, an opera, of Uncle Walt's fevered dreams?
By adaptation, I mean it has source material. Won't say what kind, be it television show, move remake, or whatever.

Further, is it a SFF film or something else entirely? 'Cause right now I am still either 2001 or The Muppet Movie. I'd be happy if it were Muppets, to be fair here. Wait, am I now going to be sad when it turns out not to be Muppets? Darn, I think I am. Aw man, I made myself sad by putting Muppets on the table in jest.
Yes, it fits into the spectrum of SF
CrypticMirror wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:02 pmFurther edit:
Dec-19) It is not the worst film of a franchise.
Not the worst film of a franchise, meaning it is part of a franchise but not the worst? Or not the worst film of a franchise, meaning that is isn't in a franchise at all? Where is the stress being laid on those words?
I said what I said to create ambiguity.
phantom000 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:37 pm
TGLS wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:02 am Dec-21) You could say that its soundtrack outperformed the movie.
So this is a new review right? He's not just re-uploading an old review?
Yes, it's new.

--

One more thing, the Dec-24 clue is the most important.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
AllanO
Officer

Post by AllanO »

Just to be a little positive it strikes me that the only cases where it's going to be unambiguous that the cast did not go on to do anything of note afterwards would be ones where the cast has died by the time the film is released. However I can't think of any film from a franchise were released like that.
Mabus wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:28 pm Yeah, but is 2001 even a proper franchise in the first place? That's what I don't get it.
I've never actually seen it but 2010: The Year We Made Contact, but I was pretty sure it was a direct sequel to 2001 (I have read the book), making it part of a two movie film series or franchise (in addition to being part of the franchise of film and book series). Checking IMDB sure enough some of the cast returned (or at least were used in footage) others did not (some prominent ones). Pretty clearly 2010 is a way more forgettable film than 2001 so I can believe 2001 counts as not the worst film in its franchise on several different reads.

However it would be strange to suggest nobody in 2001 went on to do anything of note, as clearly they did. Like Keir Dullea (Dave Bowman) is still getting new IMDB entries, he was in 2010 and he was in Starlost. :D
clearspira wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:31 pm Funnily enough, if you take out the ''Chuck has reviewed a lot of this writers other works'' clue, then the Wizard of Oz fits this perfectly. Definitely an adaption, a franchise, referenced by the Simpsons, has a soundtrack that outperformed the film, in the national film registry, and has a cast that went onto do nothing of note.
Maybe I'm just an obscure film buff (against that I had to look these up on IMDB but I have seen one of them) but I don't think Judy Garland's later work in films like A Star is Born (1954) (where she stars) and Judgement at Nuremberg (she has an extended speaking role) can be considered not of note.
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

"It is with philosophy as with religion : men marvel at the absurdity of other people's tenets, while exactly parallel absurdities remain in their own." John Stuart Mill
Rynjin
Redshirt

Post by Rynjin »

Weird shot in the dark, but depending on how you interpret some of the clues, it could be the Thriller music video.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Dec-22 clue up
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Well today's clue settles it: either i just suck at this game (highly possible) or I have never watched this film. Scrolling down the film registry there is nothing I can think of that fits all of these things. My gut is telling me that I am going to be raising my eyebrows at some of these clues on the 25th but maybe not.
Rynjin
Redshirt

Post by Rynjin »

I'm feelin' good about that Thriller guess still.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

I'm just bummed that it isn't going to be Muppets now. Darn, I should never have joked about putting Muppets on the table. I just shouldn't have, I did this to myself.