SG1 Maternal Instinct

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
TGLS
Captain

SG1 Maternal Instinct

Post by TGLS »

The website is currently broken, youtube here:

youtu.be/HYpaOmfhlBU
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Frustration
Captain

Re: SG1 Maternal Instinct

Post by Frustration »

I wish Oma wasn't a Caucasian woman. Granted they have to get actors as they can, and they shoot in Vancouver, but it would have been a nice touch.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Is this the episode that Daniel finally learns that he can't go mad with power everytime he gets special abilities? It seems like he goes through that one a few times over the first few years of the series.
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

Frustration wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:46 pm I wish Oma wasn't a Caucasian woman. Granted they have to get actors as they can, and they shoot in Vancouver, but it would have been a nice touch.
You say that like Vancouver doesn't have a giant thriving Asian community. Chinese, South Asians and Filipinos combined account for 26 Percent of the population of Greater Vancouver.

I do agree they could've picked someone Asian, but I don't think the difficulty in doing so was from lack of availability. Sadly we can look at Emmancipation where the only female talking role in a village of not!mongols is... white.
CrypticMirror wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:04 am Is this the episode that Daniel finally learns that he can't go mad with power everytime he gets special abilities? It seems like he goes through that one a few times over the first few years of the series.
No that's Absolute Power
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

CrypticMirror wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:04 am Is this the episode that Daniel finally learns that he can't go mad with power everytime he gets special abilities? It seems like he goes through that one a few times over the first few years of the series.
As I recall, he also tended to get stuck in Twilight Zone type plots a lot where weird space shit was happening to only him, and everyone else would either not believe him or think he was going crazy, despite the fact that they all work in a place where weird space shit happens every other day of the week.

Such a relief when the writing staff changed over and they made the characters more self-aware.
Swiftbow
Officer

Post by Swiftbow »

Daniel also went mad with power in "Need," where he used the Sarcophagus a few too many times.

Absolute Power was the return of Shifu (the kid in this episode) and, sadly, his last appearance. I think it would have been quite interesting to bring back all the Ascended that the SG team had a personal relationship with for the Ark of Truth movie and not just Morgan Le Fay. Would have had more pathos. (And also made more sense.)
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

Eh, I don't see the big issue with Oma being a white woman. I'm pretty sure originally the Ascendant beings weren't supposed to be Ancients and Ancients weren't supposed to be human-like. So in retrospect the writers decided to just combine the three, since why not, you're creating some continuity with different story lines.

The only aspect that doesn't gel properly is with Oma wiping out the Jaffa so casually. Later in the show, after the writers made the Other Ascendant Ancients to be complete dicks with no regard for human lives and suffering, we're told that they're also willing to fiercely prevent any Ascendant being from interfering with the mortals too much. And while Daniel described Oma as bending the Ascendant laws until near the breaking point, I doubt incinerating an entire Jaffa battalion would not be not considered breaking the non-interference rule.

One explanation I can think of: the Others were more willing to turn an eye on Oma killing Jaffa, as long as it only happened on that planet and that planet alone. We're never told when exactly Anubis managed to fool Oma into ascending him, in "Threads", Oma says that he came to Keb, so maybe the Others punished her by only allowing her free reign on that planet and that planet alone, while watching helplessly how Anubis wrecked havoc on the Galaxy, kind of like they punished Chaya Sar by forcing her to only protect that planet she saved from the Wraith while allowing the Pegasus Galaxy to die, in that boring Atlantis episode from S1.
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

That SGA episode annoyed me so much

"Oh man, a planet safe from wraiths forever"

Just like... take the gate out of orbit, put it on the ground. You have the technology. You have spaceships. This is literally a planet that solves ALL of your problems. The wraith can't go there. They will LITERALLY get blinked out of existence.
Swiftbow
Officer

Post by Swiftbow »

Mabus wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:52 pm Eh, I don't see the big issue with Oma being a white woman. I'm pretty sure originally the Ascendant beings weren't supposed to be Ancients and Ancients weren't supposed to be human-like. So in retrospect the writers decided to just combine the three, since why not, you're creating some continuity with different story lines.

The only aspect that doesn't gel properly is with Oma wiping out the Jaffa so casually. Later in the show, after the writers made the Other Ascendant Ancients to be complete dicks with no regard for human lives and suffering, we're told that they're also willing to fiercely prevent any Ascendant being from interfering with the mortals too much. And while Daniel described Oma as bending the Ascendant laws until near the breaking point, I doubt incinerating an entire Jaffa battalion would not be not considered breaking the non-interference rule.

One explanation I can think of: the Others were more willing to turn an eye on Oma killing Jaffa, as long as it only happened on that planet and that planet alone. We're never told when exactly Anubis managed to fool Oma into ascending him, in "Threads", Oma says that he came to Keb, so maybe the Others punished her by only allowing her free reign on that planet and that planet alone, while watching helplessly how Anubis wrecked havoc on the Galaxy, kind of like they punished Chaya Sar by forcing her to only protect that planet she saved from the Wraith while allowing the Pegasus Galaxy to die, in that boring Atlantis episode from S1.
I believe that yes, it was established that Oma had free reign on Keb, as part of her exile. I think it was also allowed because it wasn't the Ascended messing with mortal business... it was mortals messing with Ascended business, which means they can respond as they see fit. (Like they did when Merlin first attempted to make the San'graal.)

Interesting thing to note... Daniel acts in that episode as if Oma is more a force of nature than a conscious being, and if they fired their weapons, she'd kill them, too. It's pretty clear later on that no, she would have differentiated between the two sides regardless of whether the team had defended themselves or not.
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

Frustration wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:46 pm I wish Oma wasn't a Caucasian woman. Granted they have to get actors as they can, and they shoot in Vancouver, but it would have been a nice touch.
Sela Ward was a fairly well known actress from the early to mid nineties. The Stargate showrunners likely thought it was a coup to have her play a recurring guest role.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress