Fanfic ideas you've had/would like to see.

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Re: Fanfic ideas you've had/would like to see.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Hah. I have four major fan fics in (slow) progress myself.

Edit: Might as well put this in here, rather than double-post (originally posted as a vs. thread on Star Destroyer.net):

Bruce Wayne wakes up in the body of Robert Baratheon, King of Westeros.

I can think of a few places it could happen, and I'm not sure which would be more interesting.

1. Right before/early in Robert's Rebellion.

2. Shortly after the war/around Robert's coronation.

3. Start of the series.

Probably some others, but those are the most obvious.

Would probably be TV-verse for Game of Thrones, since I'm more familiar with it.

The other big question is, which version of Bruce Wayne? Right now I'm more or less tied between Bale's and Affleck's.

I'm curious to see how Bruce Wayne would handle being a feudal noble/king, especially somewhere as corrupt as King's Landing. I actually think he'd be pretty good at it, though being cut off from Gotham, and his crusade to save it, would be a heavy blow. And if its a version with a no killing rule, that'll make things harder for him in a setting where the norm is for nobles to fight on the front lines.

That, and... despite my wariness of shipping fics, I find myself seriously curious how Cersei Lannister married to the Goddamn Batman would turn out.

Note, I'm not saying it would be a good relationship... though the bar is seriously low when it comes to healthy relationships. For both of them. :D
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Another Batman idea, which the Batman discussion thread reminded me of:

A DC/Justice League fanfic set in the universe of the Nolan Batman films. Basically, what might have happened if they'd gone with the idea of using the Nolan films as the basis for the DC Cinematic Universe rather than starting from scratch.

It would likely feature Bruce Wayne not in the Batman role, but as a behind-the-scenes mastermind of the Justice League, after Superman tracks him and Selina down in retirement.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

I always wanted to have a war story set in the Star Wars universe. Before you ask 'isn't it already a war story' no! Star Wars is not a war story, its an adventure.

A real war story is, in the words of Erich Maria Remarque..."neither an accusation nor a confession, and least of all an adventure, for death is not an adventure to those who stand face to face with it"

In a war story there are no heroes, no villains, only soldiers. There is no victory only survival. In most war stories the real enemy is not the 'other side' it is the war itself and that is something i would love see in Rebels or Clone Wars.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

I would dispute the "no heroes or villains" part.

No one in war is pure, maybe, but people are certainly capable of acts of heroism. To ignore that is to denigrate them.

Their are also absolutely villains. To take an obvious example: WWII is a case where I would definitely dispute "their were no villains."

That said, your idea could be good, though it would clash rather painfully with the tone of most of the franchise, and make the light-hearted adventure style of the other films seem that much more absurd in contrast.

I feel like it could slip too easily into "grimdark for the sake of grimdark" though, if not done well. But that's true of a lot of things.
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

Idea for a Star Wars/Transformers crossover fic:

The PT battledroids are based on Waspinator, hence their use as comic relief in PT works and why the universe hates them so much.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Heh. Nobody likes the poor battle droids (well, Chuck seems to maybe have a bit of a soft spot for them, based on some of the Clone Wars reviews ;) ).

Some more crossover ideas, though you could also categorize these as pure Star Trek fics:

Now, as much as people criticize the holodeck episodes at times, they do provide a convenient mechanism for having Star Trek cross over with any number of franchises, without having to worry about merging/connecting different universes.

The problem is, how do you make the stakes feel real if we know that the characters on one side of the crossover are just a really fancy computer game? Preferably without resorting to yet another holodeck malfunction, because at some point you wonder how the damn death traps are still legal to operate.

I had a couple of ideas in this vein, though (of course, you could use any Star Trek series crossed with almost any other setting, with some variations resulting, but these are just the two that seemed most compelling to me):

1. Star Trek Voyager/Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

One of the characters tries out/creates a Buffy holodeck program. Could be Tom Paris, with his fetish for 20th. Century pop-culture. ;) Or maybe Samantha or Naomi Wildman, since we know that little Naomi enjoys playing magical fantasy holodeck programs, and "teen girl superheroes" might appeal to her once she's a bit older- I can particularly see someone with a scientific bent like she seems to have identifying/bonding with Willow or Fred.

The thing is, for (insert reasons), we get a situation like the Irish stereotype town or Moriarty, where the holograms become self-aware people. And here's where I'd pull a twist on the usual holodeck story. Rather than it being from the point of view of the Star Trek characters, at least initially, it would be from the POV of the Buffy characters.

If its Tom's program, it would start out with Buffy and company meeting Tom, the new bartender at the Bronze or something. If Naomi, then she's a fellow student at Sunnydale. Or, if still younger, a friend/classmate's of Dawn's. Something would seem off about Naomi, let's say, eventually he'd get caught up in some of their adventures. Maybe she even gets "killed" and is back right as rain the next evening. Buffy investigates and follows her into an ally. Cue Buffy watching as Naomi says "computer, show me the door", or whatever, and steps out of the ally into another world.

If it was written properly, most of the audience (unless they're enough of a Voyager fan to know who Naomi Wildman is) won't have figured it out yet. Even better if I never use Naomi's last name.

I'm not sure where things would go from their. But you can explore all sorts of interesting implications of finding out that one's whole reality is just a game for more powerful beings, that your memories don't exist, etc. Like when Buffy found out that Dawn was really made by monks out of magic energy, and all of her memories of Dawn before a few months back were fake. Only more so.

I can imagine the anger, as well, at finding out that every horrible thing you remember happening to you is a game for someone (albeit someone who had no idea that you were or would ever become an actual person). I could see Buffy, especially early Buffy, trying to quit, because she doesn't really want to be a Slayer, and it doesn't actually matter now, does it? Later Buffy would probably just have a flat-out existential crisis, I expect.

And then ethical questions like "Do we try to reprogram the program so that, say, vampires don't exist(especially once Willow inevitably figures out how to hack the holodeck, probably with the help of magic)? Or is it wrong to make changes that will erase/effect other peoples' reality, without discussing it with them? Do we try to leave the holodeck via mobile emitters, or stay in our familiar world, which at least seems real to us?

Matrix references probably inevitable, since this is a show about a pop culture-savvy late '90s/early '00s American teen.

I can also see some interesting interactions between Seven and Angel/Spike, given the parallels between being assimilated into the Borg Collective and vampirism.

For the other one...

Star Trek: TNG meets Game of Thrones.

Mostly because I want to see the clash between Picard's/the Federation's idealism and Worf's honour, and some of the more... unpleasant aspects of GoT. I've said it before and I'll say it again: contrast is at the heart of both drama and comedy, and you can get a lot of mileage out of crossing over a light, fluffy series with a dark one, as long as you don't let one style dominate the other too much.

In particular, I want to see Littlefinger get the Picard Speech, full spread, maximum firepower. :D He wouldn't listen, of course, but it would still be nice to hear Picard tear him a rhetorical new one (I usually dislike character-bashing in fics, but I make no apologies for my deep loathing of Littledick).

Hmm, question: would the Prime Directive apply to pre-warp sentient holograms? Presumably not, given the Irish town situation?

I wonder how compatible Ned and Worf's concepts of honour would be as well, or if they'd clash in that way that very religious people of widely differing sects tend to.

To my mind, that's how to do a good holodeck story: don't make it about "Oh no, the holodeck is broken again." Make it about the character interactions and ethical implications.

Edit: Of course, using holodecks for the basis of a crossover is nothing terribly new. I've seen it done before (with Harry Potter, for one). Though I don't recall personally seeing either of these crossovers done previously.

Also, I think I'd do the Voyager one post-series, maybe. Lets me have an older Naomi, and explore what happened post-series in the background, as well.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Another one that just occurred to me, expanding on my Nolanverse Batman continuation idea:

Retired Batman and Selina meet up with retired Craig Bond and Madeline. Not sure where I'd go with this- its just interesting to think of two retired action heroes and their love interests meeting up. Maybe swapping stories (once they figure out each others' identities). Maybe teaming up for a brief coming out of retirement, if circumstances warrant it. And I could see Nolan/Bale Batman and Craig Bond being in the same world pretty easily.

Hmm, now I've got this funny image of a club/support group for retired action heroes. :D

Of course, I expect Craig Bond's retirement to be rendered moot pretty quickly now that they've confirmed Craig's coming back after all. Probably by having Madeline stuffed in the fridge. Damn it. I really wish he'd just ridden off into the metaphorical Sunset at the end of Spectre, since it felt to me like a conclusion to his story.

Edit: Another one I'll just edit in to avoid triple-posting- a Big Bang Theory fic (yes, another one) where one or more of the male characters (likely Howard) loses their job and reputation/gets sued after multiple women come forward accusing him of sexual harassment/groping. Which, frankly, early-series Howard is canonically guilty of, on both counts (though he's certainly not the only guilty party on the show- I enjoy it at times, but I can't deny it derives a lot of its humour from sexism, though it goes back and forth on weather it portrays said sexism in a positive light).

Obviously, it would be a deconstruction of the series, though not one I'd feel up to writing myself.

But this does tend to be my approach to comedy series in fan fic- I am not much of a comedy writer, so I'll tend to take their comedic absurdity and play it straight, because that's really the only approach I can take to the subject matter.
Archanubis
Officer

Post by Archanubis »

I've had an Infinite Stratos vs. Zoids fic banging around my head for awhile. It's really annoying, I want to get to that Allosaurus in the Wild West story I've been trying to put together. (And no, not a rehash of Gwangi) :P
The Romulan Republic
Captain

I was just thinking last night about how this board needs more dinosaurs. :D