A Positive Look At: Star Trek Lower Decks

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Sir Will
Officer

Re: A Positive Look At: Star Trek Lower Decks

Post by Sir Will »

Deledrius wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:02 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:36 am Woo that was goo-WAIT THE seASON IS OVER! NOOOOO! T_T
Yeah, quite unfortunate. Both seasons so far seem to demonstrate an ability to write well... but only for the final two episodes of each season. I wish I could be confident that S3 will start out stronger, but the way S2 began by backpedaling the improvements of S1's ending, it's hard to say if this time it will stick. I will look forward to seeing a better S3. :)
Boimler was always going to have to return. I suppose the demotion was a little mean but otherwise, this season was fantastic. The first episode was decent but the rest was such gold.
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:43 pm Part of the reason for the backtracking seems to be the fact that they don't want to have the characters stop being Ensigns because, well, it's about Lower Decks.

The problem being they're approaching the position of that being Harry Kim levels of ridiculous.
Well it's only been 2 years. Tendi was new and Mariner wanted to be there. I think they could bump them up one level and still have the premise work.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Sir Will wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:34 am Boimler was always going to have to return. I suppose the demotion was a little mean but otherwise, this season was fantastic. The first episode was decent but the rest was such gold.
Sure, but I don't mean Boimler coming back, I meant the improvements in the writing and characterizations that got backpedaled. I'm used to the status quo being restored in Trek.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Deledrius wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:34 pm
Sir Will wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:34 am Boimler was always going to have to return. I suppose the demotion was a little mean but otherwise, this season was fantastic. The first episode was decent but the rest was such gold.
Sure, but I don't mean Boimler coming back, I meant the improvements in the writing and characterizations that got backpedaled. I'm used to the status quo being restored in Trek.
Well you're just wrong about that.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Rewatching season one and I JUST noticed a line of dialogue I sort of ignored the first time.

Why does Mariner have a tribble for "personal use"? WHAT IS SHE DOING WITH THAT TRIBBLE?!
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:02 am Rewatching season one and I JUST noticed a line of dialogue I sort of ignored the first time.

Why does Mariner have a tribble for "personal use"? WHAT IS SHE DOING WITH THAT TRIBBLE?!
They make great cleaning supplies!