VOY: Lineage

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: VOY: Lineage

Post by McAvoy »

Yeah. Considering what we have seen of Trek medical tech, altering someone's eye color would be child's play. Crusher would just zoom some doohicky over the eyes and boom now you got green eyes.

Hell changing the sex of a person would be like an afternoon appointment. Let along just cosmetic enhancements. Want big boobs? Zap. Want a penis you can throw over your shoulder? Zap.
I got nothing to say here.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:41 am Hell changing the sex of a person would be like an afternoon appointment. Let along just cosmetic enhancements. Want big boobs? Zap. Want a penis you can throw over your shoulder? Zap.
The only supporting evidence of that is Profit and Lace and that's very much best forgotten!
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Riedquat wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:04 am
McAvoy wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:41 am Hell changing the sex of a person would be like an afternoon appointment. Let along just cosmetic enhancements. Want big boobs? Zap. Want a penis you can throw over your shoulder? Zap.
The only supporting evidence of that is Profit and Lace and that's very much best forgotten!
Definitely.

You know there should be a website that lists from each episode what Star Trek medicine can and cannot do. Sounds like a Bernd Schneider thing.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Riedquat wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:04 am The only supporting evidence of that is Profit and Lace and that's very much best forgotten!
Thankfully there's many an episode where people get disguised as aliens to point to as evidence of what they can pull off without having to refer to the second worst ep of DS9.
MightyDavidson
Officer

Post by MightyDavidson »

stryke wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:47 pm
Riedquat wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:04 am The only supporting evidence of that is Profit and Lace and that's very much best forgotten!
Thankfully there's many an episode where people get disguised as aliens to point to as evidence of what they can pull off without having to refer to the second worst ep of DS9.
The episode where Picard and Data were made to look like Romulans, so they could infiltrate the Romulan homeworld in search of Spock comes immediately to mind.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

MightyDavidson wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:40 pm The episode where Picard and Data were made to look like Romulans, so they could infiltrate the Romulan homeworld in search of Spock comes immediately to mind.
And the time Troi was made into a Romulan. And the time Riker was infiltrating that one planet and then captured (though that was just a small nose bit.) Or when Neelix became a Ferengi. And when they made Jadzia genetically compatible with Worf so a Trill and a Klingon could have a kid. And whenever they reverse what the Borg did to someone.

Plus they have tech to near instantly heal minor cuts without scars. Cosmetic surgery is super simple procedure by then.

Even as far back as ToS you had a Klingon disguising themself as a human to the point only a tribble could detect it. And Discovery had a Klingon crushed and broken until he passed as fully human.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:41 am Yeah. Considering what we have seen of Trek medical tech, altering someone's eye color would be child's play. Crusher would just zoom some doohicky over the eyes and boom now you got green eyes.

Hell changing the sex of a person would be like an afternoon appointment. Let along just cosmetic enhancements. Want big boobs? Zap. Want a penis you can throw over your shoulder? Zap.
Am I the only one who would love to see a plastic-surgery obsessed character in Trek? Like, one episode they are a man, next they are are woman, next they are black, next they are fat, next they are Vulcan. It would mean hiring ten actors to play one character so its probably one for ''Lower Decks'' but still, it would demonstrate the Roddenberry ideal of what you look like no longer mattering better than any other example. You can be one sex today, one race tomorrow, a different species the next and NO ONE cares. No one comments. Its just what you are doing that day.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:53 amAnd the time Riker was infiltrating that one planet and then captured (though that was just a small nose bit.)
I'd actually consider that episode as a mild subversion, because Riker's cosmetic adjustments aren't passing actual scrutiny. Scrutiny which should be standard in many other environments.
clearspira wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:07 amAm I the only one who would love to see a plastic-surgery obsessed character in Trek? Like, one episode they are a man, next they are are woman, next they are black, next they are fat, next they are Vulcan. It would mean hiring ten actors to play one character so its probably one for ''Lower Decks'' but still, it would demonstrate the Roddenberry ideal of what you look like no longer mattering better than any other example. You can be one sex today, one race tomorrow, a different species the next and NO ONE cares. No one comments. Its just what you are doing that day.
Great idea. I'd very much argue that someone would and actually should comment and care for the simple reason of ship security and the impossibility of building stable relations.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

MightyDavidson wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:40 pm
stryke wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:47 pm
The episode where Picard and Data were made to look like Romulans, so they could infiltrate the Romulan homeworld in search of Spock comes immediately to mind.
Or even TOS: The Enterprise Incident in which Kirk successfully passes as a Romulan.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:07 am
McAvoy wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:41 am Yeah. Considering what we have seen of Trek medical tech, altering someone's eye color would be child's play. Crusher would just zoom some doohicky over the eyes and boom now you got green eyes.

Am I the only one who would love to see a plastic-surgery obsessed character in Trek? Like, one episode they are a man, next they are are woman, next they are black, next they are fat, next they are Vulcan. It would mean hiring ten actors to play one character so its probably one for ''Lower Decks'' but still, it would demonstrate the Roddenberry ideal of what you look like no longer mattering better than any other example. You can be one sex today, one race tomorrow, a different species the next and NO ONE cares. No one comments. Its just what you are doing that day.
If I recall, I think today there is a limit of plastic surgery doctors will perform. Not a legal one, or consistent. More of the doctors recognizing a mental disorder, addiction.