"Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows"

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: "Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows"

Post by Madner Kami »

I'll just quote what the british NHS has to say on that matter:
Who can use the combined pill

If there are no medical reasons why you cannot take the pill, and you do not smoke, you can take the pill until your menopause. However, the pill is not suitable for everyone. To find out whether the pill is right for you, talk to a GP, nurse or pharmacist.

The pill may not be right for you if you:
  • are pregnant
  • smoke and are 35 or older
  • stopped smoking less than a year ago and are 35 or older
  • are very overweight (author's note: This implies that any form of overweight or even underweight will have an effect on the effectiveness, which should be obvious, given it's a "one-size-fits-all" hormonal medication, which has had an increasingly lowered dosage due to medical experience with widespread troubles since inception.)
  • take certain medicines (author's note: Almost everyone is on some form of medication)

The pill may also not be right for you if you have (or have had):
  • blood clots in a vein, for example in your leg or lungs
  • stroke or any other disease that narrows the arteries
  • anyone in your close family having a blood clot under the age of 45
  • a heart abnormality or heart disease, including high blood pressure (author's note: Which is a surprising amount of people these days)
  • severe migraines, especially with aura (warning symptoms) (author's note: On average, 1 in 7 people have regular periods of migraine worldwide)
  • breast cancer (author's note: Any horomonal medication has the tendency to increase the chance for aquiring various forms of cancer, which is rather obvious given it's messing with the body chemistry)
  • disease of the gallbladder or liver
  • diabetes with complications or diabetes for the past 20 years (author's note: About 10% of the western population has a form of diagnosed diabetes these days. Various studies imply it may be as high as 20-30%, if you count the undiagnosed people in.)
The pill may be between 96 to 99% secure, if taken correctly, but that doesn't mean it applies to everyone equally or even that everyone can take it in the first place.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I don't really understand how Roe Vs Wade holds a principally mannered defense of abortions much past precedence of a contextual event. I'm not the most familiar with the historical circumstance, but I'd opt more for a policy of more reduction that surfaces our liberty values to a more modern age.

As far as the baby and life is concerned, consciousness is developed and not really granted to us. It's more compounded by our experiences and routine familiarizations. There's a bit you can say about how serious of a decision an abortion can be on a personal level, and we do have laws that distinct adults from minors for matters of responsible self judgement; though forcing someone to go through with having a child is more of an infringement on rights than neglecting to protect someone's own self interest.
..What mirror universe?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:04 pm[...] but I'd opt more for a policy of more reduction that surfaces our liberty values to a more modern age.

[...]
Um, what?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:55 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:04 pm[...] but I'd opt more for a policy of more reduction that surfaces our liberty values to a more modern age.

[...]
Um, what?
Something that fits more publicly oriented formulation of policy rather than for individual rights.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Draco Dracul wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:52 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:56 am
Draco Dracul wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:52 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:43 am Birth control bans. Same-sex marriage bans. Erosion of various personal freedoms and human rights under the law.
I expect that they'll overturn brown v. Board.
That I doubt. My interracial marriage thing was a joke. I highly doubt the Supreme Court will go that far.
Then you haven't been paying attention.

My fucking senator is calling for Brown v. Board, you know because anti-abortion was slapped together as a key talking point when de jure segregation had become too unpopular:
https://mobile.twitter.com/NewsWire_US/ ... ttcTg&s=19
My joke is because one of Supreme Court Justices who voted to repeal Roe is a black man in an interracial marriage. Clerence Thomas.

He is not going to vote against himself. Assuming they have a good marriage.
I got nothing to say here.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

McAvoy wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:50 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:43 am Birth control bans. Same-sex marriage bans. Erosion of various personal freedoms and human rights under the law.
That I doubt. My interracial marriage thing was a joke. I highly doubt the Supreme Court will go that far.

My fucking senator is calling for Brown v. Board, you know because anti-abortion was slapped together as a key talking point when de jure segregation had become too unpopular:
My joke is because one of Supreme Court Justices who voted to repeal Roe is a black man in an interracial marriage. Clerence Thomas.

Thomas has a long history of stripping civil rights from black people. There is no reason why this would be any different.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Draco Dracul wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:53 am
McAvoy wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:50 am

Thomas has a long history of stripping civil rights from black people. There is no reason why this would be any different.
He is in a interracial marriage. Do you really think he would ban interracial marriage when he is in one himself?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Depends on if he likes his wife or not. Or maybe he thinks, he can be an exception. Wouldn't be the first time that black people are "whiter" than the whites in this context.
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:17 am Depends on if he likes his wife or not. Or maybe he thinks, he can be an exception. Wouldn't be the first time that black people are "whiter" than the whites in this context.
Like I said depends on the marriage is. I doubt he will think he is the exception.

Anyway I seriously doubt Brown will be overturned. Gay marriage? Yes.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

clearspira wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:32 am In an era of 99% effective contraception I do not think that there is an excuse for most abortions. Just my opinion.
Yeah, well half of all abortions in the United States were from people who attempted to use some kind of contraception.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/be ... -obsolete/
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu