Problem with Kids Media

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Problem with Kids Media

Post by hammerofglass »

Haven't seen SU, but actually did see the first few seasons of FiM so that I can comment on

Gilda didn't seriously hurt anyone, she was just kind of an asshole. She grew as a person, stopped acting that way, and they became friends again. That doesn't invalidate anything, cutting her off when she was acting the way she had been was still the right decision. Hell I have good friends IRL where that's happened, I think most people do.

What would you rather Dash do, hold a petty childhood grudge against someone who was now a perfectly decent person for the rest of their lives?
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:24 am Haven't seen SU, but actually did see the first few seasons of FiM so that I can comment on

Gilda didn't seriously hurt anyone, she was just kind of an asshole. She grew as a person, stopped acting that way, and they became friends again. That doesn't invalidate anything, cutting her off when she was acting the way she had been was still the right decision. Hell I have good friends IRL where that's happened, I think most people do.

What would you rather Dash do, hold a petty childhood grudge against someone who was now a perfectly decent person for the rest of their lives?
Or, have Gilda never change. Because the lesson wasn't to cut off toxic people till they change, just cut them off, period because they won't change. Lauren Faust explicitly compared Gilda to an abusive spouse.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

She could have change their mind, not all of us have rigid unflappable dogmatic view of the world like you or Rorchach.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:26 pm She could have change their mind, not all of us have rigid unflappable dogmatic view of the world like you or Rorchach.
Just worried kids won't get the nuance that we, as adults can get.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

No me and Hammerofglass are adults, you never mature past twelve.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

And another thing is that they try to have their cake and eat it too. They show both a redeemed villain and one who is just defeated but they focus on the redeemed villain, the unredeemed villain is an afterthought.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" - Author unknown, often attributed to Lincoln.

The program is titled Friendship is Magic. It does what it says on the tin.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

hammerofglass wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:45 am "Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" - Author unknown, often attributed to Lincoln.

The program is titled Friendship is Magic. It does what it says on the tin.
Well, Sombra was the only villain in an episode and he was outright killed. But even that gets ignored by adult fans, so, it probably won't stick with kids, either.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

hammerofglass wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:27 pm I mean, The Bad Guys is made for teenagers and adults who already understand moral complexity and the storytelling tropes it's playing with. MLP is presenting Entry Level Conflict Resolution to actual kindergartners. Walk before you run and all that.
Also, The Bad Guys is PG, which nowadays, is functionally indistinguishable to a G rated movie, which is what MLP is the TV equivalent to.

I just don't get why shows that I grew up with, both being made in my life time and stuff made long before but was still airing in syndication, had actual consequences for wrong doing, even when the protagonist does it but literally no tv series today does it. Are cartoon writers all soccer moms/dads, now?
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

Because not everything is as black and white as some people think which is what the current cartoons today are trying to say.