The Orville

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Re: The Orville

Post by Steve »

While the paraphrasing of Q's speech from "Tapestry" is good, I'm not sure you can say Orville "plays it safe" either, although it is clearly going for more of an episodic nature than arcs.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Paul Walker
Officer

Post by Paul Walker »

Steve wrote:While the paraphrasing of Q's speech from "Tapestry" is good, I'm not sure you can say Orville "plays it safe" either, although it is clearly going for more of an episodic nature than arcs.
That's fair. But compared to what Discovery is trying (as a spiritual successor to DS9), Orville does feel like it is taking the safer approach.
"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

The Orville is using an Original series approach to story in that it doesn't want to be pegged down as just one thing. The episodes can be different things, much more Twilight Zone by way of The Next Generation with a lighter sci-fi tone.
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

There does seem to be episode to episode character development. We see that there are still problems in Bortus' house that seem to have been growing since the third episode. But the main plot of each episode is still it's own thing.

So far, my favorite episodes are Krill and Majority Rule.
Morgaine
Officer

Post by Morgaine »

Paul Walker wrote:
Steve wrote:While the paraphrasing of Q's speech from "Tapestry" is good, I'm not sure you can say Orville "plays it safe" either, although it is clearly going for more of an episodic nature than arcs.
That's fair. But compared to what Discovery is trying (as a spiritual successor to DS9), Orville does feel like it is taking the safer approach.
DS9? Hardly. DS9 never bogged itself this much with arc stories even in the final season, it left some room for a breather here and there.
Discovery apes the arc formula of Battlestar Galactica, Game of Thrones etc without any breakaway from the insipid war arc. Even their version of an anomaly of the week episode just had to be tied down with it.

The Orville is simply more Trek like.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Paul Walker wrote:
Launching the Orville, basically Trek fan fiction with quality writers sounds fairly risky from the get go.
Paul Walker
Officer

Post by Paul Walker »

Morgaine wrote:
Paul Walker wrote:
DS9? Hardly. DS9 never bogged itself this much with arc stories even in the final season, it left some room for a breather here and there.
Discovery apes the arc formula of Battlestar Galactica, Game of Thrones etc without any breakaway from the insipid war arc. Even their version of an anomaly of the week episode just had to be tied down with it.

The Orville is simply more Trek like.
It’s funny you should say that, because if anything I think we’ve seen too little of the war. Yes, almost every episode has linked to it, but it’s been fairly lacking in terms of episode time spent on it. It reminds me of the break down of the peace with the Klingons in series 4 of DS9. It colours a lot of the events, and actions are taken as a result, but we still aren’t seeing huge amounts of the conflict.

If you tune into any Discovery episode, you will know that the Federation is at was with the Klingons. And that’s as it should be: was is a huge event. DS9 didn’t have the same focus on the conflict because they weren’t at war, they just weren’t friends anymore.
"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
Archanubis
Officer

Post by Archanubis »

Paul Walker wrote:If you tune into any Discovery episode, you will know that the Federation is at was with the Klingons. And that’s as it should be: was is a huge event. DS9 didn’t have the same focus on the conflict because they weren’t at war, they just weren’t friends anymore.
DS9 probably didn't focus entirely on the Dominion War (and yes it was a war, not just two neighbors having an argument), because, despite being located on a rather valuable location, the front lines had moved away from the station for the time being. Discovery, on the other hand, is a front-line ship - which is rather stupid, IMHO, considering she's essentially a prototype/test bed and the only one of her kind; DS9 and VOY at least showed that Starfleet built more Defiants. Then again, it's kind of hard to build more ships that have a drive system that requires as many complicated variables as the Discovery apparently does; I dare say that system is bordering on "Awesome, Yet Impractical" territory.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

He wasn't talking about the Dominion War. He was talking about that little divorce that the Federation and the Klingon Empire went through, after the Klingons went batshit crazy and fucked the entire quadrant up, by invading the Cardassian Union.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Archanubis
Officer

Post by Archanubis »

Madner Kami wrote:He wasn't talking about the Dominion War. He was talking about that little divorce that the Federation and the Klingon Empire went through, after the Klingons went batshit crazy and fucked the entire quadrant up, by invading the Cardassian Union.
Which they did tie into a larger part of the Dominion arc (admittedly, before the actual war), so still applies in my book.