Marvel's Broken Timeline

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: Marvel's Broken Timeline

Post by McAvoy »

SpikePrime wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:07 pm
clearspira wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:34 am Magneto. WW2 Holocaust survivor. In 2022 he would have to be knocking on the door of 100 years old.

You cannot keep this guy aging. You could do some hocus pocus and make him immortal like Nick Fury, but that's about it.

And the problem is, I think that the X-Men would be greatly diminished without him as "the Holocaust" is the perfect example of what the X-Men are fighting for. This is what they are trying to prevent happening a second time. That moment in the first film where he flases that serial number on his arm is massively powerful. I think this is actually why X-Men First Class decided to go back in time, solely to protect Magneto from being too old.

I don't know how the MCU is going to get around this as any other massacre just isn't going to have the same audience ressonace. Personally I hope we do get a "past" X-Men as well as a "present" X-Men so we don't miss out on some great stories.
With mutants like Magneto, you can easily get around his age disparity. You could have some characters who are literally immortal, or who age slowly. Captain America has been established as ageing very slowly thanks to his super-soldier serum. In the animated series X-Men: Evolution, Magneto uses tech to absorb youth from others to sustain himself. So while characters like Tony Stark and Peter Parker may age naturally as their appeal is a degree of relatability, other more icon-driven characters needn't move on so fast.

Note another response of mine for how I'd keep series' going featuring the iconic heroes in their prime as separate mini-series to fix the other issues.
Easily have Magneto aging normally, then finds a mutant that restores his youth or his prime. Fountain of Youth or something. Have it explained the mutant loses part of his or her life every time they do it or something.

However then you need to explain Professor X too. They are similar age.
I got nothing to say here.
Zargon
Officer

Post by Zargon »

1. It happened roughly 2000 or so. Marvel did a vague one year equals three Marvel years. That figures each comic book to tell roughly a week of time. So 1970 to 2000, 30 years rel time is 12 years marvel time. So this works perfect for Spider man, high school-->collage-->research, plus getting married. Reed and Sue have Franklin who is stuck a four a bit, but maybe makes it to eight or so.

Same way most New Mutants and Kitty Pride go from 12-15 ish to 17-19 ish.

But too much more then that would change the characters, so they just stopped.

2.Maybe....but it would change the characters a lot.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:20 am
clearspira wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:34 am Magneto. WW2 Holocaust survivor. In 2022 he would have to be knocking on the door of 100 years old.

You cannot keep this guy aging. You could do some hocus pocus and make him immortal like Nick Fury, but that's about it.

And the problem is, I think that the X-Men would be greatly diminished without him as "the Holocaust" is the perfect example of what the X-Men are fighting for. This is what they are trying to prevent happening a second time. That moment in the first film where he flases that serial number on his arm is massively powerful. I think this is actually why X-Men First Class decided to go back in time, solely to protect Magneto from being too old.

I don't know how the MCU is going to get around this as any other massacre just isn't going to have the same audience ressonace. Personally I hope we do get a "past" X-Men as well as a "present" X-Men so we don't miss out on some great stories.
With mutants like Magneto, you can easily get around his age disparity. You could have some characters who are literally immortal, or who age slowly. Captain America has been established as ageing very slowly thanks to his super-soldier serum. In the animated series X-Men: Evolution, Magneto uses tech to absorb youth from others to sustain himself. So while characters like Tony Stark and Peter Parker may age naturally as their appeal is a degree of relatability, other more icon-driven characters needn't move on so fast.

Note another response of mine for how I'd keep series' going featuring the iconic heroes in their prime as separate mini-series to fix the other issues.
Easily have Magneto aging normally, then finds a mutant that restores his youth or his prime. Fountain of Youth or something. Have it explained the mutant loses part of his or her life every time they do it or something.

I thought that was actually addressed in the comics. Magneto lost a fight and was de-aged to an infant to contain him. He was then aged back up to his prime with all his memories intact. But effectively much younger physically.
Professor X has had his body restored so he could be a proper consort to his alien empress. Though I think they keep waffling on him in or out of the chair.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Nealithi wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:19 am
McAvoy wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:20 am

I thought that was actually addressed in the comics. Magneto lost a fight and was de-aged to an infant to contain him. He was then aged back up to his prime with all his memories intact. But effectively much younger physically.
Professor X has had his body restored so he could be a proper consort to his alien empress. Though I think they keep waffling on him in or out of the chair.
Yes. I am just thinking for the MCU. Gotta show something onscreen on how a Holocaust survivor who might be pushing 90 now would a threat to anyone.

Actually I got a better one for the MCU. We got the Multiverse. Bring the X-Men and the mutants from the 60's from another universe. Now you got a late 30 something Professor X and Magneto.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:22 am
Yes. I am just thinking for the MCU. Gotta show something onscreen on how a Holocaust survivor who might be pushing 90 now would a threat to anyone.

Actually I got a better one for the MCU. We got the Multiverse. Bring the X-Men and the mutants from the 60's from another universe. Now you got a late 30 something Professor X and Magneto.
One bit on this is they will need to address the culture shock. 1962 person in 2022, cars, computers, fashion, smart phones that have cameras everywhere. And can someone address sticker shock? Like they go buy a Snickers and instead of a quarter it is a buck something now.

I can even hear Magneto giving a Khan like line. Noting how technology has improved, but people are as bad as they ever were.

This could be a great idea and one they didn't touch on much with Captain America.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Nealithi wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:01 am

One bit on this is they will need to address the culture shock. 1962 person in 2022, cars, computers, fashion, smart phones that have cameras everywhere. And can someone address sticker shock? Like they go buy a Snickers and instead of a quarter it is a buck something now.

I can even hear Magneto giving a Khan like line. Noting how technology has improved, but people are as bad as they ever were.

This could be a great idea and one they didn't touch on much with Captain America.
Not only that but if their from another universe would they even have the capital to have a new car much less the x mansion and the super tech they like.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

How about a merging of universes?

That could be a easy way of getting them here.

The big thing is getting the anti-mutsnt sentiment with the public. Let's be honest. You need that for the Prof X versus Magneto dynamic to work. It's not going to work with the current MCU as they seem to be accepting of super powered beings.

Unless you play the secret society aspect of it hard. As in mutants are in plain site and no one knows.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

McAvoy wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:16 am

The big thing is getting the anti-mutsnt sentiment with the public. Let's be honest. You need that for the Prof X versus Magneto dynamic to work. It's not going to work with the current MCU as they seem to be accepting of super powered beings.

Unless you play the secret society aspect of it hard. As in mutants are in plain site and no one knows.
I think merging the universe would end up being the same problem DC comics keep throwing itself in ever few years. Plus they already have the ground work laid out with Wanda vision, plus the MCU is currently fool of gadget user like Hawkeye and iron man, people who experience freak accidents spiderman and hulk, science experiment that is hard to replicate captain America or aliens like Thor and the new Asgardians. Meanwhile mutants are something new that they never fully understand and the unknown scare people.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:26 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:16 am

I think merging the universe would end up being the same problem DC comics keep throwing itself in ever few years. Plus they already have the ground work laid out with Wanda vision, plus the MCU is currently fool of gadget user like Hawkeye and iron man, people who experience freak accidents spiderman and hulk, science experiment that is hard to replicate captain America or aliens like Thor and the new Asgardians. Meanwhile mutants are something new that they never fully understand and the unknown scare people.
Merging universes works because of the established multiverse going on with Doctor Strange, Spiderman and Loki.

Now you introduce something that would involve merging another universe with another. Now I am not saying MCU should merge Fox X-Men. I am saying MCU can create their own X-Men in another universe and have it merge with the main MCU universe.

Keeping it in the main MCU universe just doesn't work. You need the mutant outrage. You need that allegory of minority discrimination. You need Magneto's motivation due to the Holocaust. You need Professor X being part of Magneto's evolution into being a Pro-Mutant.

You really can't substitute Magneto's experience in the Holocaust. Because nothing can compare to that since then.

Which is why my idea of that happening in another universe and somehow bringing it into MCU may work. Anyone who watches Marvel movies most likely has seen the X-men movies. Maybe not all of them but most of them.

All you gotta do is make a crossover movie involving the new Avengers and the X-men. Call it Avengers Rise of the Mutants or something.

Hell the merging of the two universes would cause a Super duper multi-phasic cosmic wave that creates the Fantastic Four. And perhaps awakens or brings in Galactis.

Hell have Loki accidentally do it. He is in the Time Cops station and he does something like press the big red button that says do not push and two seperate branches of reality slam into each other. He says oops. And now we got X-Men in the MCU.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I still think just having x men being the mcu just in extremely small numbers would do.