Star Trek: Prodigy

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Prodigy

Post by Durandal_1707 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:06 am
m4a2000 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:22 am
Which sucks because these kids are trying to do/be good so they can join Starfleet.

Also, we have another 'bad AI' for the technovirus. Anyone else getting tired of this between all the other shows? I just want a friendly AI buddy!
*cough* Holo Janeway *cough*
And since they said "all the shows," Zora from Discovery comes to mind, and then of course the whole first season of Picard was about friendly AIs and people's prejudices against them.
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

New episode has a huge callback to TOS and a race that calls themselves the "Enderprizians".

I love this show!
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

m4a2000 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:10 am New episode has a huge callback to TOS and a race that calls themselves the "Enderprizians".

I love this show!
That was a genuinely good Star Trek episode, adult or child.
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

The new episode has Okona, minus an eye I wonder why, and ends on a cliffhanger...

Was not expecting that!
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

m4a2000 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:22 am Also, we have another 'bad AI' for the technovirus. Anyone else getting tired of this between all the other shows? I just want a friendly AI buddy!
Not particularly, but then again I'm not exactly enthusiastic about the level of AI and automation we've got now. With what they've got in Trek there shouldn't be anyone on board ships who actually does anything to the running and operation of the ship.

Anyway AI makes a handy villain that doesn't tread on anyone's toes.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

That bothered me with The Orville - the idea that a human pilot's skill should make any difference seems ridiculous. It goes beyond their actively using humans instead of automation; it's using a slow and stupid human to perform functions that the computer could manage faster and ought to manage better.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Frustration wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:57 pm That bothered me with The Orville - the idea that a human pilot's skill should make any difference seems ridiculous. It goes beyond their actively using humans instead of automation; it's using a slow and stupid human to perform functions that the computer could manage faster and ought to manage better.
Well you've never had to plant subspace mines on Cardassian ships in a nebula.
Power laces... alright.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Frustration wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:57 pm That bothered me with The Orville - the idea that a human pilot's skill should make any difference seems ridiculous. It goes beyond their actively using humans instead of automation; it's using a slow and stupid human to perform functions that the computer could manage faster and ought to manage better.
Then repeat to yourself 'It's just a show, I should really just relax.'
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

The shows I like are capable of meeting a higher standard than that. With occasional exceptions.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

There is an constant idea that a human pilot can make better decisions than a computer can. Or off the cuff ones at least. That is a basic premise of a human versus a AI one at least. Doing something that an AI would not have thought of due to some inherit risk or low probability of success sort of thing.

The sort of probability that would think would be in the 0.001% range but yet the human won over the AI.
I got nothing to say here.