Dungeons and Dragons movie

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
hammerofglass
Captain

Dungeons and Dragons movie

Post by hammerofglass »

It's a fun and silly little adventure. Pretty much exactly what the trailers made it look like. It's got the vibe of a good table down, including how there's a distinct difference between how PCs and NPCs talk and behave which was pretty funny. Loved the DMPC Paladin especially.

There's a few little things that work for the movie but are just kind of weird for how much they differ from the game. Like the Druid who can wild shape at will as many times as she wants and has no other magical abilities. I don't imagine non-players would even question it though.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
m4a2000
Officer

Re: Dungeons and Dragons movie

Post by m4a2000 »

If you know D&D it works very well even with the 'rule bending'.

Non-D&D fans can still get into it and that makes it even better.

I play D&D, but don't really get into the lore and world building. I found it good and my mom that knowns nothing of D&D loved it. Worth the watch in my mind.
Last edited by m4a2000 on Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

hammerofglass wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:26 am It's a fun and silly little adventure. Pretty much exactly what the trailers made it look like. It's got the vibe of a good table down, including how there's a distinct difference between how PCs and NPCs talk and behave which was pretty funny. Loved the DMPC Paladin especially.

There's a few little things that work for the movie but are just kind of weird for how much they differ from the game. Like the Druid who can wild shape at will as many times as she wants and has no other magical abilities. I don't imagine non-players would even question it though.
Maybe she has some shapeshifting spells. :)
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:39 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:26 am It's a fun and silly little adventure. Pretty much exactly what the trailers made it look like. It's got the vibe of a good table down, including how there's a distinct difference between how PCs and NPCs talk and behave which was pretty funny. Loved the DMPC Paladin especially.

Maybe she has some shapeshifting spells. :)
She COULD be a max level Circle of the Moon Druid who went all-in on Wildshapes.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Yeah, there are alternate Druids that have only spells or only shapeshifting. And of course DMs can always permit custom classes...
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

One funny thing about the movie, as someone who doesn't play and knows the basics of the game from custom settings, was still hearing a bunch of terminology I recognized because there's so many video games that are just named after cities in the Forgotten Realms.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Going to see the movie with my cousin this Wednesday.
I got nothing to say here.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Another thing I liked: a man and woman (both straight) who live together for years and raise a kid together are allowed to not be romantically interested in each other. Perfectly normal in real life but you almost never see that in movies.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:21 pm Another thing I liked: a man and woman (both straight) who live together for years and raise a kid together are allowed to not be romantically interested in each other. Perfectly normal in real life but you almost never see that in movies.
That is normal in real life?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:33 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:21 pm Another thing I liked: a man and woman (both straight) who live together for years and raise a kid together are allowed to not be romantically interested in each other. Perfectly normal in real life but you almost never see that in movies.
That is normal in real life?
Yes, non-sexual/non-romantic relationships actually exist, despite what Hollywood wants everyone to think.