Dystopian Science Fiction only reinforces the real world Status Quo

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
KuudereKun
Officer

Re: Dystopian Science Fiction only reinforces the real world Status Quo

Post by KuudereKun »

Let's try to get back on Topic a little bit.

Like many of my Essays the body of it is more nuanced then the Title. I do believe it's possible to avoid the issues I'm talking about, but simply saying "the Author intended" or "it's obviously all an allegory" don't cut it. It needs part of the next of the story that returning to what existed before isn't good enough.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:57 pm Let's try to get back on Topic a little bit.

Like many of my Essays the body of it is more nuanced then the Title. I do believe it's possible to avoid the issues I'm talking about, but simply saying "the Author intended" or "it's obviously all an allegory" don't cut it. It needs part of the next of the story that returning to what existed before isn't good enough.
Well you lost any chance of the centrists and moderates reading your story taking your ideas seriously right there.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
KuudereKun
Officer

Post by KuudereKun »

hammerofglass wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:15 pm
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:57 pm Let's try to get back on Topic a little bit.

Well you lost any chance of the centrists and moderates reading your story taking your ideas seriously right there.
Good
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:37 pm

Good
Sociopathic and closed-minded. Cool combo.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Clearspira I don't believe you are qualified to diagnose somebody with sociopathy.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
KuudereKun
Officer

Post by KuudereKun »

clearspira wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:23 pm

Good
Centrists are the most close minded and that's why they aren't worth trying to reach. I went form being a type of Far Right to a type of Far Left, there was no transitional phase of me being a Centrist.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:10 pm
clearspira wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:23 pm

Good
Centrists are the most close minded and that's why they aren't worth trying to reach. I went form being a type of Far Right to a type of Far Left, there was no transitional phase of me being a Centrist.
Huh? What?

Far Left-----Left-----Centre-----Right-----Far Right.

If you are in the Centre you can have views that are either Neutral, Left or Right - as opposed to you, someone who has just confessed to being Far Left. That means that the most your views can ever be are Left. Even when you were Far Right, the most your views could ever be were Right.

How can you possibly defend yourself as being more open minded than someone on the Centre? That makes no sense. And don't try and tell me that the views of a Centrist cannot swing Left or Right when you went the whole way across this chart by your own admission.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:34 pm1) Hiroo Onoda. I've mentioned him before. He is the Japanese soldier who was still fighting WW2 in the 1970s. If he is in any way representative of the Japanese Army then they would not have surrendered anywhere near as easily as the atomic bomb critics claim.

2) I think its very easy eighty years later to judge people who had just fought a war for six years. You are sitting on a perfectly comfortable chair with a coffee in your hand. They had just witnessed sixty million people die. ''They should have done this, they shouldn't have done that.'' I don't care. You weren't there. Your brain is not in that moment. The only people who can truly be retrospective are the men who fought it.
Some minor points:

1:] It should be noted that Hiroo Onoda was considered an eccentric bizarre character by JAPAN when his story came out and the subject of much TV as well as newspaper speculation. He attempted to run as a politician but, unsurprisingly, it turned out he was a fucking nutcase with Far Right politics.

2:] His behavior actually isn't quite as weird as you may think as The KKK and many other partsian groups of defeated countries are known to engage in guerilla warfare well after the fact or plot counter revolutions or resistsnaces. He's just noticeable because he was in the middle of nowhere.

3:] Okinawa's invasion is interesting to talk in light of this because the Japanese government was flooding the island with stories of American atrocities and trying to rig up mass suicides to convince the public to resist to the last man. Stories of mass rapes and executions of children were done. Notably, the public was OUTRAGED when these things DIDN'T happen and much of the populace turned against the government for obvious reasons.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:10 pm
That's because you are an extremist and very clearly neither looking for reconciliation nor moderation. I'm certain you're a fun person to be around, in the kind of wanting to cut your own arm off, just to get away type.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:10 pm Centrists are the most close minded and that's why they aren't worth trying to reach. I went form being a type of Far Right to a type of Far Left, there was no transitional phase of me being a Centrist.
That's only if you believe nuance is a lie. Extremists tend to promise that X group is completely wrong in their policies and if you went entirely with Y, it would be a utopia.

And as much as I hate the GOP and their leadership, is just not true in my country or most others.

Centrism may be an enemy to progress but it's also a bulwark against fascism.