Dystopian Science Fiction only reinforces the real world Status Quo

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Dystopian Science Fiction only reinforces the real world Status Quo

Post by Madner Kami »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:50 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:08 pm
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:23 pm I've clarified my position on Stalin multiple times already but people "all over the political spectrum" keep insisting on misconstruing it.
Has it occured to you, that they may have a point and you have a blind-spot?
No, you don't get to make excuse about simply accusing someone of believing the opposite of what they believe.
So you just can't be wrong, because you can't be wrong. And everybody who pokes holes into your understanding of the world, is. Understood.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
KuudereKun
Officer

Post by KuudereKun »

We're debating the accusation that I am a Tankie, which keep throwing at me even though I'm not even a Marxist.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:42 am As I said in the OP Cyberpunk is stupid to me because it's stupid to think the Capitalists would ever simply get rid of the state, and that is exactly what Robocop is about. I think it makes a fun fictional setting sometimes, I'm a rare person who actually enjoyed Prime Directives, but it's social commentary was always silly.

Animal Farm is predicated on several popular myths about the Russian Revolution, like the idea that Stalin implemented the same Economic Policy Trotsky was going to.

Orwell's being a professional Rat for MI6 should obsoletely discredit anything he has to say about "Failed Revolutions".
You're remembering some video games and not Robocop. The plot of Robocop is a simple real estate scam.

Also, it is more or less a completely accurate depiction of the gentrification of Manhattan. The corporations let the vice and seediness thrive, kicks out everyone poor under the guise of cleaning up the city, and building almost exclusively for the Super Rich. They just didn't need a cyborg, just the corruption of the NYPD.
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:26 pm We're debating the accusation that I am a Tankie, which keep throwing at me even though I'm not even a Marxist.
I happily accept you aren't even if I disagree with your arguments.
KuudereKun
Officer

Post by KuudereKun »

Prime Directive definitely has existing civil government, and Robotcop 2 is explicitly about the take over. I don't separate franchise movies from their Sequels.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:29 pm Prime Directive definitely has existing civil government, and Robotcop 2 is explicitly about the take over. I don't separate franchise movies from their Sequels.
Prime Directive. RoboCable. Horrible acting. What a bad four part mini series. Always wonder about people who fund these things, banks, rich people, studios etc look at these productions and cringe. Like 'WTF did we spend money on?'

The whole Robocop franchise is about a real estate scam with the first one only using it as a relatively minor plot point.
I got nothing to say here.
KuudereKun
Officer

Post by KuudereKun »

Prime Directive was a good show, the original movie was boring.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:13 am Prime Directive was a good show, the original movie was boring.
You're just saying things to be contrarian now.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Prime DIrective was two good shows and then had a mad scientist with a disease that infects computers and people both. Then it was awful.

Also, RoboCable was played by an actor so much better than Murphy's that it really warped the narrative.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:50 pm Prime DIrective was two good shows and then had a mad scientist with a disease that infects computers and people both. Then it was awful.

Also, RoboCable was played by an actor so much better than Murphy's that it really warped the narrative.
And he was short. Way too short for Robocop.

I always kinda felt that a good sequel to Robocop would be introducing more Robocops to the streets. Slain cops taken in like Murphy and made into Robocop RB-17 or something. OCP realizes that cops were not dying quick enough, so they send the to areas to be killed. Crime or setup.

These Robocops start malfunctioning like killing civilians or terrorist actions. Turns out OCP controls the new ones but interferes with the human aspect of the the new Robocops.

Something like that.

Not whatever Prime DIrective was trying to do.
I got nothing to say here.
KuudereKun
Officer

Post by KuudereKun »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:20 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:50 pm Prime DIrective was two good shows and then had a mad scientist with a disease that infects computers and people both. Then it was awful.

And he was short. Way too short for Robocop.

I always kinda felt that a good sequel to Robocop would be introducing more Robocops to the streets. Slain cops taken in like Murphy and made into Robocop RB-17 or something. OCP realizes that cops were not dying quick enough, so they send the to areas to be killed. Crime or setup.

These Robocops start malfunctioning like killing civilians or terrorist actions. Turns out OCP controls the new ones but interferes with the human aspect of the the new Robocops.

Something like that.

Not whatever Prime DIrective was trying to do.
That scenario would present Cops as victims.