Hamas Attacks Israel

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Hamas Attacks Israel

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

So, Israel is attacking refugee camps now. https://www.npr.org/2023/10/31/12097631 ... fugee-camp And we're still probably going to hear more cries of "it's in self defense" than condemnations of the war crimes from our elected officials. This is incredibly evil.

Once again, I have to ask the question that nobody answered. Why are Democrats supporting this? What is their motive? What do they get out of it? I already know why the Republicans are doing it, but the Democrats I don't understand.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Calling the area they bombed a "refugee camp" is, while technically correct, also very manipulative. What is it, when you think about a refugee camp? Something akin like this, right?

Well, that's not what Jalabiya is or was. Jalabiya is a fully fledged district of Gaza City and looks like this:

And while blowing up houses isn't exactly better than blowing up tents, there's something you should know. Have a look at that last picture again. See that big crater in the lower right? There's something curious going on there and I don't mean the people in there. The depth of the crater, it's size and it's shape indicates, that something underneath the street-level imploded and I am not talking about a cellar or sewage canal. I am talking about a proper room, several meters below ground where no room should be, given the absence of a building above ground (even before the bombs hit). It's a mistake to think, that Hamas is hiding in houses. They're hiding beneath. Gaza has an entire hidden underworld and that was the target here. It doesn't excuse the civilian deaths, nor does it remove Israel's culpability in this prolonged conflict, nor Netanyahu's in particular, but it puts things into perspective. A perspective that needs to be looked at. Hamas has a lot more hostages they're hiding behind, than the few they abducted in their terror-raid recently. They've got 2 million...
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Well the best way to deal with a hostage situation is clearly by dumping white phosphorous on where the hostages are.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yeah the distinction between stacked housing units and spread out huts doesn’t quite extinguish the concern.
Power laces... alright.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:07 pmOnce again, I have to ask the question that nobody answered. Why are Democrats supporting this? What is their motive? What do they get out of it? I already know why the Republicans are doing it, but the Democrats I don't understand.
I mean I answered it. The only way to save any lives is to try to convince Israel to dial back.

It's not working but condemning it will do nothing.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:25 am Yeah the distinction between stacked housing units and spread out huts doesn’t quite extinguish the concern.
Israel said the strike on the camp was to eliminate an important Hamas leader, fine, that is a legitimate military strategy except you can do that with one bullet, why do you need an air bomb?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

phantom000 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:44 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:25 am Yeah the distinction between stacked housing units and spread out huts doesn’t quite extinguish the concern.
Israel said the strike on the camp was to eliminate an important Hamas leader, fine, that is a legitimate military strategy except you can do that with one bullet, why do you need an air bomb?
You might want to ready what I wrote above and put two and two together.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Israel is also saying that they gave a stern 2-week warning of precisely the area that needs to be evacuated. Precisely is probably a bit too strong of a word, and that is on me, though does seem consistent with the pursuing discourse.
Power laces... alright.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

And yet another embellished point proclomated is that while Israel is telling people to get out of the way, Hamas is positing themselves behind the citizens.
Power laces... alright.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Madner Kami wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:58 pm
phantom000 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:44 pm
You might want to ready what I wrote above and put two and two together.
Explain it to me like I'm a child, because I'm still not seeing your point.