Lower Decks Season 4

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Lower Decks Season 4

Post by CharlesPhipps »

To be fair, you'll find poor decisions for everyone if you examine their lives in their entirety.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Can I just say, props to Lower Decks for being willing to pay for the First Duty writer's royalties? Nice to know they aren't cheapskates like Voyager.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:32 pm Can I just say, props to Lower Decks for being willing to pay for the First Duty writer's royalties? Nice to know they aren't cheapskates like Voyager.
A couple of episodes compared to 170 episodes.

I suspect if they really wanted Locarno for Voyager the studio lawyers could have been involved in making some sort of one large payment for the character. Either some bean counter did come up with a number and thd studio wasn't willing to pay that or this is one of those stories that got blown out of proportion.

Like the original idea was Locarno and leg work was done and then it was turned down, with this lasting at most a week in the writers room. Locarno idea stuck around let's call it Locarno 2.0, but with a new name bur still with the same character until someone down the road comes up with a better alternative. They didn't. Paris is Locarno 2.0 and even look for someone like Robert Duncan O'Neil but not Robert Duncan O'Neil but in thd end casted Robert Duncan O'Neil. Like not a lot of thought was put into it.

Which I kinda suspect happened with Ensign Ro and Major Kira too but at least they went the extra step and changed Ensign Ro 2.0 into Major Kira.
I got nothing to say here.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:53 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:32 pm Can I just say, props to Lower Decks for being willing to pay for the First Duty writer's royalties? Nice to know they aren't cheapskates like Voyager.

I suspect if they really wanted Locarno for Voyager the studio lawyers could have been involved in making some sort of one large payment for the character. Either some bean counter did come up with a number and thd studio wasn't willing to pay that or this is one of those stories that got blown out of proportion.

Like the original idea was Locarno and leg work was done and then it was turned down, with this lasting at most a week in the writers room. Locarno idea stuck around let's call it Locarno 2.0, but with a new name bur still with the same character until someone down the road comes up with a better alternative. They didn't. Paris is Locarno 2.0 and even look for someone like Robert Duncan O'Neil but not Robert Duncan O'Neil but in thd end casted Robert Duncan O'Neil. Like not a lot of thought was put into it.

Which I kinda suspect happened with Ensign Ro and Major Kira too but at least they went the extra step and changed Ensign Ro 2.0 into Major Kira.
When it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck, there's a rather high chance of it not being a swan. Star Trek, especially under Roddenberry's auspice, is notorious for fleecing writers out of their credit. It's not a far stretch to presume, that Berman as Roddenberry's certified boot-licker erm I mean protegee and effectively sole and designated heir, didn't just keep the good traditions going, especially considering the evidence at hand.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

Looking back at the season I don't have any major issues. Were their problems, yes, but nothing as bad as we've seen in Picard and Discovery. For this current era of Trek it comes in a solid third place.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Yeah but remember Voyager is also the show that gave us offscreen juggling.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Wasn't the intention for Kira to be Ro but the actress didn't want to do it?
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Riedquat wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:36 pm Wasn't the intention for Kira to be Ro but the actress didn't want to do it?
Yeah so it's basically inverse, for DS9 they wanted the same but couldn't get the actress, so had to come up with something similar but different with a new actress, while for Voy they wanted something different, if similar, and ended up going with the same actor in the end anyway playing the different character.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

stryke wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:03 pm
Riedquat wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:36 pm Wasn't the intention for Kira to be Ro but the actress didn't want to do it?
Yeah so it's basically inverse, for DS9 they wanted the same but couldn't get the actress, so had to come up with something similar but different with a new actress, while for Voy they wanted something different, if similar, and ended up going with the same actor in the end anyway playing the different character.
Also they wanted Ensign Ro on VOY but Michelle Forbes didn't want to be on another Star Trek show (again) and they made B'ellana.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Michelle Forbes for some reason just never wanted to be involved in a series. She was good for guest star appearences but never as a full time actor on a series.

I am not that familiar with her work but considering I haven't seen her in other work besides BSG it makes me wonder. Not like she is constantly playing small roles in other movies or TV series either like alot of actors tend to do.

Hell she appeared in an episode of Picard only to be killed off. Wonder if that was her idea.
I got nothing to say here.