Suicide Squad may be a fantastic bomb

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Nobody700
Officer

Re: Suicide Squad may be a fantastic bomb

Post by Nobody700 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:39 am
Nobody700 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:32 pm
BBally81 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:50 pm I recommend people use their money to purchase Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth instead of wasting money on this trash.
Funny, been HEAVILY enjoying the game.
You mean suicide squad or infinite wealth?
Infinite Wealth. It's easily a wonderful sequel to 7, and is showing off the best of the Yakuza franchise in every regard.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I had a dream of a Superman game.

A literal dream.

Ironically, the game was published by Rocksteady and does a lot of Batman beats.

What was the premise?

Superman wakes up in a big crater with a red sun hanging over Metropolis. President Lex Luthor has declared martial law over Metropolis and blamed Superman for turning the Sun red as supervillains are running amuck. There's also a bunch of robots that are enforcing Luthor's martial law and hurting citizens who Superman must rescue. Superman is limited to brawling and jumping for the early part of the game but gradually recovers his powers with EXP and then halfway through the game can get help from John Henry Irons who provides a new suit that allows you to process red sunlight. Then you can fly again but are still limited by the force field around Metropolis put up by Luthor.

Eventually, you discover that the evil Superman is Ultraman from Earth-3 who made a deal with Luthor and is planning on invading Earth with the Crime League. You burst through the force field, fight Ultraman on a taken over Watchtower and save the day!

Then Lex, of course, thanks for saving the planet—getting off scot free as usual.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

It's absolutely hilarious that more people are currently playing fricking Gotham Knights and Midnight Sons than they are Suicide Squad.

And the thing is complaining about killing the Justice League is not really the actual complaint, that's in the title after all and it's certainly not false advertising, it's the setup, how and what happens afterwards is where the game so often cocks up. Literally so in one case.

I thought Skill Up's review handled that discussion well and showed how with some changes to the writing this game's plot at least could maybe have worked.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

stryke wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:38 am It's absolutely hilarious that more people are currently playing fricking Gotham Knights and Midnight Sons than they are Suicide Squad.
Midnight Suns is a dating sim for Marvel comics complete with a superhero Pokemon system.

And you know what.

I AM THERE FOR IT.
And the thing is complaining about killing the Justice League is not really the actual complaint, that's in the title after all and it's certainly not false advertising, it's the setup, how and what happens afterwards is where the game so often cocks up. Literally so in one case.
I mean, it says upfront why a lot of people dont want to buy the game.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

All I am going to say is for some reason Superman looks like Schwarzenegger.
I got nothing to say here.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

What a waste of Kevin Conroy too.

That man is THE Batman imo. Better than any live action portrayal to date. At least it isn't his actual Batman because if it was I would be spitting right now.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:00 am What a waste of Kevin Conroy too.

That man is THE Batman imo. Better than any live action portrayal to date. At least it isn't his actual Batman because if it was I would be spitting right now.
I mean it's supposed to be the canonical Arkham Batman, who is as much Conroy's Batman as the animated one.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:20 am I mean it's supposed to be the canonical Arkham Batman, who is as much Conroy's Batman as the animated one.
I'd say, that in terms of the Conroy Batmans I'd already put the the animated one on a tier above the Arkham one, and that's entirely not at all down to Conroy, but there was some moments of questionable character writing even back in City.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:20 am
clearspira wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:00 am What a waste of Kevin Conroy too.

I mean it's supposed to be the canonical Arkham Batman, who is as much Conroy's Batman as the animated one.
Arkham Batman is not my Conroy, but this backlash does take on a new level for me knowing that. I haven't seen character assassination like this since Luke Skywalker in TLJ.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I mean this sounds largely consistent with AU takes. I don’t get why you’d be offended in that case.
Power laces... alright.