Post your postmortem on Discovery

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: Post your postmortem on Discovery

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:12 am
McAvoy wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:25 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:06 pm So, thinking more about the last season, and I really did like the Breen being a prime antagonist. Though I think someone here asked earlier if it was some sort of reveal, but I thought they showed them with their masks on and off in one of the first episodes?
Well yeah, we saw what's his name's face in episode 1. The reveal was that he was a Breen. So that is what a Breen looks like. Honestly, I never had an idea what I thought a Breen would look like, but I would not have thought they looked like that.

For some reason I thought they would be blue, but that's it.
I wouldn’t really call that a narrative or tropic reveal though.

Either way you are answering my sentiment. Though if you want to discuss it as either a “reveal” or not then that’s fine.

The borg in season 3 of Picard showed up about half way through and had a shock score tune and everything. This is just kind of the first scene that the two characters are in. And it just kind of plays out. We already can tell they are Breen before they take off their helmets.
The Breen were never in the same class as the Boeg though. I mean the villain of all of Trek could be said to be the Borg. Breen are just a mysterious species before this season.

So in this context, the reveal that one of the thieves Discovery is chasing turns out to be Breen, and we have seen him the entire time sits well.

Though IMO I would have added episodes or at least scenes to make the audience care about the thieves. Yeah yeah they were married. But who cares.
I got nothing to say here.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

McAvoy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:53 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:12 am
McAvoy wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:25 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:06 pm So, thinking more about the last season, and I really did like the Breen being a prime antagonist. Though I think someone here asked earlier if it was some sort of reveal, but I thought they showed them with their masks on and off in one of the first episodes?
Well yeah, we saw what's his name's face in episode 1. The reveal was that he was a Breen. So that is what a Breen looks like. Honestly, I never had an idea what I thought a Breen would look like, but I would not have thought they looked like that.

For some reason I thought they would be blue, but that's it.
I wouldn’t really call that a narrative or tropic reveal though.

Either way you are answering my sentiment. Though if you want to discuss it as either a “reveal” or not then that’s fine.

The borg in season 3 of Picard showed up about half way through and had a shock score tune and everything. This is just kind of the first scene that the two characters are in. And it just kind of plays out. We already can tell they are Breen before they take off their helmets.
The Breen were never in the same class as the Boeg though. I mean the villain of all of Trek could be said to be the Borg. Breen are just a mysterious species before this season.

So in this context, the reveal that one of the thieves Discovery is chasing turns out to be Breen, and we have seen him the entire time sits well.

Though IMO I would have added episodes or at least scenes to make the audience care about the thieves. Yeah yeah they were married. But who cares.
I think all we saw them doing was the chase? I'll have to see it again, but I just thought it was a very soft reveal.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

It was a soft reveal. We didn't know the Breen Husband criminal at large was a Breen until later.

I might be wrong though. I have only seen the season once so far and to be honest it might take me years to even consider revisiting Discovery.
Forthecubs4
Redshirt

Post by Forthecubs4 »

i know many people have shared this sentiment but i will repeat it nonetheless. Great cast, effects, sets and production all let down by a crayon eating writing room.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Forthecubs4 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:45 pm i know many people have shared this sentiment but i will repeat it nonetheless. Great cast, effects, sets and production all let down by a crayon eating writing room.
So... General Post-DS9 Star Trek?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:33 am
Forthecubs4 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:45 pm i know many people have shared this sentiment but i will repeat it nonetheless. Great cast, effects, sets and production all let down by a crayon eating writing room.
So... General Post-DS9 Star Trek?
Pretty much. I mean I did think about it for a minute, but yeah. Like Voyager had this great concept and something that would have worked over the seven seasons but they fumbled the ball on it. It's just like many episodes where they had this great idea and fumbles the ball in the episode. So where an episode that had the potential to be a good 8 instead is only a 4 or 5. Bryan Fuller is one of these writers.

Its like they just push these scripts out without polishing or quality control.