Your Headcanons?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
TGLS
Captain

Re: Your Headcanons?

Post by TGLS »

Arkle wrote:Comments in the Endgame topic reminded me of another Trek headcanon I have. By sheer coincidence it turns out that the Marvel Universe has this as canon (at least according to Exiles, which I never read, but I digress), but anyway, my thinking is the reason Time Travel rules seem so inconsistent in the Trek universe is that Time itself is a sentient force, in the Lovecraftian sense. Those times when you can change history but other times where you can't, the stable time loops, the Grandfather paradoxes applying or not applying... It's all Time's whim.

I just woke up so that may not be as coherent in text as it was in my head.
Isn't that just the timey-wimey thing from Dr. Who; on the other hand it really contextualizes Anorax's "Time's angry at me for messing with it."

Random one: Archer only became captain because of tampering in the Temporal Cold War, as did the Romulus Supernova; thus, he is not part of the Prime Timeline and all of Enterprise can be ignored.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
ORCACommander
Officer

Post by ORCACommander »

Homeworld 2 should not exist, there is another of mine. although its not as bad as to what happened to command and conquer after generals
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

TGLS wrote:
Arkle wrote:Comments in the Endgame topic reminded me of another Trek headcanon I have. By sheer coincidence it turns out that the Marvel Universe has this as canon (at least according to Exiles, which I never read, but I digress), but anyway, my thinking is the reason Time Travel rules seem so inconsistent in the Trek universe is that Time itself is a sentient force, in the Lovecraftian sense. Those times when you can change history but other times where you can't, the stable time loops, the Grandfather paradoxes applying or not applying... It's all Time's whim.

I just woke up so that may not be as coherent in text as it was in my head.
Isn't that just the timey-wimey thing from Dr. Who; on the other hand it really contextualizes Anorax's "Time's angry at me for messing with it."

Random one: Archer only became captain because of tampering in the Temporal Cold War, as did the Romulus Supernova; thus, he is not part of the Prime Timeline and all of Enterprise can be ignored.
I tend to think of "Timey-whimey" as pretty much just Moffat's way of saying "Don't think too hard about my continuity errors." :)
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

One of my personal fanons is that the point of divergence for the Abrams Trek films is not when the Nerranda showed up, its at an earlier point because a) the various time travel stories either happen differently, don't happen or entirely different ones happen for the characters in the new timeline which would mean the point of divergence would get pushed further back and b) considering Spock and Nero went into the 'black hole' at the same time and came out decades apart, it's plausible some wreckage or whatever that went in around that time came out even earlier and somehow had an impact on things (or even the Nerranda itself considering it went into a second 'black hole' at the end of the film and thus it's reasonable to assume it got transported through time again).

Another (related) one is that Enterprise is in continuity with the Abrams films but not the original timeline. It helps explain why it doesn't feel like it fits as a prequel to TOS to some and also explains things like the Ferengi and Borg showing up when they shouldn't. Would also explain the discrepancies between "These are the Voyages" and TNG - the Riker and Troi in that episode are the Riker and Troi of the new timeline not the original one.

Non-Trek one, my Batman headcanon is that Batman is mentally ill which is why he decided to fight crime while fursuiting rather than using his vast fortune to out buy the criminals and replace the corrupt officials with chosen officials as an interim until elections can be held so uncorrupt people can take office. It's also my headcanon partly because I'm in the 'Batman is the real personality and Bruce is the mask' camp (similarly for me Clark = the real personality, Superman = the mask). It also explains why he willingly puts kids in life or death situations and continued to do so even after one got killed. Although I haven't been keeping up with current comics so this may be explicit canon in the current reboot.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I don't know if it would qualify as an actual mental illness, but one of Batman's defining characteristics is that he's obsessed- in the end, he is a man who never moved past that night in the alley.
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I don't know if it would qualify as an actual mental illness, but one of Batman's defining characteristics is that he's obsessed- in the end, he is a man who never moved past that night in the alley.
I think I've read somewhere that in a sense he's never really grown up; as in the decision to fight crime by dressing up as a bat and beating it up rather than tackling the causes behind it is a childish reaction to that tragedy. No idea how accurate that is though, but it probably does fit.

It's probably also worth noting that 'mentally ill' is a rather broad description and he probably doesn't have one singular disorder but more likely a number of neuroses and conditions that have a cumulative effect. And actually, come to think of it it's actually probably cannon that he has some form of multiple personality disorder considering he has at least one (Batman of Zhur-en-ar) 'backup' personality that he's purposefully formed in case he needs it. And that actually shows another disorder/neurosis/whatever he has - his paranoia (although on the other hand, I guess it's not actually paranoia considering he does end up actually needing/using those backup identities, plans, etc, so...*shrug* who knows...).
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

Personally, i think Disney should bring back the Trade Federation and make it the Star Wars answer to Hydra. You know 'cut off one head and two shall take its place'?

With the Clone Wars over Palpatine tries to destroy the Federation, he has Nute Gunray assassinated but his successor signs a treaty with the newly established Galactic Empire placing the vast economic resources of the Federation at The Emperor's disposal, or so Palpatine thinks. Over the years the Federation's influence quietly spreads throughout the empire, slowly taking control until their power rivals that of the Emperor. Palpatine gets wise to their plan and has their leaders and agents killed, seizes their resources, breaks up the Federation and finally dissolves the Senate hoping it will be the final blow. The Federation simply goes into hiding, and secretly begins working on a new plan.

They start supplying the Rebels with ships and weapons hoping that they will topple the Empire and establish a New Republice, which they can seize control of from the inside. That would explain why the Rebels went from one little base in the middle of no where to a monstrous battle fleet that could take on the Imperial Navy.

By the time of Episode 7, the Federation has taken over the New Republic, hence why Leia and Ackbar went maverick and had to form their own little 'resistance' to deal with the First Order.
raiken_
Redshirt

Post by raiken_ »

Dînadan wrote:One of my personal fanons is that the point of divergence for the Abrams Trek films is not when the Nerranda showed up, its at an earlier point because a) the various time travel stories either happen differently, don't happen or entirely different ones happen for the characters in the new timeline which would mean the point of divergence would get pushed further back and b) considering Spock and Nero went into the 'black hole' at the same time and came out decades apart, it's plausible some wreckage or whatever that went in around that time came out even earlier and somehow had an impact on things (or even the Nerranda itself considering it went into a second 'black hole' at the end of the film and thus it's reasonable to assume it got transported through time again)
I think the Kelvin "timeline" is a full-on alternate universe and not a split timeline. Right from the earliest seen point of time corruption things already felt too different. Like, I know it would be kinda stupid for a major motion picture today to feature sets that look like they were pulled from a 60's television show, but the controls and design of the ship looked like they were derived from a completely different technological standard. Then there were other things that wouldn't be the result of time mucking at all; like how Ricardo Montalban turned into Benedict Cumberbatch.
Arkle
Officer

Post by Arkle »

raiken_ wrote:
Dînadan wrote:One of my personal fanons is that the point of divergence for the Abrams Trek films is not when the Nerranda showed up, its at an earlier point because a) the various time travel stories either happen differently, don't happen or entirely different ones happen for the characters in the new timeline which would mean the point of divergence would get pushed further back and b) considering Spock and Nero went into the 'black hole' at the same time and came out decades apart, it's plausible some wreckage or whatever that went in around that time came out even earlier and somehow had an impact on things (or even the Nerranda itself considering it went into a second 'black hole' at the end of the film and thus it's reasonable to assume it got transported through time again)
I think the Kelvin "timeline" is a full-on alternate universe and not a split timeline. Right from the earliest seen point of time corruption things already felt too different. Like, I know it would be kinda stupid for a major motion picture today to feature sets that look like they were pulled from a 60's television show, but the controls and design of the ship looked like they were derived from a completely different technological standard. Then there were other things that wouldn't be the result of time mucking at all; like how Ricardo Montalban turned into Benedict Cumberbatch.
This actually reminds me of a theory I had regarding the Mirror Universe from "Mirror, Mirror" and the DS( episodes; it's not a true Alternate Universe, like all the ones Worf kept getting bounced back and forth between in that one Season 7 episode. Rather, it is the main Trek universe, distorted, just underneath (metaphorically speaking, though thanks to Stranger Things I know have something to compare it to; the Upside Down) the one we know. That could at least in part explain why travel bakc and forth between the two is, relatively speaking, easier than other attempts to break into alternate realities.
Incorrect Voyager Quotes: http://incorrectvoyagerquotes.tumblr.com/
My Voyager fic, A Fire of Devotion: http://archiveofourown.org/series/404320
---
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

raiken_ wrote: I think the Kelvin "timeline" is a full-on alternate universe and not a split timeline. Right from the earliest seen point of time corruption things already felt too different. Like, I know it would be kinda stupid for a major motion picture today to feature sets that look like they were pulled from a 60's television show, but the controls and design of the ship looked like they were derived from a completely different technological standard. Then there were other things that wouldn't be the result of time mucking at all; like how Ricardo Montalban turned into Benedict Cumberbatch.
My thoughts exactly. It's notable when looking at say, the architecture of the bridge design and other ship interiors, that there are quite a few design features in common between the Kelvin and the Enterprise, much more strongly than between anything seen in the "prime" universe (not to mention the supposed size of the ships themselves). And then there's the way Nero is able to recognize Enterprise from a distance instantly without any kind of a "huh, that looks a bit different" or anything like that. One might also argue the design of the Narada and Spock's ship represent a radical departure from what's been established as Romulan and Vulcan design, enough so that not even the future parts of that movie could be connected to the "prime" universe.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR