Linkara ATFW's 500th Episode

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
m4a2000
Officer

Re: Linkara ATFW's 500th Episode

Post by m4a2000 »

Did anyone else think 50Sue was just like SFDebris' Janeway?
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

Man DC hates Ronnie Raymond don't they?
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Mad-Man-with-a-Box
Redshirt

Post by Mad-Man-with-a-Box »

m4a2000 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 3:52 am Did anyone else think 50Sue was just like SFDebris' Janeway?
Hmmm, me thinks you're not wrong. Minus the God-Like power, I could see younger Psycho-Janeway acting this way.
All of time and space, everything that ever happened or ever was...where do you want to start? -The Doctor
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 1:08 am I kind of go the other direction with the assimilation stuff.
Brother Eye is insane.
It makes these abominations not because they are effective or efficient.
Just because it is an AI doesn't automatically mean it is efficient or logical.
It is just evil in the way Reavers from Firefly are.
Or that evil computer from "I Have No Mouth, and I must Scream".

I find the image of a woman's face sewn into the chest of a monster screaming to be a horrifying image.
I don't find it silly.
It is fucked up.
It is fucked up in a way that I could see bothering lots of people.
I guess the insanity idea could work, but we generally assume evil machine intelligences to be rational and logical, especially if they reference Hal 9000 a lot, and there wasn't much in the comic to even hint at that theory beyond "This is pretty impractical." Given the ineptitude of the writers in dealing with "how does Black Canary's face on Frankenstein actually work?", it's a lot easier to believe the spider-zombie-bots were just more of the writers thinking "this will be EDGY" rather than "this makes sense for Brother Eye to do".
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:48 am I guess the insanity idea could work, but we generally assume evil machine intelligences to be rational and logical, especially if they reference Hal 9000 a lot, and there wasn't much in the comic to even hint at that theory beyond "This is pretty impractical." Given the ineptitude of the writers in dealing with "how does Black Canary's face on Frankenstein actually work?", it's a lot easier to believe the spider-zombie-bots were just more of the writers thinking "this will be EDGY" rather than "this makes sense for Brother Eye to do".
So aside from the mass murder, slavery, twisted knitting of flesh and metal, and the general psychopathy of the character... there is no evidence but the mountain of evidence that Brother Eye is crazy.

The whole, "How does it work" thing never holds water with me when it comes to these kinds of scenarios. Her cry is magic, Frankenstein is a patchwork zombie, and it is all taking place in a cyborg post apocalypse, is it really hard to think that they jammed all the mechanisms necessary for it to work into the zombie chest?

I get that some people look at it and think it is stupid (and it is certainly the wrong kind of trash to peddle on Free Comic Book Day) but for me, it works.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:58 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:48 am I guess the insanity idea could work, but we generally assume evil machine intelligences to be rational and logical, especially if they reference Hal 9000 a lot, and there wasn't much in the comic to even hint at that theory beyond "This is pretty impractical." Given the ineptitude of the writers in dealing with "how does Black Canary's face on Frankenstein actually work?", it's a lot easier to believe the spider-zombie-bots were just more of the writers thinking "this will be EDGY" rather than "this makes sense for Brother Eye to do".
So aside from the mass murder, slavery, twisted knitting of flesh and metal, and the general psychopathy of the character... there is no evidence but the mountain of evidence that Brother Eye is crazy.

The whole, "How does it work" thing never holds water with me when it comes to these kinds of scenarios. Her cry is magic, Frankenstein is a patchwork zombie, and it is all taking place in a cyborg post apocalypse, is it really hard to think that they jammed all the mechanisms necessary for it to work into the zombie chest?

I get that some people look at it and think it is stupid (and it is certainly the wrong kind of trash to peddle on Free Comic Book Day) but for me, it works.
I mean, if the idea WAS that Brother Eye had gone insane, I would have expected that to show up more in character dialogue. Mass murder, slavery, all these things fall under "evil" rather than "insane" quite easily. I know this is a recurring issue with comic books (see almost everyone in Arkham Aslyum), but we've seen apparently sane villains with far more ludicrous and convoluted plans.
It's not insanity, it's Bad Writing (TM)

As for the logistics...yes, it does matter. That's how you write good speculative fiction, you minimize the bullshit people need to accept. I'd at least like a neck fitted in their, so she has vocal cords, and the on-fleek makeup highlights the naked contrivances at play. The tagline for the superman movie was "You will believe a man can fly", and that's the essence of it. Good comic-book events allow you to be deeply invested in the existential struggles of somebody's cloned evil twin from an alternate universe who as killed by magic and rebuilt by quantum tech-tech. Bad comic-book events just remind you out ludicrous everything is.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville