The Expanse - season three

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
MadAmosMalone
Officer

Re: The Expanse - season three

Post by MadAmosMalone »

I read on Reddit that tonight's Expanse will be a two hour special with limited commercials. It starts at 9:00pm EDT and concludes at about 10:30 or so. Just in case you thought the season finale would be shown over two parts in two weeks, it's a one night show.
ORCACommander
Officer

Post by ORCACommander »

the one night i am at a house with syfy channel and i did not know this was happening >_<
Xaios
Redshirt

Post by Xaios »

Damn, what an incredible season of television.
MadAmosMalone
Officer

Post by MadAmosMalone »

Completely agree. Some of the best television I've seen since B5.
lsgreg
Officer

Post by lsgreg »

Yeah, this season was great. Hopefully Amazon will stream the new season less than a year from now.
MadAmosMalone
Officer

Post by MadAmosMalone »

We've pre-ordered the DVD set. Already got the first two seasons.

Somebody on Reddit drew comparisons between The Expanse and Firefly. I admit, the similarity of characters alone, invites comparison between the shows but are they more alike than not?
ORCACommander
Officer

Post by ORCACommander »

well there are some similar basics, but there is a big difference in that the roci's crew aren't criminals with a code of honor. rather they are outlaws lead by a man with something of a savior complex
lsgreg
Officer

Post by lsgreg »

Well, I would say The Expanse and Firefly both borrow from the Anime "Outlaw Star" as a source material. In Outlaw Star is a collection of outcasts who is kinda on the thin line between the factions of the story and searching for an amazing piece of technology/mythology. There was even a mysterious girl in cryo who appears in the first episode of Outlaw Star. The Rocci is kinda like the "outlaw Star" ship which is the little ship that took on fleets of enemy ships. Gene Starwind is almost like Holden with his savior complex. There are some anime tropes, but if you get past that, it is definitely worth a look.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Well, Firefly was just Joss Whedon creating his own chance to tell Han Solo stories.
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

For someone who read the books long ago: How did season 3 turn out?

I'll admit that I actually lost a lot of interest in the show based on how season 2 went. I thought season 1 was fantastic, but after spending an entire season for half of the first book, the fact that the climax of the first book was like the 4th episode felt really offputting. It was like they were regretting the fact that they introduced some important characters too early and had to rush to get the point where Shohreh Aghdashlooh could actually have an impact on the plot.

I actually still could go back and watch all of it, it's just annoying when you think an adaptation is going for a slow burn, dwelling on parts you thought were tedious, and then it steps on the gas and skims over some of your favorite bits. This has happened with some other shows for me, the worst was when Starz skimmed over the most interesting bits of the Spartacus history (mostly during to budgetary limits) during their Spartacus series.