Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
armoredlancer
Redshirt

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by armoredlancer »

His incredibly bizarre rant in the Elaan of Troyius review
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

clearspira wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:59 am
Nealithi wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:24 am Star Trek: Insurrection
The area I disagree with Chuck is that the planet should not be blasted with the collector and stripped of its life giving powers. With a planet working like this you have millions of years worth of resource. Collecting it into a big can makes it a finite resource with no inkling it will return. So you will dynamite the fountain of youth, to collect the spray, because you don't want to live in nor visit the everglades. Further, I agree to stopping the collector because you do not know if it will even work. Admiral Dougherty's own words. "Our best scientists already have (looked at the device) We don't understand how it works." So how do you know 'if'?
The Federation's capability to simulate how well technology will work is extremely high thanks to the holodeck and its quantum level computers.
I would disagree with you on holodeck simulations. TNG they could not get any real data because the results had not been pre-programmed into the holodeck. Note the second Moriarty episode for that. Voyager when Harry was going to lead them through a slipstream the simulation said everything was fine. Then Voyager crashed. And the line wasn't "We did all the simulations, it will work." It was. "Our best people have already looked. We have no idea how it works."
TrueMetis
Officer

Post by TrueMetis »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:58 pm okay, I see why "Tatto" would be offensive but I just sometimes don't get the dislike of the magical Native American archetype in general because if anything, it's saying white people are inferior because we can't do magic. I can see why that could still be offensive but still.
Aside from the fact that typically the magical Native American is only there to help out the main character, who's almost always a white guy, and therefore allowing for no agency. It dehumanizes Native American's by allowing them no flaws. And I get that that's kind of a weird thing to say but there it is.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

armoredlancer wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:58 am His incredibly bizarre rant in the Elaan of Troyius review
You mean the weird character debate?
That is not a rant, more a like a comedic parody of a dialectic forum.

Or are you referring to something else?

Cause a rant is more like one person saying one point of view fervently and ad nauseam.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

I was upset with Samus riding a Yoshi. After all, everyone knows that Samus would be in Morph ball form on the Yoshi.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

TrueMetis wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:14 am
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:58 pm okay, I see why "Tatto" would be offensive but I just sometimes don't get the dislike of the magical Native American archetype in general because if anything, it's saying white people are inferior because we can't do magic. I can see why that could still be offensive but still.
Aside from the fact that typically the magical Native American is only there to help out the main character, who's almost always a white guy, and therefore allowing for no agency. It dehumanizes Native American's by allowing them no flaws. And I get that that's kind of a weird thing to say but there it is.
I'm actually reminded a bit of James Cameron's space smurf movie. As I watched it, I couldn't help but note that aside from a dreamcatcher hanging on the wall in the background of the corporate guy's office, there was nothing Native aside from that, and no Native characters aside from the smurfs standing in for them. Like, could you just see a Native giving some of the other human characters the stink eye for hurling the word "savage" about like they did? Or how sad would it be to see some Native characters going right along with the rest of them and doing the same thing?
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

I think that Tattoo is worse than Threshold. At least with Threshold you can laugh at it if you're drunk. Tattoo is just awful, with that constant racist message that makes it completely intolerable.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

And if that wasn't bad enough, it's also really boring.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

and this isn't really on Chuck so much as the writer of "How Sharper then a Serpent's Tooth" but Chuck seemed to go along with it. Ancient Astronaut theorists aren't racist in saying older civilizations couldn't build their amazing architecture alone, the idea is that back then NO ONE could do that alone. they'd be saying the same thing if they were white people.

and wile it could still be a possibility if we ever meet aliens in real life but I'm not sure if I agree with what Chuck said in his companion video to "First Contact(episode)". why would aliens travel millions of light years just to kill us? wouldn't they be beyond any form of violence?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:10 pmthe idea is that back then NO ONE could do that alone.
And that is provably wrong, thus the basis for that "theory" is null and void. Besides, stating that none of our ancestors could've done it, is just a mild covering of "not ingenious enough", which is outright laughable if you have a look at what humans pull off on a daily basis. Just have a look at some DIY videos. We are doing outlandish stuff that blows the mind now. What makes you think we didn't do that in the past already? Just because you couldn't think of a viable method, it doesn't mean our ancestors couldn't either. Besides, our perspective onto many things is heavily skewed by our upringing. We are used to machines that do a lot of our work for us, thus we naturally assume that many things are hard to impossible to do without those machines. But just because it's outside of our perspective, doesn't mean that it was outside the perspective of our forefathers and -mothers.
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:10 pmand wile it could still be a possibility if we ever meet aliens in real life but I'm not sure if I agree with what Chuck said in his companion video to "First Contact(episode)". why would aliens travel millions of light years just to kill us? wouldn't they be beyond any form of violence?
High technology doesn't make you magically immune to violence. In fact, the very reason for why a race might rise to the apex in any given environment, is a certain level of agression or agressive expansion. Just have a look into any natural habitat on this planet. It ain't the docile herbivores eating leaves all day that dominate their habitat. It's the wolves, the wasps and the sharks.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox