Star Trek (DIS): The Wolf Inside

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BigGator5
Redshirt

Post by BigGator5 »

Are you okay, Chuck? You're voice sounds like you are just now dropping your balls.
"There are worse things out there, than reptiles." -BigGator5
Worffan101
Captain

Re: Star Trek (DIS): The Wolf Inside

Post by Worffan101 »

He's probably going insane from trying to watch Discovery. I know that when I watched STD, it pissed me off more than The 100, and I actually rage-quite The 100 after Clexagate.
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

BigGator5 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:03 pm Star Trek (DIS): The Wolf Inside

Are you okay, Chuck? You're voice sounds like you are just now dropping your balls.
I've got something wrong with my throat. This is actually after editing out the worst parts, believe it or not.

Just wait until you get to Mobile Suit Gundam 3!
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

With the exception of ''Mirror Mirror'' and Part 2 of ''In the Mirror Darkly'' I cannot stand the Mirror universe, they are my equivalent of Ferengi episodes.

''Mirror Mirror'' was at its heart a character analysis. We see Kirk at his absolute best; not willing to let innocents die even though it is creating enemies for him all over the ship. Mirror Spock is still very much our Spock, you can believe this man existing in our universe if the Federation was different. No one here is dumb with their evil, they are not evil for evil's sake; everything has a purpose that has been thought out. And even the fanservice in the uniforms and the Captain's Woman all had a purpose to tell you exactly what sort of hellish patriarchal world this was compared to the equal rights of the Federation.

''In the Mirror Darkly'' is full of hammy cardboard cut outs who are evil because they love it, but it is the last love letter to TOS we have ever had in this series and thus it rates for me as a top episode. The DS9 Mirror episodes are made of the same pork and cardboard, only these have none of the nostalgic charm and thus are instantly forgettable imo.

And no, I refuse to let go the fact that every Mirror universe episode after ''Mirror Mirror'' objectified the majority of our female leads as nymphos and/or lesbians. Its offensive towards women, gays, good storytelling, and continued the negative stereotypes that men who watched Star Trek at the time had.

All I know of the Mirror universe in STD is Chuck's reviews and hammy still seems to be in full effect if nothing else.
BigGator5
Redshirt

Post by BigGator5 »

SFDebris wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:24 pmI've got something wrong with my throat. This is actually after editing out the worst parts, believe it or not.

Genuinely worried about you.

Anyway, have you heard about the STD Lawsuit yet?
"There are worse things out there, than reptiles." -BigGator5
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

clearspira wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:05 pm With the exception of ''Mirror Mirror'' and Part 2 of ''In the Mirror Darkly'' I cannot stand the Mirror universe, they are my equivalent of Ferengi episodes.

''Mirror Mirror'' was at its heart a character analysis. We see Kirk at his absolute best; not willing to let innocents die even though it is creating enemies for him all over the ship. Mirror Spock is still very much our Spock, you can believe this man existing in our universe if the Federation was different. No one here is dumb with their evil, they are not evil for evil's sake; everything has a purpose that has been thought out. And even the fanservice in the uniforms and the Captain's Woman all had a purpose to tell you exactly what sort of hellish patriarchal world this was compared to the equal rights of the Federation.

''In the Mirror Darkly'' is full of hammy cardboard cut outs who are evil because they love it, but it is the last love letter to TOS we have ever had in this series and thus it rates for me as a top episode. The DS9 Mirror episodes are made of the same pork and cardboard, only these have none of the nostalgic charm and thus are instantly forgettable imo.

And no, I refuse to let go the fact that every Mirror universe episode after ''Mirror Mirror'' objectified the majority of our female leads as nymphos and/or lesbians. Its offensive towards women, gays, good storytelling, and continued the negative stereotypes that men who watched Star Trek at the time had.

All I know of the Mirror universe in STD is Chuck's reviews and hammy still seems to be in full effect if nothing else.
No more offensive than Mirror Tyranny idiocy being offensive to anyone who suffered under real one.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

clearspira wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:05 pmAnd no, I refuse to let go the fact that every Mirror universe episode after ''Mirror Mirror'' objectified the majority of our female leads as nymphos and/or lesbians. Its offensive towards women, gays, good storytelling, and continued the negative stereotypes that men who watched Star Trek at the time had.
Good pot overall, but this is an especially good point considering what STD did to Teh Gayz.

I prefer to think of Mirror Kira as just an overwhelming narcissist, and don't like to watch the later MU episodes other than In a Mirror, Darkly (which, yeah, it's fucking hilarious to see Archer act like his season 1 self and be portrayed as a cartoonish, stupid villain instead of being shoved at us as some great brilliant hero). If I'm ever a Star Trek writer doing a Mirror episode, I will write Teh Gayz in the Prime universe and have their Mirror counterparts be straight, just because I feel like it.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

BigGator5 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:27 pm
SFDebris wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:24 pmI've got something wrong with my throat. This is actually after editing out the worst parts, believe it or not.

Didn't watch your video because I don't give pageviews to alt-Reich types as a matter of principle, but I can tell you based on my (limited) knowledge of copyright law and cursory research that the lawsuit by that indy game dev is toast because you can't actually trademark an idea, only a particular implementation of an idea. You can trademark certain names, combinations of names and costume pieces, for example "Klingon" or the TNG Klingon makeup, that can be sued over, but you can't trademark stuff like "Alien" or generic aliens with a proud warrior race guy style.

If the guy had obviously similar names and character concepts for each of the characters to the STD cast and/or there was a way to prove that STD's "writers" (I use the term loosely because they clearly were doing more shrooms than writing when they cooked up this bullshit queerbaiting shit show) had at some point seen and/or played the guy's game...then he'd have a case. Since AFAIK neither of those really seems to be the case...I can't see this lawsuit getting anywhere fast.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

I liked Crossover. But the mirror episodes after that on DS9 were... not very good.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Worffan101 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:26 pm
BigGator5 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:27 pm

Didn't watch your video because I don't give pageviews to alt-Reich types as a matter of principle, but I can tell you based on my (limited) knowledge of copyright law and cursory research that the lawsuit by that indy game dev is toast because you can't actually trademark an idea, only a particular implementation of an idea. You can trademark certain names, combinations of names and costume pieces, for example "Klingon" or the TNG Klingon makeup, that can be sued over, but you can't trademark stuff like "Alien" or generic aliens with a proud warrior race guy style.

If the guy had obviously similar names and character concepts for each of the characters to the STD cast and/or there was a way to prove that STD's "writers" (I use the term loosely because they clearly were doing more shrooms than writing when they cooked up this bullshit queerbaiting shit show) had at some point seen and/or played the guy's game...then he'd have a case. Since AFAIK neither of those really seems to be the case...I can't see this lawsuit getting anywhere fast.
The game is called Tardigrades and the titular Tardigrades are identical to the creature that Trek calls a Tardigrade. There is a case here.