SW The Old Republic: Sith Inquisitor

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: SW The Old Republic: Sith Inquisitor

Post by Karha of Honor »

SuccubusYuri wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:45 am I dunno, Lucas, and now Disney, have gone to great lengths to present the Jedi as...pretty colossal, out of touch douchebags. xD
Compared to?

Every institution has to fail because it's Star Wars, not Star Peace.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

personally i think having an HK droid around in the main group is good because the sarcasm and using the most violent and efficient method is usually something i like to at least hear said. Too often the heroes only list the good options and don't have someone offer them the easy or more morally questionable option.

Also i just want a droid party member who will say some thing, like "Information, master if these meatbags ask us to do one more fetch quests, then i will have to kill them as soon as they are of no further use."
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:46 pm
SuccubusYuri wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:45 am I dunno, Lucas, and now Disney, have gone to great lengths to present the Jedi as...pretty colossal, out of touch douchebags. xD
Compared to?

Are you asking for a list of examples or are you just saying that the world sucks and people shouldn't hope for anything better because it's all futile, for the sake of it?
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

SuccubusYuri wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:18 am
Slash Gallagher wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:46 pm
Compared to?

Are you asking for a list of examples or are you just saying that the world sucks and people shouldn't hope for anything better because it's all futile, for the sake of it?
Long term peace is fairly futile hope for the franchise because it was always sold being about conflict. The Jedi Order is not that douchey compared to everything around it.
TrueMetis
Officer

Post by TrueMetis »

Honestly the most unbelievable thing about the story is that there wasn't more conflict. Really you're a near galaxy spanning government and you don't have an actual army? The fuck?

Given that at best the Republic would be an absolute clusterfuck of a government because of its size it would have to have an army to put down the many attempts that would be made at independence. Yet somehow the Republic is so stable is takes a Sith secretly messing around in the background to end decades, if not centuries, of peace and cause a major conflict.
Last edited by TrueMetis on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Well it has a psychic police force directed by God.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

TrueMetis wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:53 am Honestly the most unbelievable thing about the story is that there wasn't more conflict. Really you're a near galaxy spanning government and you don't have an actual army? The fuck?

Given that at best the Republic would be an absolute clusterfuck of a government because of its size it would have to have an army to put down the many attempts that would be made at independence. Yet somehow the Republic is so stable is takes a Sith secretly messing around in the background to end decades, if not centuries, of peace and cause a major conflict.
What if i told you Japan was peaceful after the Tokugaswa's took over up till the middle of the 19th century?
TrueMetis
Officer

Post by TrueMetis »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:43 am
TrueMetis wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:53 am Honestly the most unbelievable thing about the story is that there wasn't more conflict. Really you're a near galaxy spanning government and you don't have an actual army? The fuck?

What if i told you Japan was peaceful after the Tokugaswa's took over up till the middle of the 19th century?
I would say what little I know about about Japan at the time makes it not very comparable to the Republic.
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

TrueMetis wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:53 amHonestly the most unbelievable thing about the story is that there wasn't more conflict. Really you're a near galaxy spanning government and you don't have an actual army? The fuck?

The size of the Republic is actually a good argument against maintaining a standing army; who is there to fight? In the absence of the Sith Empire, most of the military budget would go to the Navy, and be dedicated primarily to combating pirates with battlecruisers rather than maintaining big, slow, expensive capital ships.

The British kept a small professional army and huge navy during the height of its empire. The US didn't even have a standing army until post-WW2.
TrueMetis
Officer

Post by TrueMetis »

When I say army I'm using that as a catchall, the Republic didn't have much of a navy either, and realistically the 3 million or so clones would still be to small for the massive Republic even during peace.