Transformers: Return of Optimus Prime 2

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
slochmoeller
Redshirt

Transformers: Return of Optimus Prime 2

Post by slochmoeller »

Great review

To paraphrase a comment a friend of mine made, this episode is one of the great works of fan service. The whole galaxy is losing it's mind and the only person IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE who can save the day is Optimus Prime.

For my part, when I rented it on video many years ago as a kid, I mistakenly thought this was the final episode and Galvatron's truce was actually the end of the entire Autobot Decepticon War. In some ways, I still think that's the most fitting end to the series, In a similar way to "Kirk makes peace with the Klingons" was a fitting end to Classic Trek. (Star Trek 6)
Robovski
Captain

Re: Transformers: Return of Optimus Prime 2

Post by Robovski »

That WGN Channel 9 promo takes me back; Channel 9 in Chicago is where young me would watch the Transformers after school. As I've said in the movie review, I didn't get to watch the movie that summer so I never got to see Optimus die - this footage is all I had of the death until I was able to see the movie.
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

slochmoeller wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:53 pm Great review

To paraphrase a comment a friend of mine made, this episode is one of the great works of fan service. The whole galaxy is losing it's mind and the only person IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE who can save the day is Optimus Prime.

For my part, when I rented it on video many years ago as a kid, I mistakenly thought this was the final episode and Galvatron's truce was actually the end of the entire Autobot Decepticon War. In some ways, I still think that's the most fitting end to the series, In a similar way to "Kirk makes peace with the Klingons" was a fitting end to Classic Trek. (Star Trek 6)
Honestly, if you ask me it SHOULD have been the finale. Well, maybe with the addition of restoring Cybertron to the golden age again like in Rebirth, but other than that yeah, this is how it should have ended.

Especially since it seems The Matrix cured Galvatron's insanity.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

I remember when I was a kid the return of optimus prime was one of my fav eps (mainly because it was the first one I ever rented from the videostore back in the 80s)Honestly after watching the whole season 3 and Season 4 return of Optimus prime is where they should have ended G1 at instead of the rebirth (which had alot of potential but was a mess in general).
Trinary
Officer

Post by Trinary »

The episode was goofy, driven by the felt-need to undo a massive screw up ... but dammit I still love it. The endings of both parts are suitably epic, especially part two.

Quintesson: Stop, please stop!
Galvatron: Never quintesson! This world is ours! Optimus Prime shall die AGAIN!

Then Prime's chest open, the Matrix shimmers ... and the most epic song ever starts playing. And just like that, all the episode's flaws are forgiven.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Yeah, I also call this one the end of the G1 Cartoon continuity as far as my personal head-canon goes. Sometimes you just have to opt out of the official canon, for personal enjoyment reasons.
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

CrypticMirror wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:02 pmSometimes you just have to opt out of the official canon, for personal enjoyment reasons.
The mantra of every Mass Effect fan who hated how the ending ruined ME3.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Revolverman
Redshirt

Post by Revolverman »

CrypticMirror wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:02 pm Sometimes you just have to opt out of the official canon, for personal enjoyment reasons.
Some threads here could use that advice.
Trinary
Officer

Post by Trinary »

How fitting that this came out today: Death Battle: Optimus Prime vs. Gundam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyh2iO0rCh4

I love it when the various internet things I follow synch up like this.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

Trinary wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:59 pm How fitting that this came out today: Death Battle: Optimus Prime vs. Gundam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyh2iO0rCh4

I love it when the various internet things I follow synch up like this.
Lol and it went the way I thought it would. Not bias because of nostalgia but because of all the experiance Optimus has.