Favorite Funniest SF Debris moment?

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Re: Favorite Funniest SF Debris moment?

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Koshundheit wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:46 am Can't recall Chuck discussing or ever hearing anywhere else if they actually thought she was going to be a good character. It is known they thought Neelix was going to be great, did they do the same here? If so, one would hope they'd have learned something.
They thought they were just making a new Bones, and that her being snarky and dismissive and a little racist would play her against Data the same way it did with McCoy and Spock, and recapture some of that old flavor

It... didn't work out. Mostly because they made her TOO unlikable out the gate. Maybe if she'd started in season 1 before the audience knew anything about Data so her prejudices and questions could have also been ours and come up within the first episode that dynamic would have worked and fleshed out over time, but by season 2 it was too late, Data was already a breakout character and we were totally on his side.

It would be like having someone join the permanent cast that was racist against Klingons that kept being pissy to Worf, there would just be no way to like them.

Note that Obrien was racist to Kardasians, but that was okay.... because all the season he was on TNG he never had to regularly interact with any, and even on DS9 outside of Garak we didn't have any regular Kardasians that he had to work with.... and he had almost no scenes with Garak. (While Bashir had tons.) ...actually, I'm failing to think of ANY scenes with just Obrien and Garak. I'm sure there MUST be some, they were on some missions as a group, but none of just those two come to mind.

But anyway, Bones 2.0 was pretty clearly what they were going for.

Similarly later on they brought in Ro to be the edgy outsider but didn't make her an asshole... and also didn't really give her all that much edge.

ANd then after that they made it the entire premise of Voyager to have half the crew not be starfleet and all the conflicts that resulted from that, and they dropped that after the third episode. (I've often wodnered if the Maquis had been left in different outfit instead of going immediately into starfleet uniforms, if that unease would have worked itself more into the acting and writing.)
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:37 am It... didn't work out. Mostly because they made her TOO unlikable out the gate. Maybe if she'd started in season 1 before the audience knew anything about Data so her prejudices and questions could have also been ours and come up within the first episode that dynamic would have worked and fleshed out over time, but by season 2 it was too late, Data was already a breakout character and we were totally on his side.
I think the main difference that really worked against it is that Spock was fully adult and despite being "emotionless" was quite capable of understanding the insults and returning them in kind. Data, on the other hand, is often written as childlike and innocent so she's not only the new character being rude to a beloved established one, but doing so to a character who is emotionally a kid. Instead of the friendly sparring between Spock and Bones, it's someone being condescending and intentionally abusive to a character who can't fight back.

Rewatching her in recent years, I find she's actually not as bad as I used to think of her, and she softens up a lot by the end of the season. I suspect her and Data would have formed a close bond if she'd continued on the show, but we never got that, so we're just left with a year of discomfort instead.
Koshundheit
Officer

Post by Koshundheit »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:37 am
They thought they were just making a new Bones, and that her being snarky and dismissive and a little racist would play her against Data the same way it did with McCoy and Spock, and recapture some of that old flavor
Wow, if that's what they thought, these people really needed to bounce their ideas off others first. McCoy and Spock had a unique situation. Spock, in the TOS days, openly considered strict logic superior to accepting emotions. So McCoy was usually picking at Spock's claims in some way, and except in a crisis it was usually done a good natured way. Spock of course was great at counterpunching illogical arguments. I'm not sure Spock could have been a likable character without Bones, and their banter added good discussion about dispassionate logic versus a more human approach. They weren't doing anything like that with Dr. Pulaski, and the results were dismissiveness and condescension. She was written better in Unnatural Selection, but that was an exception. Oh well, like Chuck, I was very happy to have Dr. Crusher back.
Note that Obrien was racist to Kardasians, but that was okay.... because all the season he was on TNG he never had to regularly interact with any, and even on DS9 outside of Garak we didn't have any regular Kardasians that he had to work with.... and he had almost no scenes with Garak. (While Bashir had tons.) ...actually, I'm failing to think of ANY scenes with just Obrien and Garak. I'm sure there MUST be some, they were on some missions as a group, but none of just those two come to mind.
Well I've got a lot of disdain for Kardasians myself. :D As for Cardassians, it more depends on the person. A difference was that with O'Brien, in the very episode where he was first shown to have baggage about them, he also realized by the end of the episode that it was unfair to resent all their kind for what had happened. He was more left with a sense from a line in DS9, "You learn to watch your backs around those people." So he knows many Cardassians may be fine people, but he's had bad experiences and he's learned to be cautious. Garak and O'Brien had one particular episode of note: Empok Nor. O'Brien doesn't end up showing any hatred towards Garak despite a major conflict.
Blaze Rocker wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:31 am It's gotta be Voyager's 'Course Oblivion' for me. I'm sure there are funnier reviews but that is my go-to.
Chuck's reaction to Tom and B'Elanna writing their own vows gets me every time.
Though not related, I also love how Chuck rolls the dice to see what Chakotay has always been interested in. Incompetent Neelix comments and Parody Janeway just make the Voyager reviews his best series in my opinion.
It is hard to top the Voyager reviews. The elements you list all come together so well. I enjoy Kate Mulgrew's performance as Janeway, but always did have thoughts that the writers went really wrong with her. I cannot imagine a better, funnier way of illustrating it than Chuck's parody. Most every time Neelix was on the screen throughout the series, I was always like WTH. And while I don't know as much as I'd like about my partially Native American ancestry, it was obvious that the way Chakotay was handled was so stereotyped and racist. So due to those and many other factors, I find the Voyager reviews both often hilarious and maybe a bit therapeutic.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

I always thought the funniest things was the parts where he had the captains interacting with each other. Between Archer ranting about vulcans and Janeway trying to kill whoever (plus freaking out picard) was always good for a laugh.

Looking back Since there was the joke about Starfleet consulors being lousy at their job i'm surprsed he didn't make any jokes about Ezri pulling a Deanna and wrecking a shuttle.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

I greatly look forward to seeing how he integrates Lorca into that bit.
slochmoeller
Redshirt

Post by slochmoeller »

Koshundheit wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:13 pm
Note that Obrien was racist to Kardasians,...
Well I've got a lot of disdain for Kardasians myself. :D ...
Just as an aside, the near homonym of Cardassians/Kardashians I've always found to be one of those things that, in your bones you can feel there's a joke there, but it's really hard to construct and pull off. Sad to say, both Chuck's and honest trailer's attempts at it have come up short.
cloudkitt
Officer

Post by cloudkitt »

Blaze Rocker wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:31 amI also love how Chuck rolls the dice to see what Chakotay has always been interested in.
This might very well be my favorite of his running gags.
turbo_sailor67
Officer

Post by turbo_sailor67 »

sayla0079 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:21 am I always thought the funniest things was the parts where he had the captains interacting with each other.
Oh yeah, where mirror Janeway has a goatee and is nice. Haha that's a pretty good one but I've found a new one that I just really like for some strange reason. It's from his "Haven" and it's a parody Picard moment who is probably my favorite parody character (parody Janeway just isn't that extreme from normal Janeway but yes the spider gag never gets old)

Parody Picard: I'll just go to my office - oh wait, this IS my office! Why don't YOU two piss off and whine somewhere else?!

I don't know why I find that hilarious but I do! There's just something that strikes me about military life with that.
remagynona
Redshirt

Post by remagynona »

Any time Chuck draws attention to budget related miniaturization of set pieces. His jokes about the clown car shuttle on ST and UFO on X-Files always get me to chuckle. Deep down I always knew something looked wrong there but couldn't quite put my finger on it, but when it's pointed out that there are supposedly multiple people in a spaceship that could fit in a coat closet, it kills me.
Rose Garden Witch
Redshirt

Post by Rose Garden Witch »

Another thing I though was hilarious was in his review of the X-Files episode, Our Town where he has the crashing UFO make chicken sounds.
What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets!! But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!
Count Dracula.